• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Warwickshire (3 Viewers)

? Marsh Warbler

Marsh Warblers do not favour reeds.

Yes Tom,
Further reading they prefer areas of Willow and other bushes with ground cover of Willowherb, nettle and Meadow Sweet, not always near water, but on passage could turn up in scrub like Hawthorn scrub.
I have been contacted by the orginal reportee to Geoff Williams and there is no firm evidence to confirm this bird as a Marsh Warbler.
The last report of Marsh Warbler for Warwickshire was at Coombe Abbey, calling from reeds but I believe it turned out to be a mimicing Reed Warbler. Does anyone know the last Marsh Warbler record for Warwickshire the New Birds of the West Midlands saying Brandon Marsh over shooting migrant May 27th 2001.

Regards, John

Last edited:
According to Collins Bird Guide, Marsh Warblers sing mostly from nightfall to dawn, so this might be worth bearing in mind. I think I'm gonna check some suitable habitat near me this evening!
Matt

I would like to question what an Oxfordshire based bird club is reporting on Warwickshire breeding birds and why the news was even published in the first place? I realise Red Kites are no big breeding news but shouldn't this info have been released via the Warwicksire recorders?

Neil

Spotted Crake

Spotted Crake at Napton Reservoir this evening plus Osprey (caught a fish) and topical ;) Red Kite over.

Regards

John

Attachments

• Spotted_Crake_7299.jpg
    Spotted_Crake_7299.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 80
And had asked for the post to be deleted

I wasn't aware of this, otherwise I could have done something about it (I don't have the option to delete it now). I did consider not posting that information but as Red Kite is not generally such a rare breeding bird now and it is post breeding season I didn't think it would be an issue. Sorry if that is not the case.

Gareth

Pectoral Sandpiper at Brandon Marsh

Pectoral Sandpiper showing well on the big island on East Marsh, Brandon Marsh, this afternoon.

Attachments

• Pectoral Sandpiper s.jpg
    Pectoral Sandpiper s.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 84
Where is this John, I am not familiar

Fisher's mill is the area between Kingsbury Water Park's Richard's Meadow and the Staffordshire County boundary, inbetween the canal and the River Anker, named after a mill on the river called Fisher's mill. Comprising a large meadow called Fisher's mill meadow and the northern end to the Staffordshire border shallow pools and phramities.

Regards, John

Was watching the Starling roost at Brandon tonight & a Merlin did a couple of passes over Newlands & missed a passerine, also 2 Sparrowhawks & a Kestrel.

Mike.

Mealy Redpoll at Earlswood Lakes in recent days. Videograbs on my Twitter page.
This is a lifer for me, so any comments on ID, age, etc welcome.
Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back