• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October moths (1 Viewer)

Hey it is getting better - in my solitary post:(
Moved the trap from the front garden to around the back which is a concrete yard with buildings around, why was it better?
Had one of my most wanted - apart from an Old Lady, still not had that one, but
2 Merveille du jour, NFG
4 vestal, NFG
Burnished Brass,
Rosy Rustic,
Antler,
Green Carpet
4 Snout
12 Black Rustic
Ranunculus NFY

Attachments

• Vestal.jpg
    Vestal.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Ranunculus.jpg
    Ranunculus.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Merveille du jour.jpg
    Merveille du jour.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 72
  • Convolvulus hawk moth.jpg
    Convolvulus hawk moth.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 85
I had a Black Rustic last night (thinking my 4th...in 5 years?) amongst several LYU/Lunar Undrwng. Brimstone moth/3 Green Emerald/3 Brindled Green/Willow Beauty and this sp..anybody?

cheers

Attachments

• Oct.sp.jpg
    Oct.sp.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 110
Thats a tricky one there Ken, in difficult lighting. Might be an odd Yellow-line Quaker.

I have had a couple of lifers in the garden in recent days. An Autumnal Rustic, and a Brown-spot Pinion two nights ago. Despite very promising looking conditions last night, only eight species and nothing new.

No photos unfortunately, as computer is broken.

Thats a tricky one there Ken, in difficult lighting. Might be an odd Yellow-line Quaker.

I have had a couple of lifers in the garden in recent days. An Autumnal Rustic, and a Brown-spot Pinion two nights ago. Despite very promising looking conditions last night, only eight species and nothing new.

No photos unfortunately, as computer is broken.

Cheers Sean...I did look at the Quakers...and the double contrasting line near the wing base....but the colour?...perhaps it should be called the ''Variable''yellow-line Quaker? My trapping habitat (trees/shrubs etc.) certainly fit the bill. Come to that...perhaps we could give other problematic moth species the same prefix. ;)

I had a Black Rustic last night (thinking my 4th...in 5 years?) amongst several LYU/Lunar Undrwng. Brimstone moth/3 Green Emerald/3 Brindled Green/Willow Beauty and this sp..anybody?

cheers

Looks like a Common Quaker to me - presumably mistaken the late summer for an early spring?

David

A few garden highlights from the Autumn so far. Hoary Footman was a nice suprise so late on in the season. Barred Sallow, Black Rustic, Blair's Shoulder-knot and Deep-brown Dart were all new autumnal species for the garden.

Attachments

• Hoary Footman.jpg
    Hoary Footman.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Barred Sallow.jpg
    Barred Sallow.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 66
  • Black Rustic.jpg
    Black Rustic.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Blair's Shoulder Knot.jpg
    Blair's Shoulder Knot.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Deep-brown Dart.jpg
    Deep-brown Dart.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 74
Looks like a Common Quaker to me - presumably mistaken the late summer for an early spring?

David

That was my first reaction, but totally discounted it on date. Is the species known to occur in autumn?

EDIT: W+T states that the species does indeed emerge on mild nights in autumn and winter. That'll be it.

Last edited:
I agree with Common Quaker. One of those rare autumn emergences. Hebrew Character sometimes does it as well I think.

Weather has produced probably my best ever October sessions. I also added Brown-spot Pinion to the garden list (on 29th Sep).

Recorded so far (with max count and total over two dates).
White-shouldered House-moth (Endrosis sarcitrella) 1 1
Blastobasis lacticolella 1 1
Carnation Tortrix (Cacoecimorpha pronubana) 1 1
Garden Rose Tortrix (Acleris variegana) 1 1
Rusty Dot Pearl (Udea ferrugalis) 2 2
Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) 1 1
Comma (Polygonium c-album) 1 1
Brimstone Moth (Opisthograptis luteolata) 1 1
Willow Beauty (Peribatodes rhomboidaria) 2 3
Turnip Moth (Agrotis segetum) 2 2
Shuttle-shaped Dart (Agrotis puta) 1 1
Large Yellow Underwing (Noctua pronuba) 3 5
Lesser Yellow Underwing (Noctua comes) 4 6
Square-spot Rustic (Xestia xanthographa) 1 1
Common Wainscot (Mythimna pallens) 1 1
Blair's Shoulder-knot (Lithophane leautieri) 3 6
Green-brindled Crecent (Allophyes oxyacanthae) 1 1
Brindled Green (Dryobotodes eremita) 1 1
The Brick (Agrochola circellaris) 1 2
Red-line Quaker (Agrochola lota) 1 1
Brown-spot Pinion (Agrochola litura) 1 1
Beaded Chestnut (Agrochola lychnidis) 16 23
Lunar Underwing (Omphaloscelis lunosa) 13 24
Barred Sallow (Xanthia aurago) 3 5
The Sallow (Xanthia icteritia) 3 4
Dusky-lemon Sallow (Xanthia gilvago) 2 3
Angle Shades (Phlogophora meticulosa) 1 1
Silver Y (Autographa gamma) 2 2
The Snout (Hypena proboscidalis) 1 2
7-spot Ladybird (Adalia 7-punctata) 2 2
Birch Shieldbug (Elasmostethus interstinctus) 1 1

Also a few very small moths to be determined which could be interesting given the conditions.

October Records - NW Cumbria

Hi,

My October totals so far are:

Green-brindled Crescent 16
Silver-y 7
Merville de Jour 2
Rosy Rustic 4
Large Yellow Underwing 2
Large Wainscot 1
Brown-spot Pinion 1
Setacious Hebrew Character 3
Red-line Quaker 2
Blair's Shoulder-knot 1
Dark Sword Grass 1
Angle Shades 1
Pale Mottled Willow 3
Common Marbled Carpet
Rhomboid Tortrix
Garden Rose Tortrix

Regards
Tristan

That was my first reaction, but totally discounted it on date. Is the species known to occur in autumn?

Been away for a few days so missed this. My latest Common Quaker is 7th November (2007) following a period of unusually warm weather, a bit confusing but not that uncommon, I think.

David

Is anyone still trapping?

Flame Brocades here are doing particularly well - 18 in the trap from last night. Also first Mallow of the year and first Red-line Quaker the previous night. Am still hoping for a few more species for the year: Yellow-line Quaker, White-speck, Oak Rustic, Beaded Chestnut ......... and a few more would be nice.

Nerine

Attachments

• Cypress Carpet 15 Oct.jpg
    Cypress Carpet 15 Oct.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Flame Brocades 15 Oct.jpg
    Flame Brocades 15 Oct.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Grey-pine Carpet 15 Oct.jpg
    Grey-pine Carpet 15 Oct.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Mallow 15 Oct.jpg
    Mallow 15 Oct.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 65
  • red-line quaker 14 Oct.jpg
    red-line quaker 14 Oct.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 57
seen 4 hummingbird hawkmoths on scillys today
Excellent photo, Dave. I had my first Hummingbird hawkmoth for the year in the garden today - on honeysuckle.

32 Flame Brocades in and around the actinic trap this morning. :eek!:

Nerine

Usual records for October except for an outstanding Buff Ermine. A very white and worn example, with photos sent and accepted by the county recorder. Latest Hertfordshire record to date. Really had me guessing.
regards,
Jono

Quiet here as I've been working or away most weekends but I've had some of the autumn regulars such as barred sallow, m du j, red-green carpet, figure of 8 etc.
Ken

Have packed the trap away - however should the wind die down I could be tempted to put the trap out, still waiting for feathered thorn

Had a Humming-bird Hawkmoth fly into my garage today, didn't expect to see one this late in the year especially as it was raining at the time.
It tried to get into one of the garage door struts but couldn't manage it then flew off again, do these over-winter, it's the only thing I can think it might be doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back