• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from The Netherlands - and an ‘Opportunity for bird watchers, book lovers and collectors’ (1 Viewer)

Erna Horn

Supporter
Netherlands
Hello all,

My name is Erna Horn. I am based in The Netherlands, back on home ground after having spent 26 years living in the UK. I am not a specific birder myself, but did grow up with a brother whose passion in life was nothing but birds, birds and more birds. My brother’s enthusiasm, keen eye and expertise, whenever I accompanied him on his birdwatching trips – home or abroad - were a joy to experience. I learned a lot from him about birds from all over the world, though consider myself still no more than a reasonably informed layperson.

My brother died nearly 5 years ago. Going for walks now is not the same any longer. No longer is he there to effortlessly point out that little brown bird hiding in the reeds being such and such warbler, or sight a dark silhouette gliding over the fields and tell me without hesitation that it’s a male hen harrier hunting for food. I tried to make myself feel better with the purchase of a decent pair of binoculars; a poor substitute though when you are an amateur, and all you really want is your brother back instead.

My beloved brother left me a legacy of over 1000+ bird and natural history books. He would appreciate his books finding new owners who love birds as much as he did. I too would like to give them a good home, and I am therefore reaching out to all of you birdwatchers from around the world.

I left another post, titled ‘Opportunity for bird watchers, book lovers and collectors’ on the For Sale - Birding Optics & Nature related Items forum https://www.birdforum.net/forums/for-sale-birding-optics-nature-related-items.723/

Here you will find some specifics about the book collection, and my email address if you would like to receive the inventory of books for sale. You are more than welcome to contact me.

For now, happy bird watching wherever you are!
Erna

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. We do have some rules on posting items for sale: you need to be a member for at least 5 days, and have 10 posts (not gallery posts, or for sale posts) prior to posting an item for sale.

Thank you for your welcoming messages! Nice (-,

My apologies for inadvertently not adhering to the rules with regards to putting up a post in the for sale section (minimum 5 days member/10 posts). I did look for rules and regulations but couldn't find them anywhere. Should have looked harder (-;

I will get active on the forum then, so I can re-submit my ‘Opportunity for bird watchers, book lovers and collectors’ post in the for sale section again in a little while.

In a way this delay has inspired me to start a diary on the 3 stork nests which are all within a kilometre of my house. The storks arrived back a few weeks ago. It will get me out and use my brand new pair of binoculars and hopefully divert me from the sadness of not having my brother with me, using a different focus whilst observing birds. That would be a good thing.

Please, can someone tell me where I should post such a diary. Does that fall under Blogs? (I've never used a forum before and find all the options slightly bewildering).

Have a nice day!
Erna

Welcome! I’m sorry for the loss of your brother.

Yes, Blogs is the right place for a diary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back