• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car Hire; new ploy (1 Viewer)

Egret

Just back from Spain where I discovered a new - to me - ploy in the car hire war. I have an annual policy to cover all the extra insurance so beloved of car hire companies. So, I listened, a little smugly, to the assistant explain all the ways they wanted to use to extract an extra 84 euros from me (twice the price of my annual policy!). However, she had the last laugh when she said "no extras, no free recovery service" (paraphrased). As I haven't rented in Spain for a few years I wondered if this was a new ploy or am I just behind the times? Is their such a thing as a "fair" car hire company?

I hired a car from "Firefly" at Malaga, booked through "Doyouspain.com"

There are all sorts of ploys.

The current one seems to be that if you have the car for more than 2 days, to charge you for a full tank of fuel (usually a minimum of 50 euros) and you have to return it empty - no refund on unused fuel. Over my last three trips to Mallorca I reckon I´ve forked out over 100 euros for nothing. Only if you have the car for less than 2 days do you take it back full. It´s just another form of tax.

There´s also the trick with insurance. I pay for all excess in the Uk but when I get here they say that does not count, only if you do it through them, as they are subcontracted. The only way I´ve found to get out of paying it is to leave a deposit (which is for the full amount of the excess c. 90 euroes per week) - which they actually deduct from your account during the period of the hire (currently for me 4 weeks) and which you get back on return of the car undamaged.

Then there´s the model X (or equivalent). I hired a Renault Clio 3 door air-con and what was waiting for me on arrival, a Fiat Panda plus. Not an equivalent in my book. I´ve yet to see how it copes with mountain roads (tomorrow).

All the comanies I looked at, which I have to say were not many, seem to do the same thing.

Needless to say I will be having words with the company I booked through when I get back.

Martin

In the US they still have the "return it empty" as an option, but people figured out that they were losing money on it, so very few experienced travellers do it any more.

So to make their money they now charge you 3-4 times the regular price per gallon if you don't return it perfectly full.

Though not exclusively, the car scams of 'full-empty' etc in Europe are basically confined to Spain - it takes a lot of effort to find a company not operating this legalised theft when renting in that country.

Some years ago, the E.U. tackled the false pricing of airlines and now all, Ryan, Easy Jet and the flag carriers, display the actual price at initial booking. There are no add-ons for non-optional services. Quite right too. The E.U. is also taking on the telecom companies for roaming rip-offs. High time for them to look at car hire too!

However, she had the last laugh when she said "no extras, no free recovery service" (paraphrased).

If car breaks down, i.e. due to mechanical failure of the car provided by the hirer and not to any negligence on the renter's part, I would question whether this is legal. They provide the car, it proves defective, they have a duty to provide remedy.

Moreover, if this was not mentioned at time of booking, it is also questionable whether it can be enforced. If you had declined to rent a car under such a condition, would they have tried to have deducted a fee for cancellation of rental? If so, it is certainly illegal. No company can impose previously unmentioned conditions and then impose fees if the client does not agree.

I have been travelling to alicante a fair bit this year and have found that if you book with Centauro, as long as you do it direct, you can return with the tank full. They also have a scheme where once you have booked three times you become a gold card member and song have to queue at the airport terminal and get an additional driver for free. I have an annual insurance policy too which was £39.99. Saved it in one trip

Have had a wonderful time in the area around Pinoso and seen a lot of species I have never seen before, bee eaters, crested tit, red rumped swallow, Chough, alpine swift. Thrilled to see roller and golden oriole a little further afield. They are all relatively common I suppose around there, but makes a change from the usual back home

The problem is the fact that once you've got to the front of the queue and already paid in some way or other they have got you by the balls.

I used Holiday rentals (or holdays abroad or something similar) on Menorca (I think) and actually paid a fee to waive the damage excess. The only time I have ever paid any extras and the only time I have ever reversed into a lamp-post!! Result. Add to this the fact that it was half the price of a 'friends' recommended company.

I think Jos may be right regarding sale of goods etc. Don't know how it works over the internet although I think provided you have booked within a week of travelling you can cancel without a charge - distance selling regs...

I am pondering changing my method. At Malaga, instead of pre-booking, I might try picking one of the desks, with no customers and seeing what kind of deal I can organise. Logic being, no customers = keen to do business.
Incidentally, the car we had was a VW Caddy (similar to Berlingo etc). It was great for birdwatching; loads of luggage space for four people; good cubby holes for binocs. etc. Came home thinking " I could buy this car.

I am pondering changing my method. At Malaga, instead of pre-booking, I might try picking one of the desks, with no customers and seeing what kind of deal I can organise. Logic being, no customers = keen to do business.

rarely cheaper, frequently costs far more. Try agent such as car3000, price will be good, but local fuel rip-offs will be the same. Check terms, all car3000 bookings detail the fuel conditions.

...and actually paid a fee to waive the damage excess. The only time I have ever paid any extras and the only time I have ever reversed into a lamp-post!! Result...

I'd be severely tempted to take the waiver fee and then deliberately trash the car...maybe everyone should try this...if they can't take a joke...f*** 'em ;D

McM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back