• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brabant Netherlands - Now finally a Willow Warbler...? (1 Viewer)

Bertus

Netherlands
Protected area with several smaller lakes. And several birdspotting people, who had found Bluethroat, Reed Bunting and european Goldfinch just before I came. Instead I found Little Grebe, and probably Reed Bunting and here Willow Warbler. To rule out Chiffchaff I played some internet soundclips on my phone and indeed the singing of this bird was quite different, and exactly as in the sound-examples of Willow Warbler. Reddish lower mandible, light yellow on the breast, tail bit longer? In the first two pics there is a strange colour on the chin, not visible on pics 3 and 4. So then they can be two different birds of the same species? No, actually I am convinced that all of these pics are of one bird in one tree. I heard Chiffchaff too around but could not find. Tnx for advice again ...

Attachments

• DSC00069 copy.JPG
    DSC00069 copy.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00081 copy.JPG
    DSC00081 copy.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00088 copy.JPG
    DSC00088 copy.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00095 copy.JPG
    DSC00095 copy.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 28
Long primaries (pic 3). Willow warbler.
The songs of chiffchaff and willow warbler are completely different.
Now I found even some better pics of today. Same specs, same place, maybe even the same bird. But there were many of them ... No reason to change the ID right, still a Willow Warbler..?

Attachments

• DSC00132 copy.JPG
    DSC00132 copy.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00143 copy.JPG
    DSC00143 copy.JPG
    313.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00151 copy.JPG
    DSC00151 copy.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back