• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SFL or Trinovid/Ultravid? (3 Viewers)

If CA is your biggest issue, neither the SFL or the UV is ideal. They're not bad for CA, but they're not the best.

I suggest looking around for a good deal on either a Zeiss SF 8x42 or a EL 8.5x42. Either model will probably be available in like-new 2nd-hand condition for well under Euro 2,000, if you're willing to wait a little for one to come up.

Even new, you can probably get them for under Euro 2,000, if you look around. A quick search on-line shows me a UK retailer selling the SF 8x42 for GBP 1,800. And I don't know if you can also buy them under the Zeiss trade-in rebate (if you have a pair of junk binos to get rid of).

I'm not sure about the issues you were referring to with the SF externals. There were some complaints about the original grey version (although I didn't have an issue with them). I've not seen complaints about the black versions.

EDIT- One final note: if you are willing to spend a little more to get the best of the best (in terms of CA control, FOV and build quality), I have a pair of perfect condition, unused NL 8x42 that I'm looking to get at least $2,400 for (just under Euro 2,200 at current rates). I bought them from the UK, and took delivery in the US, just before I left last summer. The box was opened, and I've looked through them at home, but they've been in storage in the US since last summer, and I'll be back there this July. I don't know if you'll be hit by big import fees if I post them to NL from US, but perhaps you know someone who's travelling from the US and can hand-carry them?

Last edited:
I'm searching for better optics ( in the range between 1k and 2.5k euro's)
Don, you should have a look at the prices quoted by German sellers.
Ultravid HD+ is 2400 Euro's here in the Netherlands,
In Germany, you can buy a bnib 8x42 UV+ for some 1900€ at any time from reputable sellers. For less, if you're patient or ask for an individual quote.
I like the Noctivid, absolutely. Price tag is too steep for me, sadly.
You can buy those for a few hundred € below your budget at any time in Germany.
The warranty and service of Swarovski is great, Leica doesn't come close to that here in Europe from what I red.
My experience differs greatly from what you have read. I had Leica service my binoculars three times and I was very pleased with their service each time. For my only experience with Swarovski see this thread: What are these spots on the objective lenses?

You can also find very good Leica glass for under 1K here in The Netherlands, Trinovid BN, Ultravid and Ultravid HD.
Not the latest and greatest but really nice glass.

They need to last at least 10 years or so ( I'll treat them properly ofc. ). I perfer Leica's saturated optics by a bit...
Even cheap ones will last 10 years if treated well, but with your view preference and what others have said from both the Netherlands and Germany, it looks like you could easily find your way into either and Ultravid, or Noctivid even.

Absolutely, but we’ll need two. One for rational, common sense people who see what’s going on and can have stimulating open minded conversation about policy and events, and another section for the brain washed zombies that walk among us 🤪.
With all due respect, there are countless online venues for that. This site is supposed to be about binoculars -- a refuge from politics just like birdwatching or hiking. Again, there appears to be a dire need for a Politics section on Bird Forum to satisfy those wishing to turn optics into politics.

Perhaps an Optics & Politics or a Political Optics section would fill that need.

Last edited:
Check them all out and decide what You like the best. All great glasses. The limited fov of the Trinovid would sway me away from them though. They are truly delightful but the narrow fov is their Achilles heel. An el 8.5x42 would be high on my list as well. Especially since used ones in like new shape are selling for peanuts. Everybody has to have the latest and greatest.

With all due respect, there are countless online venues for that. This site is supposed to be about binoculars -- a refuge from politics just like birdwatching or hiking. Again, there appears to be a dire need for a Politics section on Bird Forum to satisfy those wishing to turn optics into politics.

Perhaps an Optics & Politics or a Political Optics section would fill that need.
Actually, there IS something called 'ruffled feathers' on Birdforum, but little political snippets tend to sneak-in to threads outside that sandbox. Unfortunate in the same way that mud-slinging not infrequently starts when discussing optics.

With regards to thread topic: I've been using my SFL40's and Leicas (either NV, UVHD, or 7x35) regularly the past couple of weeks. The one thing that I do really notice more and more, is the Leica saturation and contrast. Everything else about the SFL I love. They are fast and quick to-the-eyes, with a large diameter focuser which permits grippy, quick adjustments (warblers are arriving and it's a real test of field performance for binos!). But particularly in dreary, drizzly, flat-lighting (yesterday was just such a day), the SFL's seem washed out in comparison to the Leica glass. One might argue that one view is more 'real' than the other, but I do think that my ability to discern subtlties in coloration (essential for ID'ing little flitty birds in tall tree tops), is improved with the Leica binos. Even more importantly, when looking into the general direction of bright sky (e.g. early morning birding, sunny or cloudy), the NV's are mind-blowing in their absence of glare, wash-out, etc.

I no longer own the Trinovid 8x32's but my recollection is that they had the same qualities. What I didn't like was the smaller FOV and a bit higher CA.

Well, ladies en gentlemen. I tried the SFL 8x40 and I am pretty blown away to be honest, the (natural) color‘s, the sharpness etc. are great. The CA is also less compared to the GPO ED, and the focus wheel is easier to use in my opinion. Sadly no Ultravid HD+ in store to compare the two.. But I’m really impressed with the SFL, so I bought them. The only downside for me are the lens covers, I have to press quite hard to close them, not sure if that’s normal.

Well, ladies en gentlemen. I tried the SFL 8x40 and I am pretty blown away to be honest, the (natural) color‘s, the sharpness etc. are great. The CA is also less compared to the GPO ED, and the focus wheel is easier to use in my opinion. Sadly no Ultravid HD+ in store to compare the two.. But I’m really impressed with the SFL, so I bought them. The only downside for me are the lens covers, I have to press quite hard to close them, not sure if that’s normal.
The covers most likely will loosen up a bit after some use. If not opticron sells great aftermarket covers. I have to tell you I’m shocked that the $1800 Japanese made binoculars have less CA that the $400 MIC bins. 😜

The covers most likely will loosen up a bit after some use. If not opticron sells great aftermarket covers. I have to tell you I’m shocked that the $1800 Japanese made binoculars have less CA that the $400 MIC bins. 😜
Touché😛 I hope they will loosen up a bit, I’ll buy the opticrons covers if they don’t.

My covers were quite tight. They loosened up enough that I don't think about it. Much better than opticron over-the-armor style.
ymmv!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back