• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Bird Small Feeder (1 Viewer)

SamB3711

United Kingdom
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I recently put a bird feeder on my upstairs window where I work and have been getting robins and blue tits and recently young robins and teeny blue tits, which is lovely. Recently, I also had male black bird. I have a couple of questions:

1) The sparrows don't come. I see them in the garden, but they don't come to the box for some reason. Could it be the food (wild small bird seed mix, mealworms, and berry suet pellets)? Or are they just more timid than the other birds?

2) I have had some larger birds try and access the food. There's a raven who has figured out if he flaps his wings hard enough, he can "hover" long enough to make a snatch and grab, and a wood pigeon who somehow got into the feeder then realised he couldn't spread his wings to fly away. He did manage to get out by sort of jumping off backwards, but hasn't tried again since. He just occasionally sits hopefully on the top. I actually don't mind the ravens or wood pigeons, I just don't want them scaring off the smaller birds or getting stuck. Is there some kind of food I can put out elsewhere in the garden that will keep the wood pigeons and ravens happy, but not attract the little birds away from my window feeder?

Attachments

• wood pigeon 1.jpg
    wood pigeon 1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 2
  • wood pigeon 2.jpg
    wood pigeon 2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 2
Hi Sam and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. I have a similar window feeder and have had it for many years now. Sparrows do come to it on occasion, but really seem to prefer feeding on the ground or a larger flat area nearby (neighbour's shed roof). Although I get both Wood Pigeons and some of the larger corvids (Jays, Crows and very occasionally Rooks), they have never been tempted to the window feeder, but eat on the shed roof or on the ground.

The only 'troublesome' birds that try to use the feeder are Starlings as they come mob-handed, all try to muscle in, fights break out and the feeder comes unstuck (fortunately I have a secondary fixing - a piece of string tied to it and threaded through the window to a fixing inside). So I've fitted up a 'bird scarer' which I can activate when I see them trying to feed on it. I only use it for the Starlings though.

I haven't found any of the big birds have frightened away the smaller ones. Fortunately I have Blackbirds too, and when I hear their alarm call I know there's a cat around and can usually chase that away.

Between all the birds, they demolish mixed seed feeds, fat balls, peanuts, grapes, bits of apple and pears. The last three on the ground or shed roof. Seed the same or in hanging feeders or trays on a pole feeder, which is where the fat balls and peanuts are too. Everything likes mealworms, especially during the breeding season.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I was wondering do window feeders increase the chance of birds flying into the window?

Hi, welcome to the forum. I was wondering do window feeders increase the chance of birds flying into the window?
Hi, I've had it up six weeks and they all seem perfectly aware it's a window and I have about 50 visits a day. Have you heard that they do? I certainly wouldn't leave a window open, or even open a window, except for the small one, which is permanently very slightly ajar, because I can see that would definitely be risky as they wouldn't be expecting it. They generally land on my satellite dish first (the robins and the blackbird) or the window ledge (the wood pigeons), then hop up or down. The baby blue tits bolt straight over from the apple tree, grab a suet pellet, and bolts straight back. They know exactly where they are headed! If you think they might be risky, I would hate that, but this particular model is winner of the British Birdwatcher award, so I hope not. I'd actually heard that anything that breaks up the surface of your windows deters birds flying into them. Have you heard otherwise?

Bird strikes on windows usually happen when there is another window on the far side of the room, letting the birds think they can fly straight through to the other side. Without that fairly unusual setup, a window hit is pretty unusual

Bird strikes on windows usually happen when there is another window on the far side of the room, letting the birds think they can fly straight through to the other side. Without that fairly unusual setup, a window hit is pretty unusual
HI, that makes sense, thanks.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. I have a similar window feeder and have had it for many years now. Sparrows do come to it on occasion, but really seem to prefer feeding on the ground or a larger flat area nearby (neighbour's shed roof). Although I get both Wood Pigeons and some of the larger corvids (Jays, Crows and very occasionally Rooks), they have never been tempted to the window feeder, but eat on the shed roof or on the ground.

The only 'troublesome' birds that try to use the feeder are Starlings as they come mob-handed, all try to muscle in, fights break out and the feeder comes unstuck (fortunately I have a secondary fixing - a piece of string tied to it and threaded through the window to a fixing inside). So I've fitted up a 'bird scarer' which I can activate when I see them trying to feed on it. I only use it for the Starlings though.

I haven't found any of the big birds have frightened away the smaller ones. Fortunately I have Blackbirds too, and when I hear their alarm call I know there's a cat around and can usually chase that away.

Between all the birds, they demolish mixed seed feeds, fat balls, peanuts, grapes, bits of apple and pears. The last three on the ground or shed roof. Seed the same or in hanging feeders or trays on a pole feeder, which is where the fat balls and peanuts are too. Everything likes mealworms, especially during the breeding season.

Hi and thanks for the welcome. That makes sense. I saw three sparrows this morning hopping out in my tufty overgrown lawn, so I guess that's where they're happiest. None of the birds that regularly come to the feeder seem bothered by the larger birds (though if a blue tit and a robin arrive at the same time, the blue tit goes back to the tree to wait its turn) I was just wondering whether the sparrows (and I think I also have a wren that never visits) were more timid, but I guess they're just enjoyed the lawn.

Welcome to Birdforum.

I used to have one of those window feeders and it was used mainly by blue tits and great tits. I took it down as the squirrels discovered it and would sit in it, eating until it was empty. :mad: 😂

Ummm. Nope. Wood pigeons are well known for flying into my study window and there is no other window making them think they can fly through. One bounced off the window this morning even with me sitting at my desk.

Not in my experience. Think I've had two, on that window in 25 years. A few more than that on a window on a different wall - including a young Sparrowhawk - he flew away OK after a few minutes recovery. Bet he had a headache though LOL

I was just wondering whether the sparrows (and I think I also have a wren that never visits) were more timid, but I guess they're just enjoyed the lawn.
I never say "never" but so far I've not heard of a wren coming to a feeder, they really seem to be rather shy, despite their very loud voice!! I'm occasionally aware of one in the garden, but it's always on the ground only occasionally have I seen it on the shed roof. Dunnocks also will feed on the shed roof, but are mostly on the ground under the bushes.

I never say "never" but so far I've not heard of a wren coming to a feeder, they really seem to be rather shy, despite their very loud voice!! I'm occasionally aware of one in the garden, but it's always on the ground only occasionally have I seen it on the shed roof. Dunnocks also will feed on the shed roof, but are mostly on the ground under the bushes.
Ah! That might explain it...

Birds kept hitting one large window in my home because it reflects the sky and trees so I was just wondering if window feeders are safe for birds. I put up parachute cords which did help a lot but the only way I was able to stop birds striking the window completely is to keep the drapes closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back