• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ageing of optics (1 Viewer)

Ljuslykta

Sweden
Hi. I'm relatively new to birding but have decided to pick up a used spotting scope. I've been on the lookout and found a Swarovski ATS 80 with a 25-50x for 1300 euro (new price here in Sweden is 3000 euro). This particular scope is from 2008 and is in good condition. When buying a scope that is around 15 years old, is there anything in the optics that degrade over time or similar so I should go with a newer scope?

I know that I'll be using it much, that's why I'm buying a more higher end scope as my first.

There are occasional reports across many manufacturers of fungus insider older optical equipment that may not have been stored under low humidity conditions. This fungus buildup typically is not covered under manufacture warranty. While uncommon, but not rare, to encounter internal fungus, perhaps you can view, or have viewed, the optics directly to satisfy yourself about its condition prior to purchase.

Is the scope an ATS80 or an ATS80 HD with low dispersion glass in the objective? There is quite a difference and HD versions will have HD lettering on the helical focusser.
Today all ATS/STS scopes are HD but in 2008 and on the ATM/STM scopes around 2011 there were a total of eight versions, angled and straight, 65 mm and
80 mm and HD and non-HD.
There have almost certainly been improvements in anti-reflection coatings since 2008 but that is of minor concern and would only be apparent in a direct comparison, if at all.
If you have the opportunity you should test the scope at 50x in still air. Well lit newsprint should be clearly legible at about 40 m.

John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back