• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mourning Wheatear site in Morocco (1 Viewer)

johnraven

I've left this far too late, as we go to Morocco tomorrow, but does anyone know a specific location (as in km on roadside) for Mourning Wheatear in southern Morocco?

I'm sure I can find out about one at Boulmades, but it would be helpful to know beforehand if possible.

There are ravines adjacent to the road 55-57 km east of Ouarzazate that are a favoured spot for this bird - I checked in December, didn't see it, but others did at a similar time. A Belgium couple also saw a male just east of the Tagdilt Track area when on the main road leaving.

However the bird I saw was a male just a little further west from the ravines, almost adjacent to the 55km post itself (ie 55 km east of Ouarzazate).

Obviously this whole stretch is well worth keeping the eyes peeled. Good luck.

Just to get you in the mood, here he is ;)

Attachments

• Mourning Wheatear 1.jpg
    Mourning Wheatear 1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I'd second the roadside just East of the Tagdilit track (saw one there). Also saw one on the old track between Erfoud and Merzouga, about 6km from Erfoud. This is also a good site for African Desert Warbler.

Anywhere east of Quarzazate was good for them in the past... and i think they are also seen before Quarzazate as well

as with a lot of Morocco, there's a lot of suitable habitat so roadside stops and a wander often pays dividends

There was one reported at K421 to Agadir ie about 70 k west of Boumalne last week but we checked two days later and found just(!) a Desert Wheatear and then 4 Thick-billed Larks, which was nice as we had missed out on the Tagdilt track.
Soukra is supposed to be in the middle of the most likely area.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back