• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (2 Viewers)

Thanks Hugh.
I bought the Busby book from Roy (Robinson?) at Cley Marsh.
I used to look through the glorious pages, dreaming of living on this amazing Island.
I never dreamt it would actually happen one day but I’m happy to say it did.
Yes, there have been many changes, many for the better, some not.
It’s a book that brings Mallorca to life and somehow captures the essence of the Island.
Thanks for the reminder, I will read mine tonight.
Mike

Slightly away from the present but I got a present on Friday as a belated Christmas gift from my younger son- a copy of the art book "Birds in Mallorca" by John Busby from 1988 (second-hand but still in excellent condition). He has a very distinctive style which brings the birds to life, but I also like his more normal landscapes as backgrounds to the birds. He also puts in some prose about where and when he visited from 1981 onwards and what the weather was like. Altogether a brilliant book but I was also interested in where he got to and places that have changed or become more recent hotspots. I have never even attempted to get to the Ternelles Valley, and I suspect that Casas Velles is a shadow of it's former self. He says that when he visited Albufera in 1985 it had only just become a reserve and there were only 2 hides- which two, I wonder? Albufereta was known but unprotected, and the matter of access to the Boquer Valley was even then a matter for speculation as to how long it would last. Of course there is no mention at all of Son Real, but he did get to the Arta mountains.
As regards birds he still uses Herring Gull for YLGull, Marmora's Warbler for Balearic, and Cory's Shearwater rather than Scopoli's. Back then there was only one Griffon Vulture, and a number of other recent colonists (or just recently discovered?) are absent. The only error I have picked up so far is that he says that Cory's (Scopoli's) and Balearic Shearwaters are the same size but distinguishable by flight action. The latter is of course true, but they are certainly not the same size!
The Bibliography is littered with the early books on Mallorca in English by the Bannermans, Eddie Watkinson and Pat Bishop, and the famous meetings at the Pollentia Hotel were in full swing. If you haven't got a copy then look out for one as it is a wonderful aide-memoire of the Island and it's birds. Has anyone else got views on this book?
I'd been looking for a copy of this book for years. I also like his distinctive style (I also like Ennion's style) and I finally managed to find one. It was one of the reasons for first visiting the island (as was an article in a birding magazine entitled 'Firecrests for breakfast'). In the early days I did manage to visit the Ternelles valley (and Casas Veyas as I knew it) but then the first was closed by the 'owners' and the ensuing court cases, etc., and the latter has changed completely with (I believe) grape vines. There was also a problem on the way there as the road was fenced off for a European leaders conference at the Formentor hotel (off-roaders and illicit fires were also given as reasons for it being fenced). The Boquer valley has also changed dramatically. When I first visited the track was one person wide. After it was used by tours companies for huge walking groups the erosion is substantial. I'm also lucky enough to have most of the birding books dealing with the island. There's no question that a lot of things have changed and it's true to say that a lot are for the better (e.g. s'Albufereta, etc.). Thanks for the reminder, I'll get it out and have a read again.

There was an article in The Times recently about the Formentor Hotel and it stated that it was being "modernised" by demolition! It also implied some rather questionable actions by the local authorities involved. I thought that it was protected due to it's architectural merit. We used to go on the boat from PP and whilst the rest of the family lazed on the beach I had a sweaty walk to and from Cases Velles along the road.

After a long day in the field yesterday the plan was to take it easy last night. Instead, after a combination of San Antoni festival bonfires, a barbecue, several beers and a few glasses of Palo spirits we rounded off the night with a couple of hours of live music at Rosa Blanca in Port de Pollenca. This morning was therefore a leisurely affair with a trip to La Gola and then an hour at the woods at Cala San Vicenc. It was very windy and impossible to hear anything among the trees. A kingfisher, 2 firecrests and a single crossbill were the only rewards. It was time to retreat to the square in PP for a couple of pints and to watch the annual tree climbing event , a remarkable experience and something that would definitely not be allowed in UK in these H&S times. A chance to see culture, history and tradition being celebrated. It’s good to be back!!

An amazing video was posted today on one of the local WhatsApp groups of a Black stork seen in a side road in Alcudia.
After a short time, the bird took to the wing and went up and away.
As there have been some terrific storms recently, there is little doubt that it put down for shelter which happened to be in the middle of a town.
What a surprise for the finder and quite a shock I would have thought.
Mike

Another great day out with Mike Montier today. We met at the cafe at the sports ground at Maria de la Salut early this morning. It was 6° but the wind chill made it much colder. We had cafe con leche and watched the locals tucking in to Pa Amb Oli, drinking a variety of spirits and speaking in mallorquin. A great way to start the day. We spent a couple of hours on the central plains watching red and black kite, booted eagle, dozens of corn bunting, thekla lark and meadow pipit. We then had a thrush fly through close to the ground, between us we picked up red flanks and arm pits and a heavily marked face. Between us we concluded Redwing!
We then moved on to Villafranca in search of the southern grey shrike. After 20 minutes searching the fig trees Mike found it in his scope. He shared the view with me and then the bird disappeared. We spent another 40 minutes looking for it but despite our best efforts couldn’t relocate it. We rounded the day off with red legged partridge and a raven, both new 2023 birds for me . It was now very cold, as Mike said even for a Geordie, and time to head north again for a pint. Tomorrow Arta and the Llevant area. Currently on 94 species for the year and my target of 100 for the Big Year in Mallorca is in sight. Thanks Mike.

Nice one Davey..Austen and I headed to the Hide at Son Real. On the way we saw 30 StoneCurlews at the edge of the S’Albufera.
We found Kevin in Son Real Hide searching the goodies…unfortunately the birds failed to turn up. It was the worse occasion I remember but we had plenty of good humour to cheer us up.
The processionary moths were there…take care!!
We headed to Depuradora to look for the Garganey but again no luck..so we decided to go to Maristany, but again very quiet for birds. Then the news came concering Black Stork at Port Alcudia, just a few minutes down the road. We headed there but no luck of course.
We decided to head back via S’Albuferata to see if we could find the Pintails..At last a Success…4 of the birds.
Despite the failures, we had good fun, no rain, and some 40 Species including Flamingos, Pintails, Shoverlers, Hoopoe, Sardinian Warblers, Crag Martins, Common and Red Crested Pochards, Gadwall, Stone Curlews, Chiffchaff, Song Thrush, Red legged Partridge, Red Kite, Great White and Little Egrets, etc.
Thanks Kevin.

Attachments

• 79AFF755-EAB6-4B57-8E94-0470803ED4F5.jpeg
    79AFF755-EAB6-4B57-8E94-0470803ED4F5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Almost a year ago to the day Kevin and I met at Arta and went on to Cala Rajada to go sea watching for an hour. We then drove up to parc Llevant . It was a successful day with shearwaters, Siskin and a ring ouzel among the many birds we saw. We retraced our steps this morning in a very cold wind with spells of rain and even hail stones. Starting at Cala Rajada lighthouse the sea was deserted with not a single bird on the water. A fly through peregrine was the only bird of note. Next stop was a very quiet Canyamel beach with only a kingfisher to record. We drove through Arta and up to Parc Llevant for a couple of hours in the hope that our luck might have changed. Now at a higher altitude it was even colder. We did see 2-3 firecrests together and at least 6 crossbills. There was no sign of Siskin or ring ouzel but a pair of courting peregrines and a beautiful light morph booted eagle brightened the afternoon. It was time to retreat to a bar in Arta for a couple of cana before I made my way back to Port de Pollenca. Enroute I stopped off at Albufereta where they were 4 pintail feeding among the many flamingo, shoveller and cattle egret. With the light fading I called it a day and headed to my local Rosa Blanca bar in PP. Not the greatest of days in terms of birds seen, but a really enjoyable one in good company doing something I really enjoy. Tomorrow Albercutx!!

It was one of those days. With a friend we decided to risk the storms and head for Soller and Port Soller. A great journey up to this beautiful town, very few cars and bikes. The rain held back but birding was very slow.
A few Red Kites, Cattle Egrets,Ravens, Red Legged Partridges,Yellow Legged Gulls, Black Redstarts and Sardinian Warblers.
We decided to visit the White Plains in the afternoon, Maria de la Salute. The sun came out and the Sky Larks and Linnets were singing. A Meadow Pipit and Hoopoe showed well, but again the number of birds seen was very poor.
As Davey said, although the birding was not that great, it was a very enjoyable occasion to be out there.

A walk in Bunyola today produced no new birds for the year but there was a good passage of Red kite and Booted eagle.
No hoped for vultures, it was a cloudy and windy day which probably accounts for that.

I’ve just seen news that a Red phalarope was seen and photographed just off Ibiza yesterday.
The species has occurred before I seem to remember, I think a British birders photographed one a couple of years back, but it’s still a mega.
I just hope it flies past my seawatching point.
Mike

I began the day with a drive up to the mirador and the tower at Albercutx. It was extremely windy, potentially dangerous and a challenge just to stand up. I had gone hoping to see blue rock thrush, alpine accentor and perhaps Balearic warbler. Birding was out of the question and after 20 minutes I left for more sheltered safety. I arrived at the Boquer Valley and noticed the car park is still fenced off, work had being carried out to almost double the size of it and to level it off. I’m not sure what the plans are here and whether this might be some preliminary works before more residential development is carried out. It was interesting to see that the rough track up to the the first gate and beyond to the finca terrace has been scraped clear, rolled and compacted and made in to a decent road. A sign of further works to the finca itself being imminent? The valley itself was windy and there were dozens of black redstarts to be seen. I found a cirl bunting below the terrace and had 4 separate sightings of female blue rock thrush. I didn’t stop to look for Balearic warbler at the far end as by now the wind was picking up even more. My next stop was at the burn mouth at Albufereta where the stream meets the sea. A feeding little egret, greenshank, 2 audouins gulls and a fishing sandwich tern were all that was seen. The only other bird of note today was seen briefly in the Boquer Valley. A stocky passerine perched in a tree. Heavily marked around the face and with a light breast with strong streaks. Having seen a group of 200+ rock sparrows in Alicante recently I was immediately drawn to that as a possible ID. I just wish I had seen it for longer and better still managed a photograph. With hindsight it probably best summed up what was a largely frustrating day in difficult conditions. There’s always tomorrow!!

Attachments

• D9B8E36B-F734-4CD6-850C-4BA5F8FB33E4.jpeg
    D9B8E36B-F734-4CD6-850C-4BA5F8FB33E4.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
My friend Steve and I started at the “Orange Bridge” at the side of S’Albufera. Weather was cold and windy, and most of the birds were hunkered down.
30 Stonecurlews, Flamingos, Wigeon and Avocets were noted and a possible bar tailed Godwit seen.
We headed for the main Reserve. At the first Sa Roca hide, Few Species seen however suddenly a Marsh Harrier was seen attacking a Hen Harrier..A few photos taken( sorry for the bad pictures).
We checked out the other hides to see if the Spoonbill was still around, however there was no sign. Number of birds were still low.
We bumped into Geordie Dave and Phil A in the next hide and the humour continued. They wandered off to the far hide, while we left for Maristany and S’ Albuferata.
We were lucky to see the Pintail there.
The wind had stopped, and the sun was out.
We saw or heard some 60 species today..Mallorca delivers..
Great island for birds and friends.

Attachments

• 5EF8284B-81F7-4757-95DC-7E453EF43FBE.jpeg
    5EF8284B-81F7-4757-95DC-7E453EF43FBE.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 14
  • CBD41681-CA24-4CEF-A360-776952343B5E.jpeg
    CBD41681-CA24-4CEF-A360-776952343B5E.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 6BC2AAB2-9806-4CC9-A969-A8E361DF0356.jpeg
    6BC2AAB2-9806-4CC9-A969-A8E361DF0356.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 436FBD1F-0725-4AF2-BF84-DD6B80E40FF5.jpeg
    436FBD1F-0725-4AF2-BF84-DD6B80E40FF5.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 8
  • CAF02FAB-AD4D-4B1F-9978-DEEC82803429.jpeg
    CAF02FAB-AD4D-4B1F-9978-DEEC82803429.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 0D35124D-78C1-4EDA-9565-99D360EC76E8.jpeg
    0D35124D-78C1-4EDA-9565-99D360EC76E8.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 14
  • B3514EED-9B35-492C-A2D5-893C5D5454CF.jpeg
    B3514EED-9B35-492C-A2D5-893C5D5454CF.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 14
  • D55D1F0E-DC01-4059-92E8-94FA840D7FC4.jpeg
    D55D1F0E-DC01-4059-92E8-94FA840D7FC4.jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 14
I began the day early this morning in a cold 6° while Mike Swiss was still in his bed and long before his first of many coffees of the day. I met Phil A at Cami des Pols. We went looking for waxbills and while we thought we had 2 on the path in their usual place we couldn’t be sure. After a quick stop at the sluice gate we moved on to the dog house and S’Amarador platform where 4 glossy ibis where resting. We saw 30+ red crested pochard and a beautiful fan tailed warbler, sadly the mute swan was not showing. On to Albufera where we did finally catch up with Mike. The main reserve is fairly quiet at the moment with an absence of small waders. We did however have great views of a moustached warbler and Mike had picked up a male hen harrier but it was otherwise quiet. Phil and I walked up to Es Columbars hide near the power station where we watched a collection of ringed and little ringed plover, a single spotted redshank, several black winged stilt and common snipe but very little else. It was now time to head home to watch Newcastle United on the tv before heading out for dinner. Another canny day out in the company of good friends.

Unlike sleepy-head, I was up at 06.30 and soon on my way to passage 5, on the approach road to Cap de Ses Salines.
It was a raw 2 degrees with frost on the ground, quite unusual for this site.
There is no doubt, getting there before first light is the premium time. 4 Red kite left their roost and a Booted eagle took to the air. Then a female Merlín dashed across the sky-line, a lovely little falcon with those rapid wing-beats and a rather deep-chested appearance. They are often around passage 5.
Then to my surprise and delight, derban appeared!
He announced that his thermometer read zero. That’s a first for me.
We stood the cold for not very long before we decided to move down to the watchpoint at the lighthouse.
As I pulled the car up, a Woodcock flew up and into the low bushes. I have seen very few at the Cap so an evening visit is in order to try and see them roding. There were also two Hoopoes there.
At the lighthouse, 5 or 6 thrushes were on the bushes but they departed before we could clinch an identification. Shame, because in hard weather, I have seen both Redwing and Fieldfare here.
By way of compensation, a Mistle thrush sat up obligingly on a bush, just long enough to enjoy it.
Derban soon locked on to some passing Balearic shearwaters and a few more followed on. There were lots of Shag on the water but no hoped-for Gannet.
The sun came out briefly and began to thaw us out, but not long enough for us to want to stay.
I made for home whilst derban went to the Es Trenc road, with some success I hope.
I also hope he has some photos to add, I couldn’t keep my camera steady, I was shaking so much.
Mike

It was indeed perishing at the cape but it was positively balmy compared to the Es Trenc road - the wind had got up so I had to wedge myself between the car door and the roof to have a chance of a steady shot of the grey plover. But retreat to a warm house and some breakfast was the wisest option by far. But had I been on my own all the time, I am sure I would have been off home much sooner. Just including a shot of the sky as it presented itself to me on turning into the road to the cape and a robin that kept us company at the cape - we had to be careful not to tread on it!

mallorca220123-1.jpg mallorca220123-23.jpgmallorca220123-11.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back