• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elusive New Zealand birds (1 Viewer)

Mark:-)

I'm off to NZ over Christmas and most of January and trying to nail down a few sites for the following species that I've heard can be hard to find:

Rock Wren
Yellowhead
Orange-fronted kakariki
Black stilt

If anyone has any up-to-date info on the best places to find these, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Mark
There's an excellent book by Stuart Chambers called Birds of New Zealand - Locality Guide. It should be available in NZ when you get there, Amazon also have it.. It gives a wealth on indormation on sites, think I've seen it in this country as well.

Rock wren - around the boulders at Homer Tunnel, can't rmeember the call but you should be able to find it in Internet. There's also a site around Arthur's Pass.

Black stilt - DOC have a site at Twizle for re-introduction and they can point you to where they can be found in the wild.

Yellowhead - in woodland towards Milford Sound from Te Anua.

If you've time don't miss Tiri tiri matangi, its magic for edemics also the pelagic from Kaikoura. I've been to both a couple of times and the list you can get is impressive. Pelagic will get a number of different albatrosses.

Plenty of information on the internet, I've used other people's trip reports as the basis of where to go.

Phil

Last edited:
Phil,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't got the book, but have looked at plenty of trip reports - hence the concerns about how difficult the likes of Rock Wren can be! You can never have too much info on where to look - especially when you start missing things at the "regular" sites.

We're going to all the places you mentioned - really looking forward to Tiri (although we couldn't get a booking for an overnight stay for the kiwi) and Kaikoura - amazing how the lure of close-up views of albatrosses, petrels and shearwaters can get a self-proclained land-lubber onto a tiny boat. Even going on a days pelagic off Stewart Island. Hopefully I won't be doing my own chumming!!!

To any Kiwi birders out there - have you seen Orange-fronted kakariki this year? Any sightings within easy reach of Arthur's Pass? I have only a one night stay in this area, so don't want to waste too much time driving/walking miles off route.

Really starting to get excited about the trip now - less than a month away.

Cheers

Mark

If you've the time the whalewatching is good from Kaikoura as well, few birds though. Albatross Centre near Dunedin is worth a visit, don't go in though just to see them they were flying round when I was there, cafe is OK, the money supports the Roral Albatross trhough. Check as it closes in breeding season I think. Penguins sites near by as well. Goos waders on beaches round there as well.
Have you planned Miranda, brilliant for waders. wrybill excellent in March maybe too early January. Don't leave anything on view anywheer we got the car done at Miranda, fortunately had all the expensive gear with us otherwise the holiday would have been ruined.
Woods around Mirror Lakes near Te Anau were execellent.

PM me if you wnat more info and I'll ferret out where else I went on my 2 trips. Whichever way its quality rather than quanity in NZ. Tiri is just magic for the endemics and they were photographable.

Phil

Hi Mark,

I was out in NZ this Sep....

Rock Wren. Dippity dip. Horrific weather put a pay to that up by Homers Tunnel....g'luck!.
Yellowhead. The path to Lake Sylvian (beyond Queenstown) gave amazing views of these fantastic wee chaps and plenty more. Also saw a flock on Ulva Island, but not well (reintroduced there).
Orange-fronted kakariki. I didn't even try.....
Black Stilt. Saw a stack of hybrids at various places in the general area of Twizzel, many equipped with radio trackers. The DOC place was closed when I was there. I did see one pure one, but I'm a bit wary about saying where.

Thanks for the tips. Your Rock Wren experience is the exact reason for my initial posting; I've read so many reports about (a) this bird being hard to find and (b) the lousy weather around the Homer Tunnel, that having back-up sites for the difficult stuff seems to be pretty much essential. I just hope that by us going in January the weather in that area might subside to less than monsoon conditions and allow at least the chance to look for them.

The Yellowhead site info is excellent - hadn't come across that before. I fully understand the Black Stilt situation. I have a couple of days in the Twizel area so plenty of time for searching, and can always contact the DOC locally.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark.

The Hawdon valley track in Arthurs Pass is as good a place as any to find the Orange Fronted Parakeets (Look high in the canopy) although prob only a 20% chance but you will see yellow fronts and good chance of yellow Heads up here too. Have seen them 2 out of 3 trips lately. Also brilliant for rifleman, brown creeper and Robins + a few Tomtits

Also the Otaira valley track is the place for Rock Wren. Go right up to the top about an hour and a halfs walk... it kind of levels off into a mountain bowl and look in the boulders on the left (eastern side of the valley)... that have mixed vegetation with them. If you cant see them straight up sit down and keep your ears pinned for a very high pitched double squeak (like a mouse)...'eek-eek' almost undetectable.. They will pop out eventually..fantastic wee bird!!!

This is where I got this shot http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/displayimage.php?pos=-10160

Good luck!!

Hi Mark,

I guess you're out there now, so hope the trip's going well. I for one am hoping you'll send in a report of how you got on in the vacational trip section, as I'm hoping to visit South Island about a year from now.

Good luck

Larry Wheatland said:
Hi Mark,

I guess you're out there now, so hope the trip's going well. I for one am hoping you'll send in a report of how you got on in the vacational trip section, as I'm hoping to visit South Island about a year from now.

Good luck

Got back from Nz just before Christmas will post a trip report soon!!

Great place NZ...scenery stunning. The reason I am not going to Sula s (in May)for black browed Albatross? Kaikoura!! (having seen happy breeding birds !-) Also with Stewart Island 7 different Albertrosses seen on the trip!!
plus yellowhead, rock wren (pair), Black Stilt and Kakariki (Red and Yellow crowned...not sure what is meant by orange fronted?
Kiwi and other endemics.....NZ Dotterel and Matata, the fernbird.

Nice one Dryocopus.

Orange-fronted (Malherbe's) Parakeet is a critically endangered form, possibly a distinct species, similar to Yellow-fronted Parakeet. It's found in the north of South Island.

Larry Wheatland said:
Hi Mark,

Good luck

Thanks for all the input guys. Just got back (and still suffering from jet lag!), but what can i say? AMAZING!

Everybody raves about how beautiful the place is - they're right. North Island is a bit like the more rural parts of the UK (eg Peak District, Dartmoor), but South Island is like another world - huge snow-capped mountain ranges (yes, snow fell in the mddle of summer!), stunning, mirror-smooth lakes and the most atmospheric, moss-covered forests you've ever seen. No wonder they filmed Lord of the Rings there. And then there's the birds...

The island of Tiritiri Matangi in the North holds most of the introduced endangered native species and easy to see in a single day trip. Brown teal, takehe, Tui, Kokako, Stitchbird, Red-fronted parakeet, Whitehead, bellbird were all ticked within three hours. Couldn't stay overnight for LS kiwi, so had to got to Kapiti Island for that one.

Kapiti is another island sanctuary with similar species (no kokako), but has a much more mature feel. It's more birdy, with bigger trees and makes you realise what Tiri should grow into. Whatever your feelings about reintroductions, you'd probably swallow any misgivings if you paid either of these places a visit.

The Cook Strait crossing was a bit rough, but that meant more birds. Quite a few albatrosses, some went unidentified inevitably, but White-capped, Black-browed and Buller's were ID'd, plus Fairy prions, Fluttering Shearwaters, Cape Petrels.

A cruise up the Marlborough sound produced a single King Shag (the only place in the world where they occur) before moving onto to Kaikoura. Everyone raves about the place, and I can see why. It is a beautiful place in itself, with an awesome mountain range behind it, but the seabirding is truly wonderful. The continental shelf runs really close to land here, meaning you are in serious water after only 15 minutes in a boat. The "Albatross Encounter" is a small (10-12 person) boat that goes out and "chums" the birds. Within minutes we were sat within 6 feet of 2 Gibson's Wandering Albatross, 3 salvin's albatross, 5 Northern & 1 southern Giant Petrels, Westland and Cape petrels, to name a few. The numbers and variety weren't as good as I'd expected, but it was later in the summer than most birding trips . Additional bonuses were a pod of Dusky Dolpin under the boat and 4 Sperm whales during a 30 minute helicopter whale-watch.

I dipped on GS Kiwi at Arthur's Pass. It was pouring down and didn't even managed to hear a call either. My only real dip of the trip. (Didn't try for Orange-fronted parakeet - too much effort and too little time).

The Rock Wren at Homer's tunnel gave itself up in glorious sunshine within 100yds of the car park and proceeded to dance around our feet - at one time, only 6 inches from my fingers! My bird of the trip - pity it was too quick for the camera to get really crippling shots!

Yellowhead (I'm told by the Dept of Conservation) is now wiped out in the Eglington Valley, and I duly failed to find any here, but managed to get excellent views on Ulva Island (off Stewart Island) later in the trip, when I had one of those 2 hours of birding where everything gives itself up. I literally walked one of the trails and birds just popped up to get themselves ticked. Both parakeets, weka, kaka, rifleman, brown creeper all gave excellent views.

A pelagic off Stewart Island was disappointing due to a calm sea. (Seems strange to say I'm sorry the sea was calm!) But the wind got up the following day and albatrosses appeared from nowhere. Without a scope, I managed to ID 4 Buller's and over 20 White-Capped albatross just cruising up and down the coast about 200-400 yards out. Not an experience I often get in deepest Staffordshire!! The return across the Foveaux Strait back to S Island was more a case of clinging on to my seat as the high-speed ferry dodged and bucked in a 3 metre swell. With the naked eye I managed W-C Alb, a prion sp, Cape Petrel and thousands of Sooty Shearwaters streaming past. Fortunately my stomach held out for the hour-long ride.

Haven't had time to sort through the photos yet, but if I have anything good I'll post a few to get you droooling.

Thanks again for the interest.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I was out in NZ this Sep....

Rock Wren. Dippity dip. Horrific weather put a pay to that up by Homers Tunnel....g'luck!.
Yellowhead. The path to Lake Sylvian (beyond Queenstown) gave amazing views of these fantastic wee chaps and plenty more. Also saw a flock on Ulva Island, but not well (reintroduced there).
Orange-fronted kakariki. I didn't even try.....
Black Stilt. Saw a stack of hybrids at various places in the general area of Twizzel, many equipped with radio trackers. The DOC place was closed when I was there. I did see one pure one, but I'm a bit wary about saying where.

Hey Big Phil

Have just found this old thread but was interested about your comment above concerning the hybrids with antennae....think you'll find that these were the newly released young Black Stilts!

I'm on South Island now so would like to bump this thread!

Any recent gen on Orange-fronted Parakeet or mainland Yellowhead sites? Also any gen on GS and O Kiwis would be brilliant too.

What about Aus Bittern on South Island, any sites?

cheers,

Larry

Hi Larry; Hope your trip is going well.
The Orange Fronted Kakariki can be found in The Sumner Forest Park, DoC at the Waimakariri office should be able to help you, they are just out of Christchurch.
Also in Christchuch is Peacock Springs run by the Issac Trust, they breed Orange-Fronted Kakariki for release, they would also be able to help, and you can at least see them there...as well as other native/rare birds.

All the best with your trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back