• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Warwickshire (2 Viewers)

I managed to see the Spotted Crake between 6.20pm and 7.30pm after spending a lot of hours waiting for it to appear. On news of it being seen from the John Baldwin Hide I changed hides and finally saw it come into view on more than one occassion. Great to see but elusive :eek!:

So is the reserve open after four then? Just wondered as if so I might have a trip down later to look for the Crake

Many thanks
Sam

Brandon this morning 06.00- 08.30.
Grasshopper warblers seem to be numerous this spring. One very vocal bird from Steetley hide giving good and prolonged views.Also one seen by golf course near new hare covert,and double figures heard.

1 Reeve from Wright hide.

Earlswood, 25/04/2011

1 Sandwich Tern still on Windmill Pool buoy at c. 5:15 pm, with 3 found around 10 am this morning. 1 Lesser Whitethroat in scrubland to south of Windmill Pool.
Matt

Brandon this morning 06.00- 08.30.
Grasshopper warblers seem to be numerous this spring. One very vocal bird from Steetley hide giving good and prolonged views.Also one seen by golf course near new hare covert,and double figures heard.

1 Reeve from Wright hide.

A bit later on at 9.30AM I was lucky to get the one by the golf course where the path bends in the open.

Max

Attachments

• IMG_0059 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0059 (Large).JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 83
Nice shot Max,I have at least 7 at Far Ings but they won't let me get a shot in :C Just had 2 weeks in India and tomorrow off to Lesvos for a week 8-P

Hope to catch up with every one next time i'm down
Richard

Draycote Water this morning 19 Bar-tailed Godwit flew through together 8:25am also 2 Common Tern early then a flock of 20 about 10:00am + at least 4 Little Gulls

The Black-throated Diver was still at Shustoke reservoir yesterday morning and although mobile it did come in close a few times.

Max

Attachments

• IMG_1881ab (Large).jpg
    IMG_1881ab (Large).jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1901 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1901 (Large).JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 68
Diver showing very well at the east end of Shustoke today (despite the sailing), often only a few feet from the shoreline

Anyone got details of the night heron reported at Earlswood?

Night Heron found at Earlswood Lakes c. 9:00 am briefly from Malthouse Lane causeway, when last seen flying towards Terry's Pool. The bird reappeared this evening, when age confirmed as adult, first seen over Engine Pool and last seen at Terry's Pool around 8:15 pm - quite mobile. Unfortunately when I refound it I was only able to text one birder before my mobile's batteries went dead (really sorry), after all the texts/calls I made this morning!

There's a good chance it'll still be there tomorrow if anyone's interested. Terry's Pool is the smaller, western one. Closest car park is at Malthouse Lane. Long overdue path maintenance work along the north side of Terry's Pool is due to start tomorrow, but not sure if this will mean less or more disturbance there.

Matt

Last edited:
Night Heron found at Earlswood Lakes c. 9:00 am briefly from Malthouse Lane causeway, when last seen flying towards Terry's Pool. The bird reappeared this evening, when age confirmed as adult, first seen over Engine Pool and last seen at Terry's Pool around 8:15 pm - quite mobile. Unfortunately when I refound it I was only able to text one birder before my mobile's batteries went dead (really sorry), after all the texts/calls I made this morning!

There's a good chance it'll still be there tomorrow if anyone's interested. Terry's Pool is the smaller, western one. Closest car park is at Malthouse Lane. Long overdue path maintenance work along the north side of Terry's Pool is due to start tomorrow, but not sure if this will mean less or more disturbance there.

Matt

Well done Matt, for persevering with your local patch, when all around you are getting birds its hard to stomach and just like Wayne at westwood you scored 'big time' :t:

Night Heron

Spent almost 5 hours at Earlswood Lakes this morning, and despite a few other birders looking, no sign of the heron. However yesterday the bird showed better during the evening and I think it could still be around, so should be worth checking from 7:00 pm onwards. Unfortunately I have to be at a meeting at 7:30 pm this evening, so it could be missed if no-one else has a go. As the bird was found and re-found from the white railings of the causeway in-between Engine and Windmill Pools, I recommend searching for it from there.

Well done Matt, for persevering with your local patch, when all around you are getting birds its hard to stomach and just like Wayne at westwood you scored 'big time' :t:

Cheers John, hope Upton is being well-covered atm with this stunner around.

Matt

Matt

Well its great that the bird got refound, and as John said, a crippler of a bird for a patchworker.
Bit gutted though because i joined the M42 at earlswood at around 8:15pm on my way home, so missed it by a couple of miles. :-C
One of the Growing number of good birds i have missed this year.
Im not going to beat my year record if this keeps happening, the usual birds and the 'local' birds are coming, but the really scarce birds arnt.
Oh well, hope this bird stays untill next saturday, not holding much hope tbh..
MB

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back