• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Sparrows Avoiding Feeder (1 Viewer)

TheSeagull

Hi,
I've regularly been having around 40 House Sparrows a day on my feeder, they even come beside me when I'm refilling it! But for the past two days for some reason there have been none, I know there still going about as there was one in my neighbour's garden (no feeder) and I seen them flying in amongst a hedge today but they've just stopped coming to my feeder for some reason. I put up peanuts and suet balls as House Sparrows are the only bird that came. Now no birds are coming. None to the new peanuts or suet either. Why are 'my' House Sparrow's avoiding me? :-C

House Sparrows really aren't suet eating birds. What seed are you using? I've been using a mixed variaty, and they always visit my bird feeder. Mabye they've found a new source of food that they either like better, or is closer to their nests. It does seem like an interesting thing to investigate.

House Sparrows really aren't suet eating birds. What seed are you using? I've been using a mixed variaty, and they always visit my bird feeder. Mabye they've found a new source of food that they either like better, or is closer to their nests. It does seem like an interesting thing to investigate.

I'm using a mixed variety as well. I will have to investigate further.

Hi,
I've regularly been having around 40 House Sparrows a day on my feeder, they even come beside me when I'm refilling it! But for the past two days for some reason there have been none, I know there still going about as there was one in my neighbour's garden (no feeder) and I seen them flying in amongst a hedge today but they've just stopped coming to my feeder for some reason. I put up peanuts and suet balls as House Sparrows are the only bird that came. Now no birds are coming. None to the new peanuts or suet either. Why are 'my' House Sparrow's avoiding me? :-C

I have about 30 House Sparrows ATM (mostly juveniles), they prefer seed to anything else. When they are feeding the juveniles, they also prefer bread (wholemeal). I've never seen them touch the fat balls in the years I've been feeding birds. They will have a go at the nut feeders, but only when there's no room at the seed or bread feeders.

I'd suggest mixed seed, and also bread in a scraps feeder.

I have about 30 House Sparrows ATM (mostly juveniles), they prefer seed to anything else. When they are feeding the juveniles, they also prefer bread (wholemeal). I've never seen them touch the fat balls in the years I've been feeding birds. They will have a go at the nut feeders, but only when there's no room at the seed or bread feeders.

I'd suggest mixed seed, and also bread in a scraps feeder.

I still have up the seed that they ate, I just put up peanuts and suet as well ;)

I still have up the seed that they ate, I just put up peanuts and suet as well ;)

Ah, because I never saw the word "seed" in your original post, and I missed the post above mine, I wasn't sure what you was feeding.

In that case, if they were eating the seed you offered for weeks/months/years before, then I've no idea why they would stop. The birds visit my feeders every day 365 days a year. If the seed was only eaten for a few days, maybe they learned that they don't like it?

TBH, your situation makes no sense, particularly when there are juveniles still to be fed.

Has your neighbour acquired a cat? Has there been a visit from a Sparrowhawk? They'll probably come back soon. And bring the Starlings and the gulls that you so enjoy ;)

Two possible thoughts: it got quieter (not completely quiet) for a while when I think my (tree) sparrows were feeding insects to their young - lots less birds at the feeder, but they were very carefully checking every branch of the trees.

Or maybe they are just wary of your new arrangement, and waiting to see it's really safe. In that case they should be back after a few days.

Sorry but I have to disagree about the fat balls they are as mad on them as the Starlings are in our garden and sometimes a fight takes place between both species as who will get nearest. NB with the fat balls I take them out or the nets and have them in a wide spaced feeder...but saying that I do have a couple in nets that are on a purpose bought holder that I have in our forsythia bush [which has the shape of a weeping willow] that they manage to find there way into to eat them.

The only "seed" all the Birds get in my garden is Sunflower hearts the Sparrows love these and what they eat from the feeders if there is any spillage on the floor is normally eaten by them or Blackbirds. In fact every species love Sunflower hearts. Peanuts no one will touch them!

Probably a strange thing to do but take a smell of the seed and feeders and make sure that it hasn't gone off as this is a sure way of them stopping coming.... you could give the feeders a wash out in any case just for hygene purposes.

We get both Sparrowhawks and cats coming into the garden and it hasn't put the 30 or so Spuggies off. Just make sure there is plenty of bushes for them to dive into or make a quick escape.

I agree Sparrows seem to like fatballs. About a dozen, mostly juveniles, vie with the Tits (Blue & Coal) daily for the 'pecking order' in my garden. Also a solitary Nuthatch recently visited for a day or two, but hasn't repeated this rare appearance. Strangely, Blackbirds are not as frequent as they were a few weeks ago; nor do Gulls (Blackheaded & Herring) congregate on the garage roof any more, their places having been taken by Pigeons who must have very good memories because each morning they look into my kitchen window to see if the peanut stock is still in evidence. Years ago there would be Starlings too, as irregular visitors, but now I can't remember the last time a Starling came. I can't explain these fluctuating attendances: as far as I recall, I still put out the same feeds of seeds, nuts, fatballs, breadcrumbs, mealworms and water (drinking dish and birdbath). Likewise, variations have occurred with Squirrels and Hedgehogs: there used to be five Squirrels each day; now only one, and two or three Hedgehogs as nocturnal guests; now none at all. Still, there is now a Vole (or small Mouse?) which scurries along the branches of the tree which hosts the feeders, preferring the fat in the half-coconut to other offerings. I am so pleased with the increased Sparrow numbers, but don't understand the declining Blackbirds (and Thrushes) unless the greedy Pigeons are scoffing all the currants, raisins and sultanas before their smaller competitors can get a look-in? My derogatory name for Pigeons is 'hoovers': the other day I tried an experiment; 50 peanuts were thrown to a lone (unusual!) Pigeon, who pecked up the lot in 42 seconds... Is this a record?

It's strange how two of you have Sparrows feeding on fat, whereas I've never seen them go near it. It could be because there are no other birds at the seed feeders, so they don't need to go for anything else (apart from the bread). It's not just because the Starlings are always at the fat balls either, as there are times when the Sparrows could get there if they wanted.

As an experiment, yesterday I didn't refill the seed feeders straight away. The Sparrows just kept going to the empty feeders, they still never went to the fat feeder.

Like I said, strange.

Sparrows here absoultey love the fat balls- even with seeds out too they will battle it out with the Starlings for the fat balls.

I was finding the peanuts werent of interest to anyone - so this week just put out fat balls and peanuts - Sparrows are happily tucking into both - but if seeds are available they ignore the peanuts.

Some days it feels like a cafe trying to get right balance of who wants what :)

I thought sparows liked bread?, ive commented on another thread but for about 2 sparrows most stay in next doors hedge, and i put fatballs, nuts, and seed mix, oh and even bread!

They're back now...strange...must of went on a summer holiday :-O They're not going to the seed now though, all of them go for the fat balls and one went for the peanuts. The seed used to take a day to empty, now it's taking over a week!

Hi,

best thing to do is put out mixed seeds as they love them but put out some fresh water and then they will visit your gargen or better dig a pond

Ive got a 'high energy' bird mix from wilkinsons, however the 'great/blue tit' loves it, what kind of seed is best for sparrows, thank you.;)

'My' sparrows go for anything, fat balls and mixed seed are best for them. I get the 10kg of seed for £8 at argos.

I used to get the Argos seed until I found a cheaper supplier, but that's not why I replied:

Argos have withdrawn the seed from their latest catalogue (in London, at least), they just have a few tubs in the clearance section online. Just a heads-up to check before you run out of seed at home.

I used to get the Argos seed until I found a cheaper supplier, but that's not why I replied:

Argos have withdrawn the seed from their latest catalogue (in London, at least), they just have a few tubs in the clearance section online. Just a heads-up to check before you run out of seed at home.

This is bad news...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back