• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manitoba, Carman, fort Whyte Center 28 May - 5 May 2011 (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Manitoba - Carman, 28 April 2011 – 5 May 2011

There seems to be less birds migrating through our area this year. I’m wondering if the flooding south of us is causing the birds to change their migration path this year.
We also had a snow storm over the weekend, didn’t get a lot of snow accumulation but the wind was very strong.
I’ve been to the trail 3 times in the last week and there are not nearly as many birds as I expected for this time of year. There are not nearly as many waterfowl at Fort Whyte this year either. On two of my walks I saw very few birds on the trail.
While at Fort Whyte we exited one of the buildings to find a Canada Goose in a confrontation with a Ground Hog. The Goose was hissing and had its wings ready to strike. Our presence scared the Ground Hog and it ran off.
As we walked the trails we encountered 3 different Geese that hissed at us.
We also witnessed 2 pairs of Geese fighting for possession of one of the ponds. Lots of honking and action. I’ve posted 3 pictures of this encounter in the gallery.
On the 4th a 3 foot tree limb crashed onto the trail about 20 feet ahead of me.
Saw a Grackle doing its mating display earlier this week, they certainly do look strange.
I also saw what I think is a Song sparrow but its markings and color are different than other song Sparrows I have seen. Posted a picture of it below.
While at Fort Whyte a Belted Kingfisher suddenly appeared and I got off a few quick shots, the camera was set for taking pictures in the bush and not something against a bright sky, the pictures didn't turn out to bad posted the best one below. The bird was about 100 feet away and moving quickly.

Carman

Northern Flicker
Song Sparrow
House Sparrow
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Dark Eyed Junco
Hoary Redpoll
Common Grackle
Merlin
Robin
Chickadee
House Finch
Purple Finch
Blue Jay
Chipping Sparrow
Crow
White Breasted Nuthatch
Killdeer
White Throated Sparrow
Swainson’s Thrush
American Goldfinch
Yellow Rumped Warbler
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Black & White Warbler
White Crowned Sparrow
Lincoln’s Sparrow

Fort Whyte 2 May 2011

Canada Geese
Mallard
Double Crested Cormorant
California Gull
Swainson’s Thrush
American Coot
Hooded Merganser
Forster’s Tern
Canvasback
Red-breasted Merganser
Horned Grebe
Belted Kingfisher
Common Goldeneye
Dark Eyed Junco
House Sparrow
Chickadee

Attachments

• black and white warbler resizeIMG_4207.jpg
    black and white warbler resizeIMG_4207.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 54
  • lincoln's sparrow resize IMG_4344.jpg
    lincoln's sparrow resize IMG_4344.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 51
  • song sparrow resize IMG_4273.jpg
    song sparrow resize IMG_4273.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Belted KF resize IMG_4115.jpg
    Belted KF resize IMG_4115.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 48
  • blue jay resize IMG_3862.jpg
    blue jay resize IMG_3862.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 41
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back