• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi there and help (1 Viewer)

nodavinci

I've just joined (from wet and windy Aberdeen) because yesterday I saw a bird I've never seen before. I have a couple of bird feeders in my garden but I'm not really a 'bird watcher'.
Anyway this bird was about wren sized, pale green/ yellow, 3 greenish stripes on its head, two wing bars, very fast moving. It spent about 10 minutes in an old christmas tree I have planted in the garden. Looking in books, I think it was a Pallas Warbler, but its March and my book says they are infrequent visitors October -November time. Does anyone out there have information for me? Thanks a lot

Hi,

Welcome to Birdforum.

It sounds like a Warbler of some sort but they are all quite alike. My other guess would be a Goldcrest or Firecrest.

Hi nodavinci,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators a warm welcome to Bird Forum :t:

Warblers are always pretty difficult to tell apart even when you've seen a few. I wouldn't like to say which it is. However even in my area this winter we've had several continental warblers over wintering having arrived last Autumn and then remained in place rather than heading south or moving inland. It's quite possibly a bird that's arrived in Autumn and over wintered and may even be intending to attempt the journey back east in the Spring.

Hi nodavinci and a warm welcome from me too

We have several members living in Aberdeen so it may be an idea to check out this thread and perhaps ask in there too.

Keep an eye on the Scottish Bash Discussion thread We usually have a few each year and they are all great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us if you can manage. The next one is in East Lothian at the end of May

D

Hi Nodavinci and welcome to BirdForum

While there are spring records of Pallas's warbler goldcrest (as already suggested) would be a lot more likely.

Thanks everyone! I'm now hooked -I looked up the goldcrest and that does seem more likely to be what I saw -I now realise I'll have to improve on observations skills! I'll keep my eyes open for a re-appearance.
The name, by the way, is from poet Alan Jackson -"god sure wasn't
no davinci
ma feet is nice
but ma shoes is pinchy"

Everyone should read him!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back