• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isan Thailand - Swallows ...which? (1 Viewer)

Bertus

Netherlands
I am not familiar with types of Swallows or Martins. But I would say Striated Swallow for the 1st and 2nd pic (different place, different day). But the ones on pic 3 and pic 4 could that be barnswallows or red-rumped s.? Tnx for advice..

Attachments

• DSC00041 copy.JPG
    DSC00041 copy.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC08740 copy.JPG
    DSC08740 copy.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC01592 (2).JPG
    DSC01592 (2).JPG
    517.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00043 copy.JPG
    DSC00043 copy.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 30
Tnx Bewick, Barn Swallows, plenty in all Isan, all Thailand. But 8740 was found in Khon Kaen province and eBird has no obs in that area of Striated at all. That is why I wonder. Still possible, I think these maps of Robson are quite old in the meantime, is that correct? On the other hand, Grahame came to a Red-rumped for a similar looking Swallow in this thread Thailand, Isaan, Khon Buri today - red rumped or striated swallow and poss Sib stonechat? before. Although 8740 has more and more strong stripes than the bird on that pic I think. Anyway red-rumped and striated come very close I noticed. With regards...

Tnx Bewick, Barn Swallows, plenty in all Isan, all Thailand. But 8740 was found in Khon Kaen province and eBird has no obs in that area of Striated at all. That is why I wonder. Still possible, I think these maps of Robson are quite old in the meantime, is that correct? On the other hand, Grahame came to a Red-rumped for a similar looking Swallow in this thread Thailand, Isaan, Khon Buri today - red rumped or striated swallow and poss Sib stonechat? before. Although 8740 has more and more strong stripes than the bird on that pic I think. Anyway red-rumped and striated come very close I noticed. With regards...
Sorry I mix the two sources, Robson could be too old, no obs in Isan at all. eBird comes with some obs at about 30 km from my location. So not very unlikely, based on eBird, that gets updated continuously right?

Sorry I mix the two sources, Robson could be too old, no obs in Isan at all. eBird comes with some obs at about 30 km from my location. So not very unlikely, based on eBird, that gets updated continuously right?
Done some research and I have changed my opinion slightly. Streaking does appear quite fine in comparison with other images of striated swallow. Probably more likely a red-rumped swallow, though I wouldn’t conclusively state whether it’s a RRS or SS. Mainly because the boldness of the streaking seems variable, I have found images of boldly streaked red-rumps and less boldly streaked striated’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back