• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon eye candy.... (1 Viewer)

I've had several top of the range Nikon in the past, like the quite impressive HGL or the SE, and they were really amazing binoculars, as was to be expected from the top dog of a company like Nikon. They left very little to be desired, to be honest. However, there is something about the Nikon Porro of other ranges that leaves me in awe every single time I use them. In a word: "perform". They simply perform, like a good old German washing machine, nothing fancy or bling-bling, but a solid and reassuring level of performance.

The 7x35 "Gold Sentinel" needs to be seen to be believed. A combination of features so ******* awesome that is probably prohibited in some US states ;) Wide field + porro + low magnification + generous exit pupil = 7x35 magic.

I'm not a 10x person. In fact, I hardly use the 10x35 (C), I'll probably end up selling them, but every time I use them, like last week, I'm reminded of how good these oldish and conventional looking devices are. The view is so crisp and full of detail.
And last, but no least, the 8x30 EII which I can clearly see why it has some sort of cult status.

Nikon_830EII_735A_1035EC.jpeg

Impossible wishlist for a dream Nikon: 7x35 Nikon SE 2 (even 7x32)
  • Same body, same grip, I wouldn't mind the same eyecups, although contemporary eyecups could be a nice addition.
  • Same weight.
  • Waterproof.
  • A slightly faster focus (well, the focus could do with a little improvement in "real state" for your fingertips).

Last edited:
Impossible wishlist for a dream Nikon: 7x35 Nikon SE 2 (even 7x32)
  • Same body, same grip, I wouldn't mind the same eyecups, although contemporary eyecups could be a nice addition.
  • Same weight.
  • Waterproof.
  • A slightly faster focus (well, the focus could do with a little improvement in "real state" for your fingertips).
I felt the same way, wishing they still made a 7x35 porro - I would suggest to you to try to the 10x35 E2. It's a 35mm porro, just with higher magnification. It's everything the 8x30 gives you with more aperture. Significant improvements over the 10x35 E version.

Nikon 8x30 A, E criterion, E2 and SE.
Nikon 10x42 SE and 10x50 Gold sentinel.
Nikon 8x42 MHG and EDG.

Attachments

• B4969DC4-F402-4A7C-AA66-ABDDDD231AA9.jpeg
    B4969DC4-F402-4A7C-AA66-ABDDDD231AA9.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 84200345-B94C-48E4-9BAE-A35D0213D19C.jpeg
    84200345-B94C-48E4-9BAE-A35D0213D19C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 45
  • F1DAE03A-BFE3-498B-AD99-0B3B11F5BDF8.jpeg
    F1DAE03A-BFE3-498B-AD99-0B3B11F5BDF8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
@Paultricounty Now that is some serious eye candy there if I may say so. I've got a couple of question if you don't mind me asking.

I wonder about the performance of the 10x50 Gold Sentinel. A while ago @dries1 mentioned he was going to have one unit serviced, but I can't remember if I read the outcome. A 10x50 Nikon is surely something to look out for. How's the view?

And, a last but most important question. Of all the above Nikon in your pictures what's your favourite? If you could only have one, which one would that be? :)

I felt the same way, wishing they still made a 7x35 porro - I would suggest to you to try to the 10x35 E2. It's a 35mm porro, just with higher magnification. It's everything the 8x30 gives you with more aperture. Significant improvements over the 10x35 E version.
Yes, I've been intrigued for quite a long time by the 10x35 E2, that's why I bought its predecessor, the 10x35 (C). Comparing my 8x30 E2 to the 10x35 I can only imagine how amazing the 10x35 E2 must be. However, I tend to lean towards 7x as for higher magnification I simply prefer the reach of an IS 12x. Anyway, a 7º 10x with the stereopsis of a Porro and the immersive E2 view must surely be amazing, the 10x35 (C) already is quite a feat.

@Paultricounty Now that is some serious eye candy there if I may say so. I've got a couple of question if you don't mind me asking.

I wonder about the performance of the 10x50 Gold Sentinel. A while ago @dries1 mentioned he was going to have one unit serviced, but I can't remember if I read the outcome. A 10x50 Nikon is surely something to look out for. How's the view?

And, a last but most important question. Of all the above Nikon in your pictures what's your favourite? If you could only have one, which one would that be? :)
Thanks Yarrellii,

The Gold Sentinel is very nice glass, I’d put this at about the same level optically as an E2, but in a 50😆. It has a very bright, sharp image and leans a bit to the warm side, common for most Nikons. The focuser is where things get interesting, it only has about a half a revolution from close to far focus. It is the fastest focuser I have ever used on a binocular, it makes a Conquest seem slow by comparison. This makes for a very edgy feel , focus depth is razor thin, between being a 10x and having the smallest amount of focus wheel travel makes it something you really have to get used to. There’s no room for focus error. I think these are much more suited for observing distant stationary objects.

If I had to pick one of the porros I’d pick the 8x32 SE , and for the roof I’d choose the 8x42 EDG. If I had to choose just one, I’d choose the EDG. It’s Just a better all around Binocular that would cover more bases.

Paul

Didn't Henry (I think) mention the Gold Sentinels were only partly multi-coated? Aren't some key bits made out of plastic too?

I'd still like to try one though. Not too many 10x50 porros even got to being partly multi-coated.

@Patudo Yes, there are several threads regarding the GS where he explains into detail its pros and cons, telling how there was some cost-saving involved in the mechanics/materials of the body, but that the optics bit was actually pretty good. My experience with the 7x35 GS has left me beyond pleased. Yes, it has its downsides (yellow/greenish tint, very shallow eye relief, less than ideal focus), but the view is just so immersive, it's a joy to look through.

Yes, I've been intrigued for quite a long time by the 10x35 E2, that's why I bought its predecessor, the 10x35 (C). Comparing my 8x30 E2 to the 10x35 I can only imagine how amazing the 10x35 E2 must be. However, I tend to lean towards 7x as for higher magnification I simply prefer the reach of an IS 12x. Anyway, a 7º 10x with the stereopsis of a Porro and the immersive E2 view must surely be amazing, the 10x35 (C) already is quite a feat.
The thing about the 10x35 E2 I like most is the ease of eye placement. I had given up on smaller exit-pupil binos because I hate struggling with eye placement. But somehow the 10x35 is very tolerant of eye movements and placement, much more than the 10x35E or 12x40E. The eyepieces are actually EDG-like in comfort.

The FOV is wider and better corrected to the edges than the E1, which helps make up for 10x, along with the short & stubby porro body being easy to keep steady. And the coatings are brightness are notably improved from the E-C, I suspect the 10x35 E2 has some of the highest transmission available, since the 2017 upgrade. At $600 to my door from Japan I consider them an unbelievable value. It's like you're paying another $1000- $2000 just to get waterproofing in a premium roof vs. this bino.

OK that concludes my sales pitch for the 10x35 E2 :D:D

@Patudo Wow :love: Is that a 7 or 10 WX? If you can spare some minutes to explain how's the view like I'm sure many would be really pleased. I'm really curious about those. Since I guess both should be tripod mounted (or at least have some support) I think I'm curious about the differences between both, and I just can't make my mind up whether I'd go for a 9º 10x or a 10,7º... both sound outrageously good.

Hola amigo! That was the 10x50. It's very, very impressive optically, but so large and bulky that it's awkward to use hand-held. It's really too much of a handful for the birding I do. Whenever I use it handheld I can't help but be impressed by its performance, but normally go back gratefully to my 10x42 SE that is so much more effortless to handle.

On a tripod it's amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back