• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambia - 1 Day Birding Opportunity (1 Viewer)

Lichfield Birder

...should've been here 5 minutes ago, mate....
All,

I am going to Gambia in about a week and have been before it is mainly a beach holiday but I will be allowed out 1 day to go birding with a guide. I have already done Abuko, Bijilo monkey park, rice fields, Tanji, and Lamin lodge. Are there any other places anyone can recommend that is do able on a 1 day trip, based out of the Senegambia Hotel, and will give a good variety of birds.

Thanks in advance

I went to Tujering in Dec 2008 (about same distance as Tanji, maybe a little further)- here's a cut and paste from my trip report (if you search on my threads you'll find the full report, if you like) -

The area birded at Tujering was a man-made compound with cleared land within, surrounded by
scattered trees/semi-hedgerows and scrubland, with some cleared (cultivated) areas. It was
packed with birds; the first was a Striped Kingfisher, in a tree right by where we left the taxi, and
other birds popped out of the scrub and onto the path, the wall and bushes alongside the
compound, including Redstart, Red-winged Warbler, Vitelline Masked Weaver, Rock Thrush,
Chiffchaff, Namaqua Dove, Whinchat, White-crested Helmet Shrike, Red-cheeked Cordon-bleu,
Woodchat, Grey, Brown-backed and Fine-spotted Woodpecker, Lavender Waxbill, Little Weaver,
Grey-headed Sparrow, Northern Red Bishop, Yellow-fronted Canary, Double-spurred Francolin
(on a wall for a while, managed pictures showing the spurs!), White-fronted Black Chat (this
species was not even on my radar for the trip!), several Brubru, a fine pair of Senegal Batis,
African Golden Oriole calling, Greater Honeyguide, Western Grey Plantain-eater, a Klaas’s
Cuckoo in a tree overhanging the path, Black-billed Wood-dove, Vinaceous Dove, Stone
Partridge, a pair of Lanner Falcons, Cut-throat Finch, Village Weaver, both Singing and Whistling
Cisticolas, Blackcap, Melodious Warbler, Blackcap Babbler, Chestnut-crowned Sparrow-weaver
(another unexpected surprise), Bush Petronia, Black-crowned Tchagra, Vieillot’s Barbet, Splendid
and Beautiful Sunbird, Wheatear and the final surprise, just before leaving, a group of three
White-shouldered Black Tits, a fitting end to a superb morning! All in, we were only at Tujering for
just over 2 ½ hours; I could happily have stayed all day.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited:
I went for a 4 day holiday a couple of weeks ago & arranged a days birding with a local guide. We visited Tujereng in the morning, then had lunch on the beach followed by the afternoon at Brufut woods.

I also had a pre breakfast walk the next day around Kotu Creek, sewage works & golf course. It took a couple of hours & was well worth it.

I saw 125 species in total.

cheers
Mike

Went to Gambia this January, used a very friendly local Guide called Foday Bojang, we found his rates very reasonable and he was reliable, he knew the area's and more importantly the birds, his ability to pick up birds by sight and calll was amazing,

Drop him an email ([email protected]) and tell him what you want, and he will sort you out, mention my name

Good Luck !

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back