• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Insect for ID, Hants (UK), 09.09.23 (1 Viewer)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
This was on my study windowsill yesterday but I'm unsure if it's lepidoptera or one of the diptera species that looks like a moth.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Attachments

• R10M_002236-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    R10M_002236-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 44
  • R10M_002237-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    R10M_002237-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 45
This was on my study windowsill yesterday but I'm unsure if it's lepidoptera or one of the diptera species that looks like a moth.

Any pointers gratefully received.
Hi Paul, I know you have a low opinion of my ID skills, so please ignore this if you want, but this is clearly Diptera-Nematocera and I would suggest Ceratopogonidae, but without details of wing venation and mouthparts etc cant go further.

Struggling to think of any replies I've given in this forum which would imply I thought you have poor ID skills - but I'll check through when I get back to UK.
Always grateful for suggestions and I'll do some research when I've got a WiFi connection.
I did get a reply from a fb group - but forgot to update this thread. I've attached the replies I got there.facebook reply.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back