• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goyt valley nr buxton (1 Viewer)

Goshawk

A Goshawk flew over Fernilee Reservoir today. Met someone recently who thought he saw one a few weeks ago in the same area.

Had a walk up the valley today and managed to catch up with the bramblings below taxel layby <about20> and 5or6 crossbills in the place metioned in early posts ,above the street carpark and just past the forestery road feeding in a spruce tree best photo i could manage ,they are not easy tall trees and lots of foilage and a bright sky

Attachments

• crossbill goyt.JPG
    crossbill goyt.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 82
Had a walk up the valley today and managed to catch up with the bramblings below taxel layby <about20> and 5or6 crossbills in the place metioned in early posts ,above the street carpark and just past the forestery road feeding in a spruce tree best photo i could manage ,they are not easy tall trees and lots of foilage and a bright sky

I had a walk from Taxal layby on Saturday. Didn't see any Bramblings but there was a Crossbill singing from the top of one of the conifer trees at Taxal church yard. Also a Dipper on the river at Hillbridge & two Buzzards displaying over Shallcross Wood.

Saw 3 Siskins - first for me & had them confirmed on Bird ID thread, a Chaffinch, two Coal Tits and 2 Great Tits in the Hoo Moor area this morning. Lot of birdsong in the valley too.

Last edited:
Stroll in the weeekend from Old Macclesfield Road area to Derbyshire Bridge on the track saw: Meadow Pipit, Wheatear, Grouse, 2 Chaffinch, Wren, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Pheasant and a Curlew calling lots.

5 willow warblers feeding in trees near Derbyshire Bridge. No sign of common sands though. 1 sparrow hawk, 2 kestrel and a buzzard also.

Phil

Last edited:
First Swallow

Went to see Ring Ousels at Danebower this am. Saw 1 plus several Wheatears
Swallow flew over Long Hill on return journey. The Pied Fly arrived on the 6th last year but no sign yet

One Common Sandpiper on Errwood Resr yesterday afternoon & a few willow Warblers about, but no sign of any Pied Flys, Redstarts or Tree Pipits yet

Yesterday, redstart in song by the road at the eastern end of the main reservoir -as you go towards cat & fiddle . Also common sand here at water's edge. Just as we climbed out of the valley at derbyshire bridge ,we saw a pair of ring ouzel plus a male stonechat.

House Martins

The first House Martin arrived this morning at the house. Very late this year which I guess is down to the weather we've had this month.
No sign of the Pied Flycatcher this year in the garden......yet....
There was a very confiding Male Goosander on the river below the old Water works on Saturday. The river by the way is pretty high at present

A short walk round Errwood Hall area :

Redstart (h)
Tree pipit
Many willow warblers
Chiffchaff
Usual woodland species
No common sands - water level very high

Danebower
Meadow pipits
Swallow
Red grouse
Curlew
Wheatear
1 ring ouzel (m)

Wildboarclough
Dipper
Grey wagtail

Phil

The Pied Flycatcher returns!

Just stepped outside and the male Pied Fly is preening by the nestbox!! 3rd year running. Just need the female now. Time for a celebratory drink!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back