• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for binocular with large depth of field (1 Viewer)

gweller

I’m looking for a new binocular for my wife, who due to her disability, is having increasing difficulty holding and focusing a normal binocular. The problem of holding the binocular is fairly easily solved by the use of a monopod/finstick, but her difficulty in turning the focusing knob while holding her bins up to her eyes is proving trickier to solve.

She uses the binoculars mostly for viewing over fields or lakes, and not so much in woodland, so my first inclination was to try a pair of Steiner Safari UltraSharp 8x30 CF, with their Sports-Auto-Focus system, but as far as I can see these don’t have a tripod. I also know that Bushnell make a Permafocus 7x35 which has a tripod fitting, but I suspect that it’s optical quality leaves something to be desired!

What I’m looking for is a pair of lightweight binoculars with a large hyperfocal distance or very large depth of field, so as to minimize the amount of refocusing required in use, and with a tripod mounting option so they can be fixed on a monopod.

Has anyone any suggestions re a suitable binocular or ideas how we can address her problems?

Thanks!
Gary

gweller,

Since depth of field is directly related to magnification it would stand to reason that the lower magnification you go then the larger the depth of field will be. Since you brought up lightweight as an additional desirable feature the first bin to pop into my mind is the Opticron Savanna 6x30 (or similar model). They do have a huge depth of field and weigh around 17 ounces. Optical quality is exceptionally good for the price...which is right around $99.

http://opticscamp.com/opticron-savanna-binoculars/1125-opticron-savanna-wp-6x30-binoculars.html

Edit:

Scratch that. I just realized they don't have a conventional tripod mount. However, they could be used with one of the alternative tripod mounting systems.

If you really want the Steiner Ultrasharp, you might consider getting one and strapping it down to what I refer to as the "platform" type of bincular holder that is designed to mount to a tripod or monopod.

BTW - the Steiner Ultrasharp isn't all that sharp......

gweller,

Since depth of field is directly related to magnification it would stand to reason that the lower magnification you go then the larger the depth of field will be. Since you brought up lightweight as an additional desirable feature the first bin to pop into my mind is the Opticron Savanna 6x30 (or similar model). They do have a huge depth of field and weigh around 17 ounces. Optical quality is exceptionally good for the price...which is right around $99.

http://opticscamp.com/opticron-savanna-binoculars/1125-opticron-savanna-wp-6x30-binoculars.html

Edit:

Scratch that. I just realized they don't have a conventional tripod mount. However, they could be used with one of the alternative tripod mounting systems.

Hi FrankD

Thanks for that tip. The Savanna looks very similar to the Kowa YF 6x30 but it's debatable if you can mount a tripod attachment to it. It may be possible by removing the cover plate at the front of the center hinge, but I'm not sure. The same goes for the Vortex Raptor 6.5x32 I think. Maybe I'll buy one of them and try it out.

Will let you know how I get on!

Thanks
Gary

If you really want the Steiner Ultrasharp, you might consider getting one and strapping it down to what I refer to as the "platform" type of bincular holder that is designed to mount to a tripod or monopod.

BTW - the Steiner Ultrasharp isn't all that sharp......

Yes, I've made a sort of plate/platform attachment a monopod for her current bins, but it's not a very elegant solution. A proper tripod mount would be better of course.

I first thought of the Maven B2 7x45, but realized it is likely too heavy for the described need.

Another lightweight option is the Maven B3 in 6x30. This is light and it has a fairly wide field and the apparent depth of the 6x makes a pretty compelling small binocular. In addition the 8x30 B3 might be considered, but its depth won't seem a seep as its 6x sibling.

While Zen Ray seems to have slipped somewhat in customer satisfaction, it makes the ZEN ED 2 in 7x36, which I still have after some years and still use it frequently.

Another small 7x option is the Opticron BGA Classic in 7x36. I had an equivalent Swift Eaglet for a number of years and liked it a lot. The field is not the widest, but it is light and like the ZEN and Mavens, it has a standard threaded tripod adapter.

After having a couple of the Steiner , I would not recommend you go there.

Hi,

or the Vixen 6.5x32 WP ED astro bins... seem rather new and no reviews anywhere but 9 deg true field, 20mm ER, 600g and a tripod mount... no center focus though but this seems irrelevant here and 6m min focus... that might be a problem.

Btw. Pete from Opticron is looking for a UK based reviewer a few threads down... so if Somewhere is somewhere in the UK, take a look and write a nice review.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=331656

Joachim

Hi Gary

I'm not sure where you are based but if it's UK then the RSPB HD 6.5x32 might fit the bill. Good optics with great depth of field and a tripod screw under the hinge plate.

Not currently listed in stock on the rspb optics online shop but in stock at Minsmere, Suffolk at least.

Hi Gary

I'm not sure where you are based but if it's UK then the RSPB HD 6.5x32 might fit the bill. Good optics with great depth of field and a tripod screw under the hinge plate.

Not currently listed in stock on the rspb optics online shop but in stock at Minsmere, Suffolk at least.

Hi Gary,

The suggested 6.5x32 will give excellent depth of field, I have a Minox 6.5x32, it's a good configuration, mine is Individual eye Focus, so once each EP is set at about 50yds depth of field is superb, like a military glass, it is fine for anything from around 25yds to infinity . The trouble with that Minox is it's quite heavy, I tend to think IF may possibly be better as long as close focus is not needed, it cuts out having to fiddle with the focus at all, just set and leave, but I can't think of a quality light weight IF to recommend, the Vixen Optics 6.5x32 WP ED mentioned by Joachim is an IF, but there do not seem to be any opinions on it, so the RSPB model sounds good. Your right, Permafocus will not give a great image, just an ok one, and i'm not a big fan of Steiner myself, seems if you get a problem with them, thats the end of the binocular, I have heard people call them throw aways as they often cant be fixed.
Ben

Last edited:
Yes, I've made a sort of plate/platform attachment a monopod for her current bins, but it's not a very elegant solution. A proper tripod mount would be better of course.

I was not referring to a "home-made" setup. The commercially-available ones work very well, and would solve your problem very well. These would allow you to use any binocular, whether or not it has a tripod mount socket.

Hi FrankD

Thanks for that tip. The Savanna looks very similar to the Kowa YF 6x30 but it's debatable if you can mount a tripod attachment to it. It may be possible by removing the cover plate at the front of the center hinge, but I'm not sure. The same goes for the Vortex Raptor 6.5x32 I think. Maybe I'll buy one of them and try it out.

Will let you know how I get on!

Thanks
Gary

Hello gweller. If you're considering the Vortex Raptor, I can confirm that it has a tripod socket. It's focuser is also a bit less stiff than a typical yosemite. If you're looking for something a bit nicer, the Vortex Viper HD 6x32 is available for about $399.... http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet....HD-viper-hd&catalog[product_guids][0]=1116819

Hello gweller. If you're considering the Vortex Raptor, I can confirm that it has a tripod socket. It's focuser is also a bit less stiff than a typical yosemite. If you're looking for something a bit nicer, the Vortex Viper HD 6x32 is available for about $399.... http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet....HD-viper-hd&catalog[product_guids][0]=1116819

Hi peatmoss

Where is the tripod socket on the Vortex Raptor? I can't immediately see one - is it under the end cap if the center hinge?? Can you take that cap off or unscrew it somehow??

Thanks and best regards
Gary

Hi peatmoss

Where is the tripod socket on the Vortex Raptor? I can't immediately see one - is it under the end cap if the center hinge?? Can you take that cap off or unscrew it somehow??

Thanks and best regards
Gary

Hello Gary.

I bought the Raptor years ago for a young relative, but I checked it out before giving it to him. It was then that I noticed the tripod socket, which is not a feature of my yosemites. So I just went to the Vortex website to look at the picture, and it now looks like the Raptor has been re-designed from the one that I purchased years ago. The tripod socket is gone! From the website: The all-new 6.5x32 Raptor binocular delivers a bright, crisp image with excellent color fidelity—even in low light conditions.

I'm sorry to get your hopes up on that one. Out of curiosity, I looked up a few of the other yosemite clones out there, and the only model that retains a tripod socket seems to be the Pentax, but they don't carry a 6x30 version, only 8x30 and 10x30. A couple of other low-power bins in that general price range that have a tripod socket include the Pentax Papillio 6.5x21 and the Nikon Aculon 7x35. Sorry again for the confusion and good luck with your search!

Hello Gary.

I bought the Raptor years ago for a young relative, but I checked it out before giving it to him. It was then that I noticed the tripod socket, which is not a feature of my yosemites. So I just went to the Vortex website to look at the picture, and it now looks like the Raptor has been re-designed from the one that I purchased years ago. The tripod socket is gone! From the website: The all-new 6.5x32 Raptor binocular delivers a bright, crisp image with excellent color fidelity—even in low light conditions.

I'm sorry to get your hopes up on that one. Out of curiosity, I looked up a few of the other yosemite clones out there, and the only model that retains a tripod socket seems to be the Pentax, but they don't carry a 6x30 version, only 8x30 and 10x30. A couple of other low-power bins in that general price range that have a tripod socket include the Pentax Papillio 6.5x21 and the Nikon Aculon 7x35. Sorry again for the confusion and good luck with your search!

Ok, that would explain it! I think we are going to try out the Vortex Viper HD 6x32, and failing that maybe try mounting the Raptor or the Kowa on a plate that screws onto the monopod.

Thanks for all your input everyone!
Will post again to let you know what we decide upon.

Regards
Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back