• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

looking for a new telescope (1 Viewer)

saviornitho

Jérémy Savioz
Hello !

I want to buy a new telescope for not more than 2000 dollars US (~ 1300 euros). What would you suggest me ? Are there any makes as good as Swarovski or Leica for this price ? What about Zeiss ?

Thank you !

Hello welcome to Birdforum. You do not say if you wear glasses, zoom eyepieces in some brands of spotting scopes have short eye relief. For the money you can hardly go wrong with Nikon 50ED,60ED and 82ED but the zoom eyepieces have short eye relief as you zoom up in power. You could buy Nikon 50ED and Nikon 82ED probably for the price you quote and have a very portable excellent small scope and a bigger scope with magnification up to 75x if it is usable with the right conditions. Having said that there is nothing wrong with going with Swarovski, Leica etc. You should try before you buy if you can. BTW there is a lot of information on this site for you to look up to get closer to what you might want.

Forgot to say that I don't work for Nikon or have any connection to any dealer and must say I am a Nikon fan and well Swarovski as well.

Regards,Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back