• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you carry all your gear? (1 Viewer)

midlandsbirder

How do you carry all your gear? How do you carry all your gear?
What is the best way to carry; scope, tripod, camera, coat, waterproof trousers, guide book, bins, food , flask, I have tried quite a few methods, but it seems there isnt any perfect way? at the moment I am using a berghaus 35 litr = 8 rucksack which holds everything untill I arrive at the site, I then put the bins around my neck, and carry the scope (on tripod) over shoulder using the stay-on case strap, untill I have to use the scope, I then extend the legs and after use, and walking on, carry extended tripod and scope over shoulder, (I need some padding, pipe padding is too hard) any ideas?

Last edited:
Personally I carry my camera kit in a Lowepro bag, very comfortable to carry even for a long days birding. There is also room in there for other essentials such as food and field guide. Bins stay round my neck and tripod (with scope attached) over my shoulder. I tend not to worry about carrying waterproofs, if I think I'll need them I wear them from the start. Generally my notebook will be in a pocket so it's easily accessible.

A word of warning about carrying your scope and tripod by the strap on your stay on case - this can put undue strain on the tripod mount on your scope, I have seen cases where the foot has broken because of this. It can be an expensive repair job (possibly £100+).

Agree with postcardcv, don't use the stay on case strap to carry both scope and tripod. I did and almost lost the scope when the stitching failed due to the combined weight. :C Not having a proper mount for a strap on my tripod I tried several straps before settling on one of the bungee material tripod straps, the sort that have loops at each end to go around all of the legs. I fixed each loop around the top of seperate legs, shortened the strap as much as possible and now have a convenient method of carrying scope and tripod together. The only time I now use the case strap is if I am on a reserve where the hide clamp will be more useful than the tripod, in which case the weight of scope and hide clamp is okay.
I have an ex forces gas mask case which makes a good day sack, there's a loop inside which keeps my flask steady and ample room for butties and a field guide. Bins are round my neck always, even when travelling to and from site. The soft case for them has had its strap cut off so I can put the case on without taking them from my neck for travelling and i can shove it into a pocket when birding.
Again like Postcardcv, if I think I will need waterproofs then I wear them from the start. I always wear a multi pocket waistcoat, not padded as this will usually be too warm, this gives ample room for mobile phone, notebook, pens, car keys etc. :t:

I to try to keep it simple...have a good b/fast,only take fluids if it's a long trek,notebook in a jkt or trouser pkt,scope on a shortened bungee tripod strap (c/fibre tripod & swaro 65).Don't bother with w/proofs unless it's going to be wet all day,wear quick drying trousers/fleece.(Buffalo pertex shirts keep you warm when wet).Used to hillwalk with a sac full of unecessary gear...got to the stage i walked like a 'tourist' with only a survival sac and a bottle of juice,enough gear there to survive until rescue.(Talking Britain here btw).

Tripod and scope hanging on strap

Attachments

• TripodOnStramp.jpg
    TripodOnStramp.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 411
I use an rspb tripod strap attached much as per your photo.I've put the loop end over scope,removed the other loop and replaced with a plastic clip(from o/door shop) which i clip to the split ring at base of the head mount.This makes everything fit snugly on my shoulder w/out swinging about.

I also go for the Loew Pro camera bag with scope/tripod over my shoulder. Also a "bum" bag for quick access to notepad and digital camera. Plus, I tend to wear trousers and shirts with lots of pockets for all the odd bits and ends.

The strap I use is also the RSPB one, I have the running loop at each end slipped over a seperate tripod leg, taken it right to the top of the leg and tightened, the adjusters take out the length. I don't have the scope in the action position, I have it parallel to the legs of tripod for carrying with the strap on my shoulder.

Strap length

Keith Dickinson said:
The strap I use is also the RSPB one, I have the running loop at each end slipped over a seperate tripod leg, taken it right to the top of the leg and tightened, the adjusters take out the length. I don't have the scope in the action position, I have it parallel to the legs of tripod for carrying with the strap on my shoulder.

Keith, would you mind measuring the strap you have please? I am hoping it is longer than the optech one I have, I could then send off for one thanks
John.

how carry

Hi,

for daily tours ( mostly with bike ) I use 25 L bagpack and and 12 L frontbag for bicycles.
I use only microfaser and fleececloses ( only brands, no cheap products ).
So I can reduce my clothes, because the dry quick if the get wet and the are useable in a wide temperature range.
For trousers e.g. jogging trouser I use ( alternative crosscountry trouser ).
This is very small and the weight is almost nothing. If it is coulder I use polartec 100 and more colder polartec 200.
For rain I use goretex trouser and jacket. If the is no heavy rain, fleece is anought.
For very cold areas I combine the different trousers ( e.g. for expeditions ).
For looking out a the view tower in this time I use down west ( I bould a reduced one from Yeti design - Made in Germany ).
I use only bino 8 x 30 and a camcorder.

On vacation I used 75 L bagpack and the 25 L bagpack.
I use analog camera and camcorder. Mostly I hire a car and sleep in a tent ( also cooker wit me ).

Best regards
Dieter

scope, tripod,
- i carry them in the backpack and tied to the backpack. i only use them from a sedentary position, when i decide to spend 30 minutes or more in one place. i don't lug a tripod and scope in a forest, just on seacoast and wetlands or lakes, and in places like this i can usually get close with the car.

camera,
- i don't carry a camera. i am not trying to fool myself into thinking that i am a photographer.

coat, waterproof trousers,
-on me or in the backpack.

guide book,
-in backpack or in pocket, but i rarely need it, so i often don't take it with me - i just take a short note if i need to, and ID the bird at home - most birds don't wait for you to look at them, and in the book, and at them again.

bins,
- around my neck, of course.

food
-i only take food with me if i am to spend more than 8 hours in the field.

-flask
I don't have a flask, they are heavy. I Have plastic bottles with water, which are kept in the fridge over night, and are wrapped in moist wool. A 2.5 liter almost frozen bottle lasts me at least 12 hours, but on short trips i either don't take water, or take a 0.5 liter (cold and wrapped in moist wool).

TRAVEL LIGHT, GET FAR.

lowepro camera gear (street and field system) is excellent and flexible. can carry a rucksac at same time in which my waterproofs, flask etc live. tripod on rucksac, scope in sac on walk-in or over shoulder with tripod for short distances round a reserve. small binoculars in case on rucksac belt (along with the camera stuff)

midlandsbirder said:
How do you carry all your gear? How do you carry all your gear?
What is the best way to carry; scope, tripod, camera, coat, waterproof trousers, guide book, bins, food , flask, I have tried quite a few methods, but it seems there isnt any perfect way? at the moment I am using a berghaus 35 litr = 8 rucksack which holds everything untill I arrive at the site, I then put the bins around my neck, and carry the scope (on tripod) over shoulder using the stay-on case strap, untill I have to use the scope, I then extend the legs and after use, and walking on, carry extended tripod and scope over shoulder, (I need some padding, pipe padding is too hard) any ideas?

You need either a Sherpa or a wheel-barrow. 3:)

Life's too short

I used to carry a ton of stuff, too: bins, scope, tripod, camcorder, still camera, field guide, etc. But I found it was all getting between me and my objective: seeing and watching birds.

So now I normally carry only:
1. Binoculars (around my neck)
2. Camcorder with digital still (on a strap around my neck but with the camera itself tucked into a top pocket of my waterproof jacket)
3. Cigs, lighter and maybe a Mars Bar in another pocket.

The camcorder has a 20X zoom (for both video and stills), and I find this eliminates the need for a field guide and a notebook, and most of the need for a scope.

I rarely use a scope any more but I keep one, with a tripod, in the trunk/boot of my car for occasional use. I have a pocket Sibley guide in there also.

BTW, I always carry a spare pair of bins in the car, because we often seem to meet people who want to see what we're looking at but don't have their own bins!

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back