• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Campervans in NZ (1 Viewer)

Tiger1

Has anyone hired a camper van in NZ? We are planning a months holiday/birding in March 2015 and thought about hiring a camper. Some of the advertising for vans is very misleading, they say "from $40 a day" but when you get the final quote it is more like $130 a day for a basic van. At that rate it would be more economical to hire a small car and stay in hotels.
Any useful tips would be appreciated.

Alex

Has anyone hired a camper van in NZ? We are planning a months holiday/birding in March 2015 and thought about hiring a camper. Some of the advertising for vans is very misleading, they say "from $40 a day" but when you get the final quote it is more like $130 a day for a basic van. At that rate it would be more economical to hire a small car and stay in hotels.
Any useful tips would be appreciated. Alex

Did you know that Travellers Autobarn now operate in NZ? I've used them in Oz and found them excellent in their support. Try http://www.travellers-autobarn.co.nz.

By the way, is the 'Earl of Spencer' still serving English beer in Albany? Way back in 2001, they very kindly placed it on the mantelpiece of a roaring fire so we could 'Drink it warm, mate'!
MJB
PS Alex, from your flag, I would have thought that 'Wildcat' was more appropriate than 'Tiger'

Thanks MJB. Will have a look at Autobarn.
I may be wrong but having spent ages browsing NZ birding sites I am horrified at how commercial some of the sites are and the exorbitant entry fees to some areas. Oh well, we can always take a second mortgage!!!

I don't frequent The Earl of Spencer, its not my sort of pub but last time I was there--a few years ago--they sold Guinness.

'Tiger" is a nickname someone gave me many, many years ago and it popped into my memory --unusual at my age--when I joined the Forum

regards,

Alex

Booked a van with Campervan Republic. Arrive Auckland 17th Feb, Ferry to Picton 2nd March. Ex Christchurch 28th March.

Alex

Any useful tips would be appreciated.

Alex

You can buy very cheap second hand vehicles which get sold on by travellers when they leave. They are typically advertised for sale in hostels so perhaps not something you can sort out in advance though you can pick up a real bargain as departing travellers will often sell at any price!

I offered $300 on a car that went to someone else for $400 (15 yrs ago) but there are campervans too.

You can buy very cheap second hand vehicles which get sold on by travellers when they leave. They are typically advertised for sale in hostels so perhaps not something you can sort out in advance though you can pick up a real bargain as departing travellers will often sell at any price!

I offered $300 on a car that went to someone else for $400 (15 yrs ago) but there are campervans too.

I think this is by far the best option on a longer trip, but if (like the OP) you're only going for a month, you might not want to risk spending a week getting a good deal at the beginning, and a couple of weeks or more getting a good price at the end.

EDIT I see you've booked a van already, have a great trip :t:

Last edited:
Thank's everyone for the comments. Shopped around a bit but finally made the decision. Now comes the hard part--route planning. We have allowed two weeks on North Island and are now thinking we should have allowed a few more days there. We have four weeks on South Island so hopefully that will be long enough to do it some justice. At least enough time for a Bungy Jump but don't tell "Her indoors"

Alex

Now comes the hard part--route planning.

Alex

If you want any advice on sites or certain species etc, there's a few of us on BF that have been round NZ in the recent past, so might be worth asking for more detail if you like. Maybe PM Chlidonias too (friendly NZ BF'er) for up to date gen on some stuff. :t:

Thanks Larry.
Have more or less got the route planned and some of the bookings made. Pelagic trip, Tiritiri Matangi, Miranda, Kaikoura,Twizel, Stewart and Ulva all on the cards. Looks like a lot of miles!!

Alex

Thanks Larry. Have more or less got the route planned and some of the bookings made. Pelagic trip, Tiritiri Matangi, Miranda, Kaikoura,Twizel, Stewart and Ulva all on the cards. Looks like a lot of miles!! Alex

Many of these miles will take much longer than you anticipate, for lots of NZ roads have many twists and turns, especially on South Island. I'd advise factoring in 20% more time in your planning...
MJB

Thanks MJB. Have been well warned about the odd twisty road so have planned fairly short stretches between stops. The two longest trips are Christchurch to Greymouth and Invercargill to Dunedin.

Alex

Hi Alex,
I don't know what you are planning on doing for accommodation.
But thought you may not know that "freedom camping" is becoming quite unpopular with regional councils in many parts of NZ.
Many have by laws and quite steep fines if you get caught.
In my neck of the woods the Christchurch City Council is looking at bringing in by laws somewhere around March April.
As per a small group stuffing it up for the majority.
Your 2 longest trips are a breeze :)
But you will want to factor in time on the ChCh Gmouth one for a few hrs spent in the Arthurs Pass area.
Plenty of shortish bush walks in the area.
The Devils Punchbowl waterfall being a nice leg stretcher, a chance to see some nice scenery and do a bit of birding.
The same goes for Inv to Dn, the Catlins are well worth getting waylaid in.
This is NZ's main birding site.
http://www.birdingnz.net/forum/
Plenty of friendly Kiwi birders to give a help with bird spots.
Have a look in the general discussion area, several threads on traveling and birding here.

So what did you think of our bird Tiger

Thanks Larry.
Have more or less got the route planned and some of the bookings made. Pelagic trip, Tiritiri Matangi, Miranda, Kaikoura,Twizel, Stewart and Ulva all on the cards. Looks like a lot of miles!!

Alex

Hey Alex!

I think that you're probably home now after your NZ trip, but I'm keen to find out what you thought of our native Kiwi birds? Which was your favourite?

Cheers,

Jodi, ScopeUout
www.scopeuout.co.nz

Hi Jodi,
We managed to get 96 species but no Kiwi's or Keas. I think the highlight was getting wild Black Stilts--Adult & Juveniles. We had planned to do the Black Stilt in captivity organised tour but missed it. We then met a local who told us exactly where to go and there they were--magic.
Missed out on some endemics but enjoyed all the others-loved the Rifleman and the Robin on Ulva that perched on the wife's knee.

Other than dropping my camera the first week and having to buy a new one, it was a great trip.

regards,

Alex

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back