• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Insoles help foot pain? (1 Viewer)

mightydave

Hello, when I go bird watching I have been having pain in the arches of my feet and it is getting to the point where it is taking the fun out of everything.. was just wondering what I should and can do to help stop it? I have heard from a couple of my friends that insoles are a good idea to wear? is this true? thought id ask people who are in the same boat as me :).

Been looking online what I can do..which to be honest wasn't really much help at all as most advise contradicts itself... just tons of people out there trying to sell you "magical" custom insoles costing more than a computer or television.

Any other tips to help stop my foot pain?

ta :)

I have suffered for many years and collected 2 shoe boxes full of various inserts. See a podiatrist or get a referral via your GP for casts for prescription inserts. In extremis cortisone injections can help. I have prescription inserts and had two injections over the years which gave some relief but no guarantees the problem will not return.

Another vote podiatrist, if you are anywhere near Leeds I can thoroughly recommend one for you. I was limping when I visited him in February and he made 2 orthotics for me. Last Sunday I did a 10 mile walk with no more than aching calves, no limping at all.

Same advice from me, about ten years ago I was training for a marathon kept developing Achilles' tendonitis. Went to see a podiatrist.

Turned out me feet were a mess paid around two hundred pounds for visits and inserts, it sorted out my tendonitis and my back problems of 20 years duration. Gave up running four years ago but still wear inserts and never have problems with my back. Can't wear them for distance walking (leave me with blisters) but wearing them day to day keeps problems at bay

That depends on your GP really, as to whether or not there's enough money in their budget to cover it.

Like chiropody, it's not generally considered essential treatment (unless you have diabetes).

That's my understanding anyway. So visit your GP and see what the reaction is.

thanks for your replies guys.. just need to find a podiatrist are they free in England under the nhs?

I went private due to the long wait for an NHS appointment, it cost me £150 all told for a couple of appointments and the orthotics, money extremely well spent in my view.

Another vote for a podiatrist BUT, I also run and have some insoles that were custom moulded in the running shop for about £40 and they seem to be at least as good as the ones from the podiatrist. However id still go see one of them first!

When I had bad problems with my achilles tendon, I just went to GP and was seeing a physio - for free - within a few weeks. I had in my head that as it was a 'sports injury' - probably caused by running - I'd have to pay. That turned out to be nonsense.

I suffered from plantar fasciitis recently and wouldn't want to wish that pain on anyone. Tried all the exercises advised to do, throw out no end of pairs of shoes as each one still gave me grieve. Then when we were at the Caravan show last October, I tried on pair of Sole Mates and haven't looked back.

http://sole-mates.eu

Di

I will mention again, what shoes are you wearing?

I have a pair of Merrills that are agonizing the next day after a couple of hours of walking. They would be fine for a lightweight person, but for me on rocks they oil can something fierce.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back