• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goyt valley nr buxton (2 Viewers)

Pied Fly update

Had a period when I wasnt seeing them much atall but now regular around the nest again. My guess is she is now sitting on eggs. Male brings food to the box (for her I guess) and she nips out every now and again. Im sure activity will increase when there are young to be fed
Siskins and Redpolls still regular on the niger feeder

Wood Warbler

Record shot (thats about all its good for) of Wood Warbler in Goyt Valley. Light was poor (thats my excuse anyway)

Attachments

• IMG_0437-1.JPG
    IMG_0437-1.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 123
Pied Fly update

Eggs have hatched. Both adults have spent all day visiting the box with food. Would love to look in the box but not going to

My first proper walk in the valley for a while ,caught the bus to the cat and fiddle and walked from there lots of meadow pipets and 2 spotted flys got the day off to a good start a host of red grouse on the moors and 2 mistle thrushes . A few curlew were calling and flying about ,also heard the mornful call of a goldern plover ,2 more spotted flys and 1 pied fly before reaching the res ,met up with some other birders who had seen common sand and redstart but no one had seen any wood warblers and i did not hear any cuckoos Took the route over berry clough to buxton that turned up a couple of stonechats a couple of record shots

Attachments

• spot fly  5.JPG
    spot fly 5.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 94
  • stone chat 21.JPG
    stone chat 21.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 79
After a drizzly afternoon in Derbyshire Bridge I saw: three Red Deers, two Goldfinches, two Chaffinches, two Blackbirds, a Mistle Thrush and two Curlews calling and flying around.

Bananafishbones: Stunning photo of the owl!

Pied Fly update

The young(don't know how many) are looking out of the nestbox. Mum is feeding non-stop. Dad is noticeable by his absence. Saw him briefly yesterday but its Mum doing all the work

Attachments

• jun1 092.jpg
    jun1 092.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 81
Pied Flys

Luckily this afternoon caught the first youngster leaving the nest

Attachments

• IMG_0910.jpg
    IMG_0910.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0923.jpg
    IMG_0923.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 75
Pied Flys

8.00am and the nestbox is empty. No sign of female or youngsters but the male is around singing and calling and regularly checking the nestbox. Don't know whether hes just confused or planning to start over...

Pied flys - Part 2?

Well it looks like he is starting over..
He spent all yesterday calling and singing and spent a lot of time near a different nestbox recently vacated by Blue tits.
This morning a female is with him and they have both been inside the box.
So looking good for another brood

Due to a family holiday & work commitments, I paid my first visit to the Goyt for over two weeks today. There was still one Wood Warbler present singing its head off. It was in the area of the log book, well away from where one was singing a couple of weeks ago, so I’m not sure if this was the same or a second bird. There was no sight or sound of another further along the Riverside Walk. I counted four Spotted Flycatchers between Errwood Resr & Derbyshire Bridge & at least four pairs of Pied Flycatchers were busy feeding young. Four Tree Pipits were still singing & I saw one male Redstart carrying food. I also came across a very obliging Jay sat on the path. I normally find Jays to be very wary birds who fly off as soon as you establish a line of sight. However, this one just sat on the path seemingly untroubled as I walked towards it. I thought at first it was either injured or ill as it allowed me to get within 20 feet of it before flying up into the nearest tree seemingly alright. According to the log book, there have been two Whinchat singing recently along Berry Clough but all I could find was one Stonechat. Other birds included two Hobbies at Derbyshire Bridge, three Raven, two Sparrowhawks, several Blackcap still singing & three Cuckoos.
I returned at 9.30pm to the area where the Nightjar took up residence last year but didn’t see or hear it. As far as I know it has not been seen or heard at all this year. There were several Woodcock roding & two Tawny Owls.

Attachments

• IMG_0406-Edit.jpg
    IMG_0406-Edit.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 62
A very quiet late evening walk along the upper valley tonight.
At least 2 young common sands begging for young along the upper reaches of Fernilee and a Wood Warbler singing along the riverside walk but no flycatchers. A single Jay, a Grey Wag and a pair of Stonechat at Derbyshire bridge and around 20 swifts flying south over the moors. Golden Plover could be heard from the grassy areas towards the Cat & Fiddle but not a lot else.

As mosschops said not a great lot about at the moment but finaly managed to catch up with the wood warbler ,record shot as it was very flitty

Attachments

• wood warbler.JPG
    wood warbler.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 78
Hi everyone... wondered if anyone might be able to give me a bit of a heads up.

Planning on heading up to Goyt Valley for the first time on Satrurday,. Never been birding anywhere up there.... we have a wedding up there and I have persuaded my girlfriend to a very early start and heading up from London to get a few hours birding in before the wedding!

Can anyone advise on the best places to go, where I am best parking, particular walks around that area etc?

Was also thinking of seeing if I could cram in another site locally if anyone has any other useful ideas (was thinking Danebower or Wildboarclough on route).

Any useful tips would be gratefully recieved and any ideas of what is showing well at the moment also would be useful!!

Thanks all,

Mike

Not a lot showing at the moment ,but there are common sandpipers at the top end of errwood saw 2 little ringed plovers on friday but i think they were on passage ,saw a wood warbler on wednesday on the riverside walk <footpath beyound the top of res turn left > follow the road past the res 1 way then park in the old quarry car park half a mile past the res ,check out this area for spotted flys and watch the tops of the moors for rapters carry on to a car park on your left ,derbyshire bridge and walk the track away from the car park for red grouse ,possable raven mipets not been up to dane boller for a while now but there is quite often wheatear up there best of luck ,macclesfield forest might be ok not been there for a a couple of monthes mybe someone could give you some imfo on going there

Cheers Peter. All useful info.
Will give a go and see what turns up.

Out of interest, i see from the other threads that SE Owls have been showing, but mainly in the evenings. Has there been any sightings early morning or even during the day up there?

I have not seen them during the day ,as you say night time is best ,you could stand a chance early morning the earlyer the better also check the river for grey wagtails and dippers ,also keep a look out on the top of the pine trees for siskins

Sightings

Hobby showing well today over Derbyshire Bridge car park then out over Axe Adge moor. Spotted Flycathcer in the trees around the topmost car park just beyond the main one. 2 Golden Plover on Dane Bower moor and Ravens everywhere today, never seen so many.
I never see SE Owl on the moors, out of curiosity how many pairs would the Goyt/Axe edge/Danebower moors sustain? and are Merlin to be found in the area?

Jason

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back