• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Icelandic or Eurasian Redwing? (1 Viewer)

This is my first siting of a Redwing and I'm not sure which it is, Eurasian or Icelandic. I'm in Northern Ireland so I'm presuming Eurasian but just checking. Thanks IMG_2116.jpeg

Note that...
Many Icelandic birds winter in Ireland, and... The major European field guide doesn't attempt to distinguish between those two subspecies.
So, in summary, there's a fair chance that your bird is Icelandic, but your best option (in my opinion) is just to consider it to be 'a redwing' (as I've done with every redwing I've ever seen).
It's very easy, and rarely productive, to get hung up on the idea of identifying birds' subspecies. There are some cases where a) it's possible and b) it tells you something useful/interesting - but, for the great majority of the time... don't bother.

This might be of interest Deborah?
coburni are said to be bigger (marginally) and darker, also with heavily streaked
under-tail coverts, quite unlike iliacus.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 47
Hello Deborah and all,

thanks for this interesting thread!

And although I agree with Butty´s cautious approach about ssp ID , I am very interested in this and therefore:
From a central european point of view, where Icelandic Redwings are very scarce at best, there where some papers/notes published about (confident) ID of some=the most distinctive/extreme (=not all!) Icelandic birds:

For your bird: as I have yet to see my first confident Icelandic Redwing I can only rely on literature. But I agree with you and all: the whitish supercilium and the lack of markings on the undertail-coverts are bad for an Icelandic Redwing, that can be identified with confidence =(does this mean, it doesnt originate from Iceland? Not necessarily (?)=I think this is what Butty meant???)

And with this approach I have identified these two birds as nominate birds of the ssp iliacus , despite denser, heavier and bolder streaking in one or a more intense-buff supercilium in the other Redwing:
(both Wyk auf Föhr, Germany, 22.02.2010)

Hello Deborah and all,

And although I agree with Butty´s cautious approach about ssp ID , I am very interested in this and therefore:
From a central european point of view, where Icelandic Redwings are very scarce at best, there where some papers/notes published about (confident) ID of some=the most distinctive/extreme (=not all!) Icelandic birds:

For your bird: as I have yet to see my first confident Icelandic Redwing I can only rely on literature. But I agree with you and all: the whitish supercilium and the lack of markings on the undertail-coverts are bad for an Icelandic Redwing, that can be identified with confidence =(does this mean, it doesnt originate from Iceland? Not necessarily (?)=I think this is what Butty meant???)

And with this approach I have identified these two birds as nominate birds of the ssp iliacus , despite denser, heavier and bolder streaking in one or a more intense-buff supercilium in the other Redwing:
(both Wyk auf Föhr, Germany, 22.02.2010
Hello Deborah and all,

(both Wyk auf Föhr, Germany, 22.02.2010)
Thank you for taking the time to reply and for all your effort Alexander and others. I really appreciate being able to ask questions as I'm keen to learn. Unfortunately I'll have to get the papers interpreted but I have some good German friends who can help ☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back