• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question on yard birds (1 Viewer)

I live just outside of Philly I wish I had bluebirds here but I haven't put a birdhouse up for just that reason. I know that the Bluebird society of Pennsylvania has coordinators in most counties Here is a link

http://www.thebsp.org/bluebirdcc.html

I think it is similiar to grey squirrels I don't know about mink they are endangered here I think. But rock doves starlings and house sparrows are endangering our native bluebirds and red headed woodpeckers. At this point if I ever do put up a nest box it will be for a screech owl or american kestral or maybe a flying squirrel

I haven't heard or read that Rock Doves (Pigeons) are a threat to Bluebirds. I am curious, How so?

Hi Bill,
I've had similar problems with House Sparrows in CT, with Bluebird nestlings killed by the female HS.
I've heard of the fishing line trick, or the similar approach of streamers dangling near the nest entrance, but have no personal experience with either.
Did you ever get Martins? I tried for years w/o success,
Since then I've learned that a crescent shape entry hole for Martin nests is pretty effective for keeping out Starlings, but not sure about HS. Free hanging gourds may be the best option.

I have had my Martin house up going on four years now and have spent that time evicting House sparrows and discouraging other birds who have tried to nest there. One pair of Bluebirds nested and hatched four young and only one survived. The other three fell from the nest and died of exposure, I then moved the nest and the surviving chick to a Bluebird box within sight and earshot of the Martin house. The parents were visibly upset but after a few hours I saw them bringing food to the chick in the box. I kept watch and saw the chick and the parents in flight later on. I have had a house sparrow explosion around my property, they are everywhere and the nesting prospects for Tree Swallows and Bluebirds look bleak for the upcoming season. They, the sparrows, literally drove the Tree Swallows out last year. The TS's were the first to arrive and nest but the HS's killed three nesting pairs as well as four individual BB's. I made up my mind that the HS's would never hatch a clutch of eggs in any of my boxes or anywhere I could get to their nests and so far the haven't and I will continue to root them out whenever I can.

I have had my Martin house up going on four years now and have spent that time evicting House sparrows and discouraging other birds who have tried to nest there. One pair of Bluebirds nested and hatched four young and only one survived. The other three fell from the nest and died of exposure, I then moved the nest and the surviving chick to a Bluebird box within sight and earshot of the Martin house. The parents were visibly upset but after a few hours I saw them bringing food to the chick in the box. I kept watch and saw the chick and the parents in flight later on. I have had a house sparrow explosion around my property, they are everywhere and the nesting prospects for Tree Swallows and Bluebirds look bleak for the upcoming season. They, the sparrows, literally drove the Tree Swallows out last year. The TS's were the first to arrive and nest but the HS's killed three nesting pairs as well as four individual BB's. I made up my mind that the HS's would never hatch a clutch of eggs in any of my boxes or anywhere I could get to their nests and so far the haven't and I will continue to root them out whenever I can.

I fogot to mention that I have completely sealed off my Martin house and it is now just another lawn ornament!

I was eventually driven to trapping the HSs when they moved into the Bluebird and Tree Swallow nests,. This unit was very easily installed and did not disrupt the Bluebirds at all. http://vanerttraps.com.

I too had a locked Martin house, which is why I'm not suggesting clusters of free swinging gourds. Reportedly they are acceptable to Martins but not attractive to the HS or the Starling., although I've not had any experience with them.

I was eventually driven to trapping the HSs when they moved into the Bluebird and Tree Swallow nests,. This unit was very easily installed and did not disrupt the Bluebirds at all. http://vanerttraps.com.

I too had a locked Martin house, which is why I'm not suggesting clusters of free swinging gourds. Reportedly they are acceptable to Martins but not attractive to the HS or the Starling., although I've not had any experience with them.

Thanks for the link. I can use those boxes to try and rid my garage of HS's that have moved in there.

Hi Gretchen,

Back to your point, there are many good nesting boxes for a variety of birds. Some things that you should consider when buying a birdhouse are location & mounting. Typically a birdhouse should face east and a metal pole mounting will help reduce predators from climbing.

Thanks for the question

Freeport Pa. here and after reading the posts I too agree that the House Sparrow is a nuisance. On my five acres dedicated to native plants and attracting birds the house sparrows have destroyed nesting bluebirds, taken over every house I try to put up and enjoy my feeders. One thing to to use on feeders is only oil sunflower and not the cheap seed in department stores full of millet. I put a house on a pole over water to attract green tree swallows and it worked the first year but was taken over by the house sparrows ever since. Three creatures that I will not tolerate on my little sanctuary are house sparrows, starlings and free roaming cats but I will not get into how I get rid of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back