• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jones Beach (1 Viewer)

I camped at Jones Beach last night. The birding was pretty good. Forster's and Common Terns and Black Skimmers were thick over the bay, the skimmers staying until well after dark. Black-crowned Night Herons were everywhere, squawking and stalking around the pilings. Ospreys were common as well. In the morning, the migrants were out in force. Palm Warblers and Savannah Sparrows were the most numerous. There were a few Purple Finches, a handful of Red-breasted Nuthatches, Song Sparrows, and Ruby-crowned Kinglets. A Brown Thrasher put in an appearance, and someone claimed to have seen a Lincoln's Sparrow. Mockingbirds and Starlings were omnipresent and always. Ruddy Turnstones, Willets, Dunlin, and Black-bellied Plovers were the predominant shorebirds. A Peregrine and some Harriers were seen. However, the star of the show was a female Merlin who repeatedly made passes at all the birds, seemingly targeting the flickers above all others. She perched several times, and flew low over my head three times, affording excellent views.

wow i didn't know there was camping on jones beach?
Yeah Merlins are fun to watch, i saw one yesterday i was at fire island at the sunken forest, i to saw a female make several passes at migrating songbirds they are quick birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back