• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Photographed (3 Viewers)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240412_111558_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_111558_Chrome~2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I absolutely despise that nomenclature. 🤬

2397. Arabian Babbler - UAE

View attachment 1572509

I didn't make the rules... :)

As I tried to say many many hundreds back, as we are playing by IOC, if you say had an IOC spreadsheet with IOC names (and a rule that people at least used the IOC name as part of their post), simples... No hidden duplicates.

I am using it to learn a bit about IOC taxonomy. (Indeed, for those still tackling the shared spreadsheet, that simply needed to be the IOC spreadsheet and a column to add the number when played.)

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
Another babbler that expanded its range and became available...

2398. Iraq Babbler Turkey

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 0811 Iraq Babbler.jpg
    0811 Iraq Babbler.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 2
I didn't make the rules... :)

As I tried to say many hundreds back, as we are playing by IOC, if you say had an IOC spreadsheet with IOC names (and a rule that people at least used the IOC name as part of their post), simples... No hidden duplicates.

I am using it to learn a bit about IOC taxonomy. (Indeed, for those still tackling the shared spreadsheet, that simply needed to be the IOC spreadsheet and a column to add the number when played.)

All the best

Paul
I'm not questioning the rules of the game here. I just hate the fact that American redstarts (small R) are being coopted as whitestarts by a carpetbagging organization. Just the name whitestart makes me cringe. Moving on...

Not the best shot, but it took 4 hours to find the damn things:

2399. Afghan Babbler - Kuwait

IMG_7581 crop.jpeg

Simply explaining how life could have been made easier... Another Argya babbler:-

2400. Fulvous Babbler Morocco

I recognise that fence at Jahra Pools I suspect.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Fulvous Babbler.jpg
    Fulvous Babbler.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nope. It's at a farm in the Abdali / Budai area near the Iraqi border. We never made it to Jahra Pools because we spent so much time looking for the babbler. :p

I have been to Kuwait twice. Late autumn in 2011 & spring in 2017. My Western Palearctic list on the back-burner a bit really but interesting place. 👍

All the best

Paul

My wife, a plant taxonomist, thinks it's silly that we birders (at least the Americans and British) use common names at all. She admires Latin American birders, who are fine with the scientific names. But it's still just a game, after all. Anyway, I like calling the Whitestarts.

My wife, a plant taxonomist, thinks it's silly that we birders (at least the Americans and British) use common names at all. She admires Latin American birders, who are fine with the scientific names. But it's still just a game, after all. Anyway, I like calling the Whitestarts.
Given that plant taxonomy gave us Sorbus admonitor, whose official common name is No Parking Whitebeam, a certain degree of reluctance to use English names is understandable.

I have been to Kuwait twice. Late autumn in 2011 & spring in 2017. My Western Palearctic list on the back-burner a bit really but interesting place. 👍

All the best

Paul
I liked Kuwait, too. It was a quick add-on after part of my Ethiopia tour got cancelled. I only had the one day of birding, so I focused on two key targets: The babbler and Hypocolius. I don't keep a WP list per se, so it was about getting some specials for my world list.

2402. Horsfield's Babbler - Bali

Horsfields Babbler comp.jpeg

2403. Grey-hooded Babbler (IOC), Gray-hooded Babbler (Clements)
Uncle Tan's Jungle Camp, Kinabatangan River, Malaysian Borneo
Cyanoderma bicolor

Attachments

• Babbler IMG_8073.JPG
    Babbler IMG_8073.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back