• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape May - with a touch of Philadelphia (1 Viewer)

TwoDipsfromAmsterdam

Anything About?
Off to Philadelphia on 1st December, primarily a family visit to see dear daughter who has just got a job as a fashion designer with Anthropologie (something that will be lost on most birders (and me!), but also the hope of seeing a first Bald Eagle. Equipped with a copy of Clay & Pat Sutton’s book on Cape May I felt reasonably confident.

A Carrion Crow was CdG’s best offering flight-wise but on the 2nd we ventured into Phila City Centre, where there were the usual wonders such as House Sparrow, Starling and Herring Gull. I had taken a copy of Sibley’s American Birds but that’s a bit hefty so I bought (the only remaining copy of) Sibley’s Eastern Birds at Barnes & Noble on 18th Street and never could a field-guide have been in use so quickly. Within 5 minutes, on the junction of 16th and Walnut (in the heart of downtown), a woodpecker brought about the first use of the new acquisition. A Downy Woodpecker in the centre of town was a great start. Walking a couple of blocks then produced a Peregrine high over the centre before we visited the Liberty Bell and Independence Mall. Unfortunately President-elect Obama was in town for the annual meeting of State Governors so police blocks everywhere. Sarah Palin must have been in there somewhere but a Red-tailed Hawk over the city was a better substitute. A Northern Mockingbird back at our base (daughter’s apartment in Northern Liberties) was a nice end to the first day.

So, here’s the real stuff: a trip down to Cape May. Picked up the hire car at Phila Airport and drove to Cape May on 3rd. Defying awful US road signing, and picking up American Kestrel, Mourning Dove and Red-tailed Hawk en route, eventually arrived at Cape May Lighthouse around 10:30. (NB, never criticise French road signing again, it’s magic compared to the dumbos who sign American roads). At the hawk-watch, which has now been extended to mid-December, rather then finishing at the end of November, I met up with Seth Cutright, this years’ counter, A kettle of 30+Turkey Vultures also produced a couple of Cooper’s Hawks and a couple of Red-shouldered Hawks. Of the latter, great adults with bright orange fronts. A Sharp-shinned Hawk burst from the bushes to give comparisons with the Coops. On the ground, lots of noise from Carolina Wrens (later well seen). Then more kettles of raptors that included Black Vultures and disappearing Bald Eagles. Fortunately another kettle of raptors produced a beautiful adult Bald Eagle directly overhead. Bliss.

Now it was time to look at the waterfowl that were around the site; Gadwall, Great Blue Heron, Mallard and Green-winged Teal. Then off exploring Cape May. First, to the Concrete Ship on the Delaware Bayshore where there were Bonaparte’s Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Red-throated Diver, Fish Crow and Song Sparrow. Then to the Meadows that produced Northern Cardinal, Canada Geese, Tree Swallows (about 30), American Coot, Savannah Sparrow and Ruddy Duck, along with House Finch. Carolina Chickadee and American Wigeon showed well back at the Lighthouse as dusk gathered.

On the 4th I had thought to explore the wider Cape May area but south of the Canal seemed to have plenty more attractions still to explore. So it was back to the Lighthouse in a strong south-easterly wind. Sanderling and Ring-billed Gull at the Concrete Ship was a good start. Then it was back to the Lighthouse for a beautiful female Northern Harrier before I found an American Woodcock in the reedy Lighthouse area. I was lucky enough to meet up with a local NJ birder and between us we a found an Northern Flicker, Tundra Swan (flew over with black bill well seen), Blue Jay, American Robin, Hermit Thrush, Belted Kingfisher (what a cracker of a bird), Dark-eyed Junco, Downy Woodpecker, Hooded Merganser and Bufflehead. Finally a few Brent Geese were well seen in Cape May Harbour and again in Great Egg Harbour on the road back to Phila.

Overall, a fascinating trip. To a local, probably not a great time to go but for someone on a first serious Eastern birding trip this was excellent. My thanks go to those who suggested places to visit. But everyone should visit Cape May and go equipped with the Suttons’ book. Absolutely invaluable.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back