• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how can i deter a sparrow hawk? (1 Viewer)

lurcher98

hi there, i have budgies in an aviary . i have a sparrow hawk that hangs around winding them up and sitting on the roof. then tonight i go out and find bits of budgie outside the aviary and the remains (the head bascially) on the ledge inside the aviary.:eek!: im guessing this was the work of the sparrow hawk as i cannot see what else could have done it. ive chased this bird off many many times but it just comes straight back. what can i do to deter it that will not scare the budgies also ?
im hoping this is the right place to post this

Hi there

No offense intended but this is probably not the best forum to be asking how to get rid of a Sparrowhawk as there are many who would love to have one in their garden. Also, we don't entertain discussions on captive birds here. Maybe a google search for captive budgies?

im sorry as the main subject was the sparrow hawk i didnt think the budgie bit was a problem, i dont have a problem with the sparrow hawk in general , but when it starts eating my pets i do

hi there, i have budgies in an aviary . i have a sparrow hawk that hangs around winding them up and sitting on the roof. then tonight i go out and find bits of budgie outside the aviary and the remains (the head bascially) on the ledge inside the aviary.:eek!: im guessing this was the work of the sparrow hawk as i cannot see what else could have done it. ive chased this bird off many many times but it just comes straight back. what can i do to deter it that will not scare the budgies also ?
im hoping this is the right place to post this

Hi Lurcher,

I think this is the correct place to put your problem as other boards might end up advising some pretty awful ways of solving the problem.

Truth is you're always going to be prone to times when Sparrowhawks are around. I wonder if something like doubling the mesh would help stop it getting anywhere near your budgies.

If you've built you aviary so that the wire is on the inside (of the wood) to stop the budgies getting near the wood then how about placing more mesh on the outside thus creating some distance (at least 2") between the budgies and the talons of the Sparrowhawk. You can do the same with the top of the aviary, so that although you won't stop the Spawk from pitching on it, you will gradually deter his visits as it'll soon know it can't get to them.

Just in case your wire is on the outside of the wood then reverse the suggestions above. I hope it all works out for you and you're not upset by any more budgie deaths. Thanks for coming to the boards where we all care enough about all Birds to advise you in the proper way.

Any more help needed then do please ask, either here or by PM.

Best wishes,

Sue.

Hi there

No offense intended but this is probably not the best forum to be asking how to get rid of a Sparrowhawk as there are many who would love to have one in their garden. Also, we don't entertain discussions on captive birds here. Maybe a google search for captive budgies?

To be fare, Lurcher98 did ask "How can i deter a sparrow hawk"? Not how to get rid of one. (Sounds terminal to me)
I had a similar situation about 8 years ago and the Sparrowhawk was not to blame for the remains of a few Cockatiels in the period of about a week. but a furry cute little WEASEL:C. They can squeeze through very small gaps/holes, Where as the Hawk would a have a problem reaching the birds in an enclosed aviary if they are in a flap (panic) as i imagine they would be.

Paul

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77802802@N00/sets/

Last edited:
thankyou for your kind replies .it was a youngster who had been resting at the side of the nest boxes after leaving the nest box(about halfway up the aviary next to the wire). it was the one spot that was the worse possible place to be! the top half of the aviary is enclosed with corrugated plastic . this time of year however the youngsters are emerging and tend to cling to the bottom half (typical) im going to try the extra layer of wire on the inside as im concerned if i completely cover with plastic the wind will take the avairy over. im pretty sure its the sparrowhawk due to the height of the carcass (head was really all that was left) and the blood on the external wood.

I can quite see what you mean about the youngsters lurcher, a natural thing to do for any aviary Bird. Fear will make them do that even more too. Good thinking about the perspex, the wind would soon put paid to that I'm sure.

Good luck,

Sue.

Maybe it wasn't the Sparrow Hawk that did it ....... If the Budgies are in the aviary behind wire mesh, then how did Mr or Mrs Hawk get one out and then put the remains back in?

Might be a four legged critter that's the culprit and in that case the Sparrow Hawk could become your Allie!

the reasoning behind thinking it was the sparrow hawk was the fact that the ledge is halfway up a 6ft avairy, there were lumps of ripped off flesh on the ground OUTSIDE the aviary and the only thing i can think of that could do that through a 1/4 of an inch or less of a gap was the sparrowhawks beak, surely a rodent or weasel would of eaten it in the avairy as they wouldnt of been able to get it out of the mesh?(there was no flesh inside the aviary on the floor) all that was left was the head(literally). if i had a video camera i would do some sort of set up . may have to see if i can borrow one.

the reasoning behind thinking it was the sparrow hawk was the fact that the ledge is halfway up a 6ft avairy, there were lumps of ripped off flesh on the ground OUTSIDE the aviary and the only thing i can think of that could do that through a 1/4 of an inch or less of a gap was the sparrowhawks beak, surely a rodent or weasel would of eaten it in the avairy as they wouldnt of been able to get it out of the mesh?(there was no flesh inside the aviary on the floor) all that was left was the head(literally). if i had a video camera i would do some sort of set up . may have to see if i can borrow one.

Yes, I agree it was most likely the sparrowhawk. Their feet will go through small gaps and they are lightning fast. Once one has bound on it will find it simple to cling onto prey and perch with feet and pick at prey through the mesh with beak.

I hope additional mesh works for you and your budgies.

John

Sparrowhawks are notorious for pulling aviary birds through the mesh. If it's any consolation, they're also notorious for killing themselves against the wire sooner or later.

The double layer of mesh is the only thing you can do really - a larger gauge mesh on the outside (cheaper than a smaller gauge on inside!) at least 5cm from the aviary mesh (nice and thick and shiny so it can see it, both to deter it from bothering to attack and to stop it killing itself - taught plastic mesh could be a cheaper and more humane alternative, as the impact will not be so hard if the sparrowhawk hits it). Make sure the gauge is not so big that the sparrowhawk can get inside and get trapped. No bigger than about 2" gauge.

If does manage to kill itself, send it here http://pbms.ceh.ac.uk/

Incidently, a weasel can easily get through 1/4" mesh and they also have a habit of carrying off predated birds to stash. They can also climb as well as a squirrel.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back