• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (1 Viewer)

Since we are talking about bird Reports - GOB infomation

Enjoy

Just a quick message on here to say how glad I am to have escaped the northern gloom once again and to be back at the saltpans – Here are just a few snapshots from yesterday morning, where among other things I spotted an osprey (regular feature there now, it seems), marsh harriers, plenty of flamingoes, one or two waders, a curlew, two little grebes and a pair of grey plovers. What puzzles me a bit is that there are hardly ever any ducks there, except mallard and shelduck of course. Has anyone got an idea why this should be the case?

Mallorca050123-47-DNG_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg Mallorca050123-15-DNG_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg Mallorca050123-3-DNG_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

Guests gone. Up and out the door at dawn.
I dipped on all three of my target birds.
It was a very cold 6 degrees at the wetlands near Felantix and I had seriously underdressed for the occasion. It was so lovely yesterday so I thought today would be the same.
A Jackdaw had been reported which often associates with Cattle egrets. I watched the egret flock coming in but devoid of company. I thought I heard it twice but the din from the passing traffic made life difficult. The cars included a convoy of convertible Ford Mustangs, all with three Kings on board. They hooted and waved excitedly. It was a weird sight but nothing surprises me in Mallorca anymore.
A lovely Jack snipe flew up from right under my feet. A super little bird and quite hard to see in Mallorca.
A flock of Golden plover came in and there were some Lapwing in attendance.
After a long and fruitless search for the elusive corvid, I moved to Vilafranca for the southern grey shrike.
Nope. At least Corn bunting went onto the still skinny year-list.
Next stop, Sa Barrala. The Calandra larks were recently seen in with the flocks of skylark but they were nowhere to be found.
I had a hunch they may be up the road in a ploughed field and I got that right.
No Calandra lark but a gorgeous first winter Red-throated pipit was really close. What a lovely bird.
Final stop, the road to Es Trenc where I ticked off many of the usual species for this site, Shelduck, Black-winged stilt, Ringed plover, Avocet, Flamingo, Little stint and Greenshank.
Cold, tired and very hungry, I returned home to warm up and eat all the left-overs.
I’m meeting derban on Sunday morning and I’m expecting great things. I have also arranged a day out with visiting British birders on the 16th by which time I hope to have broken 100 species.
We will see.
Mike

Pep and Carlos saw the Jackdaw at dusk this evening.
I must have just missed it this morning as I saw the egrets leaving their favoured tree roost.
Funny how both Jackdaws that have been seen here, mixed with Cattle egrets. The Cala d’Or bird did just the same thing. Photo of the Cala d’Or bird.
Mike

Attachments

• 5A96618E-7233-4901-8BF3-E07A5035A47A.jpeg
    5A96618E-7233-4901-8BF3-E07A5035A47A.jpeg
    881 KB · Views: 23
I couldn’t sleep for thinking about that flaming Jackdaw.
I don’t know why, I’ve seen one before, but somehow it really got to me. I just missed it yesterday so when I saw a photo of the Jackdaw seen at the roost, taken by Pep last night, I was rather miffed.
So, tossing and turning at 6am, my wife suggested I go, probably so she could get some peace.
I was on site in the dark, with local cars slowing down, wondering what on earth I was up to.
But there is something very special about being on site before first light. There was a big moon and many birds were on the move, but the hunters were out early too, with guns blasting away all around. I don’t know what they shoot.
Just as well I got there so early. As soon as I turned the corner, the Jackdaw flew overhead and into the reserve where I wouldn’t be able to see it later on.
It was mighty cold but at least I had wrapped up this time.
It’s rather nice when things work out but there are times when I question my sanity. Birds have been such a wondrous thing in my life but they have caused me a lot of grief as well.
Happily, not today.
Mike

Attachments

• 0E70CB3F-EC0E-4282-8AE2-5C166040B3D5.jpeg
    0E70CB3F-EC0E-4282-8AE2-5C166040B3D5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
I have been reading up about Jack snipe.
I can’t find any January records but I feel sure some birds over-winter in Mallorca.
Firstly, they are very scarce here, and secondly, they are very secretive.
I remember watching a programme about them. A birder walked the marsh but couldn’t find any. When a night vision camera was used, they were everywhere!
Right little skulkers they are.
The one yesterday, flew up from under my feet, typical behavior. It was very small with a much shorter bill than Common snipe, so I know it was one.
There are many suitable sites in Mallorca for this species so I’m sure there are many more than are recorded.
The birds seen at Prat de Sant Jordi last year were unusually confiding, feeding out in the open for some reason, as the photos show.
Mike

Attachments

• 47AD54E9-1C48-44DA-A258-7A1E08E5F938.jpeg
    47AD54E9-1C48-44DA-A258-7A1E08E5F938.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • CDA59FD8-1F25-4869-9C7E-3DCFAC2BB570.jpeg
    CDA59FD8-1F25-4869-9C7E-3DCFAC2BB570.jpeg
    873.5 KB · Views: 19
  • D1A36FA0-ECC4-4B10-8271-F6B57AFD10A9.jpeg
    D1A36FA0-ECC4-4B10-8271-F6B57AFD10A9.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 17
Results for the Bigyear Spain have been circulated, a copy is attached with due respect to the publisher.
The winner by quite some margin, was our very own Pep Manchado.
Having listened to many of his very entertaining adventures, I can tell you that he certainly deserves it.
So well done Pep. I look forward to hearing some more about your travels to the peninsula and beyond.
Mike

Attachments

• F0332A71-58DB-4D9E-BA7E-AFF78A4BF5EF.jpeg
    F0332A71-58DB-4D9E-BA7E-AFF78A4BF5EF.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 26
Results for the Bigyear Spain have been circulated, a copy is attached with due respect to the publisher.
The winner by quite some margin, was our very own Pep Manchado.
Having listened to many of his very entertaining adventures, I can tell you that he certainly deserves it.
So well done Pep. I look forward to hearing some more about your travels to the peninsula and beyond.
Mike
Thank you Mike
Living in Majorca it hasnt been easy at all, with several trips to the rest of Spain to see species not present in Majorca.
But for me, birding isn't an efford but a pleasure and if I have not travelled more is for money reasons.
I share the last bird added to my list, one bird almost impossible to see in the island.
Thanks for your support.
JosepES102 GorrionAlpino.jpg

What a great result Pep! Well done. A difficult act to follow, but I would still like to post briefly about my morning's birding with Mike. We were at the Salobrar, hoping for the early morning magic of the sunshine warming up the marshes, instead we had to put up with a strengthening wind and squally showers. I was far colder today with the temperature around 16° that I was recently when it was 2°. We were both keen to rack up a few year ticks though, so we persevered. We were certainly rewarded with the sight of flocks of golden plover, glittering in the stray rays of sun falling between the clouds, also picking out lapwings and shelduck as they flew past – too fast or too far away for a photo though. On the Es Trenc road, we were then able to catch up with some regulars that were still missing on my year's list, including common and green sandpiper, little stint, avocet, Kentish and ringed plover. So I was able to return home and warm up feeling pleased with myself, having enjoyed my trip out, collected some ticks and as an extra (or was it the main purpose?), having had a great chat with Mike and set the world to rights again.

Mallorca080123-98-DNG_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg Mallorca080123-106-DNG_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg Mallorca080123-121.jpg

It was very cold derban!
I have been caught out a couple of times recently so I wore extra layers today.
I got a few year ticks so thanks for that.
I look forward to meeting up again soon. It was all good fun as usual and neither of us fell over which is quite an achievement these days. We both had a near-miss though!
Great definition on that Greenshank, considering the light conditions and distance.
Lots of greater flamingoes were present all around the reserve so I guess the total number must be approaching 200. I counted 77 from the Es Trenc road and there were many on the other side too. The smaller waders seem to be at es Trenc, probably because there is too much water elsewhere.
Mike.

Attachments

• 878FED56-57D2-452B-92DD-3889DBC8EE8A.jpeg
    878FED56-57D2-452B-92DD-3889DBC8EE8A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 56B02CFF-2D32-499C-94D5-BB16AF54685A.jpeg
    56B02CFF-2D32-499C-94D5-BB16AF54685A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • D6496222-1072-49EF-A630-B12A05091504.jpeg
    D6496222-1072-49EF-A630-B12A05091504.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 79EFEC54-B229-4A69-8AE4-60488A65101A.jpeg
    79EFEC54-B229-4A69-8AE4-60488A65101A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Golden plovers seem to be arriving in large numbers throughout the Island today.
Derban and I saw a glorious group twinkling in the early morning sun as he mentioned, and I saw a small arrival at Son Navata two days ago.
Numbers will build up over the coming weeks and I’m forever hopeful that there will be a rare one in with them.
Mike

Three target birds kept me awake so a pre-dawn raid was guaranteed.
At passage 5, Cap de Ses Salines, I heard, then saw, a Rock sparrow.
The trees were alive with passerines, Robin, Meadow pipit, Blackcap, Great tit, Corn bunting, House sparrow and the biggest surprise of all, a Woodchat shrike!
A Raven cronked overhead and lots of Starlings were around.
At the Cap, the police were out in force, not sure why, but they are often looking for incoming migrants. Humans sadly, not birds!
I soon saw Northern gannet and 5 Balearic shearwaters.
I had to leave but I came home with a bag full of year ticks.
A lovely blue sky and little wind. A cold start but it was 15 degrees when I left, a happy boy.
Mike

Attachments

• 02C060FD-7C45-445C-AE7A-0ADD7C033679.jpeg
    02C060FD-7C45-445C-AE7A-0ADD7C033679.jpeg
    420.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 5BCE7E6A-49A8-482A-8F51-11895316B658.jpeg
    5BCE7E6A-49A8-482A-8F51-11895316B658.jpeg
    561 KB · Views: 23
  • AF22C5E9-6F17-46CD-853A-6A87D90A4F97.jpeg
    AF22C5E9-6F17-46CD-853A-6A87D90A4F97.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 23
I’ve just seen a superb Common buzzard flying low over s’Alqueria Blanca.
I stopped the car, got out, and watched it against a perfect blue sky.
I know they are now very common in the UK but here, they are quite difficult to catch up with.
About a dozen pairs breed in Mallorca with a few more pairs probably reproducing.
During lockdown, two pairs bred in my local park and I heard them very close most days.
In the UK, I drove from London to Devon to see my first one ever. My, how times have changed.
I’m still buzzing from this morning’s Woodchat. A most unusual date.
Mike

A bit late to the party Happy New Year everyone, hope you all have a fantastic year ahead. Congrats to last years Big Year winner 2022. Time will tell if I'll be visiting again this year so we'll see. I have been spending loads of time editing my video footage from last year so it feels like I haven't left. :) Hope to finish up soon and will put a link to it here for you all to enjoy. have a great year ahead all.

I’ve just seen a superb Common buzzard flying low over s’Alqueria Blanca.
I stopped the car, got out, and watched it against a perfect blue sky.
I know they are now very common in the UK but here, they are quite difficult to catch up with.
About a dozen pairs breed in Mallorca with a few more pairs probably reproducing.
During lockdown, two pairs bred in my local park and I heard them very close most days.
In the UK, I drove from London to Devon to see my first one ever. My, how times have changed.
I’m still buzzing from this morning’s Woodchat. A most unusual date.
Mike
Well done on the Woodchat Mike, are there any previous records for the end Dec/early Jan weeks? Perhaps another result of the ongoing changes to our weather….
Your UK Buzzard memories brought me to thinking of my first Red Kite (another species now very common there), on a family holiday to wet Wales in the late sixties, times (and my haircut:() have indeed changed!

I don’t know of any other records of Woodchat being seen in either December or January Richard.
Judging by the comments I’ve received from locals, it’s a very unusual record indeed.
I had a very late one a few years back, 23rd November I seem to remember.
I haven’t heard of any overwintering either so I think this is a one-off.
I don’t think it’s possible to determine whether it’s a badius or senator, not for me anyway.
Mike

Attachments

• 5926A99B-6AEB-407E-A13D-6BF7358F9EC1.jpeg
    5926A99B-6AEB-407E-A13D-6BF7358F9EC1.jpeg
    728.7 KB · Views: 8
And I well remember my first Red kite too, Wales somewhere, maybe Tregaron bog or something like that. I will look it up.
The trouble with going through my old notebooks is that one thing leads to another, and before I know it, I’ve spent the whole evening engrossed in my memories.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back