• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian Curlew or Far Eastern Curlew (1 Viewer)

transform777

Hi,
I originally thought this bird was Far Eastern due to bill length but later read that Eastern race of Eurasian can have3 as long a bill. Plus very white belly and tail stripes.

Any 2nd opinions?

Seen 21. March, Laem Pakarang, Thailand 2017

Thx!
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_5473.JPG
    IMG_5473.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_5468.JPG
    IMG_5468.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 239
A Eurasian for me, very white, especially rear flanks, streaked not spotted and white rump just visible, also the rather greyish cast rather than brown upperparts. Far-eastern does winter in small numbers on the Gulf of Thailand, usually a handful at the Pak Thale.

Last edited:
I agree with Eurasian. And I think it's clearer if the photos are brightened up.

(I'm not picking on you, Transform, but I often wonder why people don't adjust their photos to get the best view possible before posting. This isn't a photo site, so their are no bonus points for putting up a completely unadjusted photo: the point is to post a photo which is most likely to get the correct ID.)

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 169
  • attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 68
A Eurasian for me, very white, especially rear flanks, streaked not spotted and white rump just visible, also the rather greyish cast rather than brown upperparts. Far-eastern does winter in small numbers on the Gulf of Thailand, usually a handful at the Pak Thale.
Thanks for your help - very late, I forgot about it!

Blast from the past!

Rockfowl - if you get a contact from this thread, then I hope you and yours are well. I guess it's not a great time to be a bird guide for China.

Here in Nara, for us ordinary locals, it's great to have our Unesco World Heritage attractions fairly quiet with no Chinese visitors, but obviously the opposite for businesses. The tourist numbers had increased sixfold over the last ten years, making it completely different from when we moved here twenty-five years ago, and Chinese was heard much more than Japanese in Nara Park - the deer and the space were great for Chinese (also Malaysian, and related) families with kids.

It's nothing to do with the Chinese being Chinese, just the physical numbers of people.

I remember Paris thirty or forty years ago, when the French complained about coachload after coachload after coachload of Japanese tourists in front of the Louvre and Pompidou, so locals couldn't just walk in as they used to. So what goes around comes around, or Karma as they call it.

But it's a bit too quiet these days; it would be great if the world calmed down and the Chinese visitors/guests came back.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back