• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help figuring out what to do at first (2 Viewers)

Zack_

United Kingdom
I wasnt sure if this was the right place to ask, ive never been birdwatching before but ive alwasy been so intrested in starting and always loved birds , i live in england and i was just wondering if anyone had some advice on how to get started or good places to go at first, sorry if this is the wrong place im still figuring the forum out.
Thank you
Zack

Welcome. Have a look to see if there's a County bird group who do walks (I'm in Kent so it's the KOS for me, but must counties have active bird groups). If you are a member of the RSPB they may have a local group and generally welcome all ages and levels of experience (the Canterbury group in the 80's used to be very good @John Cantelo ). Your local Wildlife Trust may also do guided walks around local reserves. Once you've got a pair of binoculars and a basic field guide head out to reserves and chat with other birders - the majority are very welcoming to new birders.

Welcome. Have a look to see if there's a County bird group who do walks (I'm in Kent so it's the KOS for me, but must counties have active bird groups). If you are a member of the RSPB they may have a local group and generally welcome all ages and levels of experience (the Canterbury group in the 80's used to be very good @John Cantelo ). Your local Wildlife Trust may also do guided walks around local reserves. Once you've got a pair of binoculars and a basic field guide head out to reserves and chat with other birders - the majority are very welcoming to new birders.
Thank you so much thats really helpful i really appreciate it man :)

I wasnt sure if this was the right place to ask, ive never been birdwatching before but ive alwasy been so intrested in starting and always loved birds , i live in england and i was just wondering if anyone had some advice on how to get started or good places to go at first, sorry if this is the wrong place im still figuring the forum out.
Thank you
Zack
You can do bird-watching anywhere - even before you get up. There is almost bound to be some birds singing especially at the moment even if you live in town. Blackbirds are singing from about 5.30am where I live and you may find in spring you get woken up by the birds. Right now its pouring with rain and I can see a Magpie from one window and a Woodpigeon from the other. There's a Lesser Black-backed Gull on the roof, I can't see him but I can hear him.

Try to learn a few of the most likely bird songs like Robin and Wren. Wrens are tiny and can be hard to spot but they have a deafening song for their size and there are supposed to be 11 million of them so there must be one near you.

Go to the local park/duck pond if you are in a town. If you live in the country just go for a walk.

If you are buying a bird guide book I would advise getting one covering British birds only rather than all of Europe. At the moment we are in the middle of spring migrant arrival so there is a sort of moving target effect. I heard my first Willow Warbler and Blackcap yesterday and there are more birds due to arrive later in the month to keep you on your toes. So as you go through a bird guide keep an eye on whether the bird is a resident or summer visitor and double check likely arrival times.

An RSPB reserve is a good port of call to try out and buy both the bins and book in my view, I got my bins at one and they had a good price range to choose from including their own brand.

Hi Zack and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Some great advice for you above. I see you are in Hampshire, so here's a link to some articles we have in Opus for the county: Category:Hampshire - BirdForum Opus, just click on any of the links that are near you. There are also links within the articles to take you to pages about the individual birds you might see at them.

When in Opus you can also search for information about any other county or country you fancy visiting too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Zack and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Some great advice for you above. I see you are in Hampshire, so here's a link to some articles we have in Opus for the county: Category:Hampshire - BirdForum Opus, just click on any of the links that are near you. There are also links within the articles to take you to pages about the individual birds you might see at them.

When in Opus you can also search for information about any other county or country you fancy visiting too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back