• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ceredigion Birding (1 Viewer)

Matt,

Yep, by Nant yr arian I've seen two. And I hope you checked the dead one for rings! hehe. There is like alot of Woodcock ringing occuring around here now as part of a project for the Game and Wildlife Conservancy Trust to find out more about these secretive birds!

Sarah

I did check its legs, am pretty sure i checked it legs, i normally check dead birds' legs!! I may check again if its still there!! :0)

I take it you are a ringer then? I quite fancy going for my C permit and help out at University, they need ringers!

Anywhere specific where you saw the Woodcocks? on the bends?

Cheers

Matt

I did check its legs, am pretty sure i checked it legs, i normally check dead birds' legs!! I may check again if its still there!! :0)

I take it you are a ringer then? I quite fancy going for my C permit and help out at University, they need ringers!

Anywhere specific where you saw the Woodcocks? on the bends?

Cheers

Matt

I have a 'c' permit and am ringing around here. Mostly on university fields. I am helping with the uni great tit project if thats what you are refering to. Are you a Trainee at the moment? I'v been ringing since 2000ish and still only have a 'c'. But hope to get my 'A' permit in the next year or two. Fingers crossed. Its not easy getting a full licence with my ringing group back home. But thats how they keep a good reputation!

Erm, It was just by all the bendy bits, where u cant take your eyes of the road of course!!!

Sarah.

I have a 'c' permit and am ringing around here. Mostly on university fields. I am helping with the uni great tit project if thats what you are refering to. Are you a Trainee at the moment? I'v been ringing since 2000ish and still only have a 'c'. But hope to get my 'A' permit in the next year or two. Fingers crossed. Its not easy getting a full licence with my ringing group back home. But thats how they keep a good reputation!

Erm, It was just by all the bendy bits, where u cant take your eyes of the road of course!!!

Sarah.

Yeah thats the project am refering to!! I havent even started so i am a long way behind!

Aha! I thought it would be at that bit! haha!

Yeah thats the project am refering to!! I havent even started so i am a long way behind!

Aha! I thought it would be at that bit! haha!

If u want to have a look on the BTO website and go on the ringers page.

unfortunately there aren't many available trainers around here but if you are a student there could be more back home.

Are you doing contryside conservation by chance? Dave Powel was going to email students about my ringing on campus and see if students wanted me to do a ringing demonstration thing. But since its an early start and mid disertation time i doubt there will be much interest. (hopefully!! hehe!)

Sarah.

i might be interested in that, depending on how much work iv got on, il ask dave powell about it. im doing management rather than conservation, but same thing really. cud probably get some of my m8s interested aswell. my mates arent as interested in birds as me, but as conservationists thy all have a basic interest, and im the one who shows them interesting birds. already showed two of my m8s the phalaropes, one on monday and the other yesterday.

haha. so i might actualy have to do it now then???

Thats fine. Dave will probably email you what to do. it will be an early start tho! and its not the best site in the world for numbers, but that would mean i can show people more without a big rush. I think he is getting people who are interested to email me, so i can make sure there's not too many people coming up at a time - id prob get scared and run away!!! Plus people wouldnt be able to see what im doing! haha. have the countryside students got the email yet??

Sarah.

i dont think so, if he has i havent seen it yet lol. wish i could go out at the moment an see birds ): stupid exams. who makes people do exams on a weekend anyway!

haha, my mates are being boring to coz they do ur course, in 3rd year, so revising and being dull! all over soon though. going to see if i can get any woodcock tonight! :D

Sarah.

lol,same year as me then. it is a well hard year, lol. got my last exam today.

Yeh, but it goes really quickly!!!! enjoyed my course tho. I did Countryside Conservation.

No luck with the woodcock. saw some, got close to one, but not close enough!! Also flushed a common snipe. think the light from town is just too bright to get close to them without them seeing me. need to find a different farm i think.

Sarah.

Went for a walk at the Rheidol valley today. Right at the top where you can look accross at Devils Bridge. Saw....hardly anything!! No Ring-neck Duck. But 2 Little Grebes, a couple of Goosanders, Red Kites and Buzzards of course and a nuthatch very close which was nice! Very bright. Along with the other usual species.

Sarah.

Caught, ringed, measured and released 3 Woodcock this evening. Was glad to finally catch some. And 3 in 2 hours isn't bad if i say so myself!!! Also about 6 Common Snipe, which were too quick for me to catch.

From a very happy Sarah!

saw a group of redwing on the ground feeding in the snow, under pine trees on Cwrt mawr/rosser campus beside the road. they were really close, and wish id had my camera.
counted 11 turnstone on the beach today and saw another group of about 5 on the rocks.

hi

I was at ford wood today. I heard nuthatch, saw at least two great spotted woodpeckers, flushed a woodcock and caught a buzzard whilst bird ringing!! Was pretty impressive getting so closed to a full grown buzzard!

sarah

2 pintail, a flushed woodcock, mistle thrushes, goosander, goldeneye, little egret, nuthatch, great spotted woodpecker, shelduck and shovler today along with all the regulars at Ynys-hir this pm.
Sarah

just seen a flock of 20 Wigeon out at sea at the bottom of consti hill, aber. how unusual is this? dont remember seeing them out at see before.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back