• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nottinghamshire Birding (2 Viewers)

Millions of them in the afternoon! Black Tern as well, the 3 Ruff now in breeding plumage and a VERY showy Cetti's being seen regularly from Kingfisher hide being the best of a rather disappointing day.

Sam

3 cuckoo at besthorpe yesterday. a male was singing from around heron island at mons pool all morning, and over near trent lane another male was singing and a female was heard too. also 4 curlew on the flooded field on trent lane.

Attenborough

Had a great day out at Attenborough today.

Loads of warbler spp on show picking up Garden, Black Cap, Sedge, Common White Throat and even managed to see one of the Cetti's Warbler there was one just beyond the Kingfisher hind towards the river and one along the path past the Tower hide to the river. My better got a great view of the Cetti's by the Kingfisher hide.

Other spp seen were Little Ringed Plover, Oystercatcher, Swift, Common Tern, Lapwing, Linnet and Green Finch.

A few shots are on my blog from the our day out.

Tim.

Glad you enjoyed yourself! Further to your sightings there was a male Garganey and Med Gull yesterday too. Really want a shot of a Garden Warbler, so am pretty jealous! :t: The Cettis' by Kingfisher Hide regularly shows well and I have seen it come out into the open on numerous occasions.

Sam

Glad you enjoyed yourself! Further to your sightings there was a male Garganey and Med Gull yesterday too. Really want a shot of a Garden Warbler, so am pretty jealous! :t: The Cettis' by Kingfisher Hide regularly shows well and I have seen it come out into the open on numerous occasions.

Sam

Hi Sam

Saw the report of the male Garganey on the visitor centre notice board, wish I had gone looking now. Will hopefully pop along again soon to try again for a better view of the Cetti's.

Tim.

hello, could anyone tell me the best time and area to see nightjar on budby common?

Thanks Paul.

Start of June onwards, it's best to just get out into the middle of the common around an hour before dusk and follow your ears, although it can be quite dark before they really get going. Roding woodcock before the nightjars are up and 'squeaky gate' LEO chicks in the woods afterwards should be possible too.

The rangers usually do a guided walk in the first week of the month, it's a good way to learn more about one of the best birding sites in the county.

Bairds Sandpipers 27/05/2012

Any news on the 2 Bairds Sandpipers showing well at the Idle Valey NR this morning Gary?
I'm in Linc's at present but will look in later if there still around.

Last edited:
11:41 27/05/12 Baird's Sandpiper Notts Idle Valley NR
two possibles believed to be summer-plumaged Sanderlings
10:34 27/05/12 Baird's Sandpiper Notts Idle Valley NR 10:15
two possibles still mid-morning on Chainbridge Scrape from viewpoint
08:34 27/05/12 Baird's Sandpiper Notts Idle Valley NR 08:24
unconfirmed report of two possibles on Neatholme Scrape

someone got a bit giddy perhaps........................

attenborough

managed a couple of good shots of the bittern at attenborough in feb. is it right there were 3 at one point?

s.g.

Attachments

• DSCN0579 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN0579 (640x457).jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0574 (640x456).jpg
    DSCN0574 (640x456).jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 73
Nice one! :t: Yes there were three at one point. More recently this weeks sightings have included 3 LRP's, 3 Ringed Plovers and 2 Dunlin, otherwise very quiet.

Sam

11:41 27/05/12 Baird's Sandpiper Notts Idle Valley NR
two possibles believed to be summer-plumaged Sanderlings
10:34 27/05/12 Baird's Sandpiper Notts Idle Valley NR 10:15
two possibles still mid-morning on Chainbridge Scrape from viewpoint
08:34 27/05/12 Baird's Sandpiper Notts Idle Valley NR 08:24
unconfirmed report of two possibles on Neatholme Scrape

someone got a bit giddy perhaps........................

Who the 'giddy' person was is still unknown to me?

The two birds on Chainbridge Scrape were described to me as very obvious Sanderlings so not sure why they were even claimed twice to be Baird's Sandpipers.

Gary Hobson (LBC - Secretary & Web Site Administrator)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back