• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem neighbor (1 Viewer)

Bosco198

United States
I'm retired and got to thinking about all the great birds I saw as a kid and decided to get a few feeders to see what would come by . I got 4 and positioned them off my backporch and on the railings . Well they came and they were incredible . Sometimes they would wait for me to come refill the feeders . They came daily some days a few , someday many . I have a neighbor I'm not friendly with , I tried many times over the years but I could tell for some reason the guy just didn't care for me . Fine , no harm, no foul . Our backyards are sort of adjoined separated by fences and a few other neighbors yards in between . We can all see each other in our backyards and I'm higher than them and look down on them . Well one afternoon on the backpack he saw me called to me and asked to talk . I told him I'd be right overand as I exited my house he was already standing out front . He introduced himself first time ever then asked kindly to stop feeding the birds , he said they were crapping on his deck . Now I'm puzzled , there was no crap on my deck , on my car underneath the deck . Nothing I can see on any other neighbors decks and the birds never seem to come from his direction or fly towards him. Now I agreed to difuse and be nice . I stated I've got one more big brand new bag of feed , would you mind if I used it then I won't order anymore . And he said no , I'd rather you didn't. That was last year , I seen this bag of feed for a year and no birds . Now I'm planning on relocating and wanting to see the birds and get rid of the feed at the same time I put the feeders back out . I hid them so he won't see the feeders but I'm really hoping the birds come back . Is there any law or housing regulation I'm breaking . I'm not looking for trouble , researched a little on the issue and do not think I'm violating and code or policy but just want to be able to qui kly come back at him with legitimate response to anything he may say or do .

Sorry for being so long winded but just thought all the story would make answering or offering advice easier

Westchester , New York

Hi, I’m not sure where you live and if there’s specific council rules surrounding this, but I searched a bit online and Trafford City Council says this (copy and pasted)

Many problems arise when neighbours overfeed birds, which can attract lots of pigeons. There are no laws the Council can use to stop people feeding birds. However, if a large amount of rotting food accumulates, or the feeding is attracting rats or mice, the Council may be able to help.

If the feeding is simply causing nuisance from droppings etc., it is a private matter between neighbours. Try approaching your neighbour to explain the problems that are being caused, and ask them to reduce the amount of food they provide in order to reduce the number of birds that are attracted.

So it sounds like legally he can’t do anything? He might try and take photos of the so called evidence, but I would be the stubborn person I am and just keep feeding if I was sure there was no crap anywhere. You’re probably best off searching up something similar for your council, hope this helps!

Hi Bosco and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I see you're in the States, so I'm not sure what the laws are over there and it's likely every state has different legislation covering your rights and his. But I should imagine if he were to take any legal action he would have to prove a nuisance and/or damage and also get some back-up possible from anyone else affected (if applicable)

I've moved your post to a more suitable forum for Garden birds.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

There are no laws the Council can use to stop people feeding birds. However, if a large amount of rotting food accumulates, or the feeding is attracting rats or mice, the Council may be able to help.
There was a well publicised report of an elderly couple who were served with a local Council order, maybe even ASBO, in regard to feeding birds......despite them doing so for decades. They were "ganged up" by several close neighbours who complained about the number of feral pigeons attracted to the food put out and the associated roosting, resting on their properties, as well as the droppings.
In the case mentioned, I would personally continue feeding until you relocate or the feed runs out. Although the feeders may be out of immediate sight, nosey neighbours usually find something to snoop about.

Last edited:
Hi, first off welcome to the forum. The only thing I can think of that would prohibit this is an HOA rule here in the states. If there is not an HOA rule it should not be illegal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back