• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed to find the right destination (1 Viewer)

Next year I will be celebrating my 70th birthday and I'm looking to take a solo trip that will satisfy my interest in birds and other wildlife, especially moths. To date I have always spent my holidays with my wife and they have always been great holidays but also a comprise between me and a non-birding wife. This one will be for me, me, me!
I have been looking at variety of tropical destination including Costa Rica, Panama and Malaysia and whilst there is a ton of information about the birding, I'm finding it difficult to track down information about the other stuff. I no longer keep life lists so I'm not worried about seeing every endemic or difficult species the destination has to offer and I don't intend moving around between different lodges just to increase the length of the tick list. If the birding gets tough, I will simply turn to the other creatures the destination offers.
I guess my ideal destination would be an affordable lodge that is surrounded by rainforest; not too luxurious, but clean and comfortable with three meals a day on site. Plenty of good walking trails to explore and one that takes an interest in the lepidoptera and other fauna as well as the birds. I would love to experience the thrill of a white sheet covered in a myriad of moths and other insects such as those shown from Fraser's Hill.
It would be great if I could get a transfer from the airport to the accommodation without having to hire a car but that's not a showstopper since again a car might give some flexibility but might not be too economical for a solo traveller if it is really only needed for the outbound and inbound journey.
Do you have any experience of this type of holiday and any suggestions and tips please?

Last edited:
Many thanks Tehri, I'll check it out.

I must have been around fifteen years old when I discovered Henri Michaux, and his work, stories, poetry, drawings, explorations, has inspired me all my life.... I always told myself through his book "Ecuador - travel story", that I should go and dream in this country.
But my 'playground' was largely immersed in the Himalayas and its culture... and it was only recently, here, hearing about this "Yellow house" and Ecuador that it really rekindled this desire to travel there... and this place seems to me a good (and affordable) place to land !! 😉

Last edited:
Thanks Tehri, the Yellow House looks really good. It doesn't seem to to do full board but appears to be only a short walk into Mindo where there seems to be plenty of restaurants.

Thanks Tehri, the Yellow House looks really good. It doesn't seem to to do full board but appears to be only a short walk into Mindo where there seems to be plenty of restaurants.
Yes, this place and what I have read and seen, etc, really makes me want a quiet sylvan stay lulled by lots of birds and wonderful views. Oh yes, I hadn't noted this request that you had !... A kitchen is available, but after reading several comments, it's just 5 -10 minutes walk from Mindo village, as you said, with some decent places to eat, and this should not be a problem at all.
But I'm sure others here will give you other ideas.
;)

Can't recommend Steven's Place enough at Frasers Hill in Malaysia, got everything you're looking for!
Thanks Dave, have you been and did you hire a car or use some other means of getting there from the airport? Not sure if I need transport once there or just to and from the airport.

Thanks Dave, have you been and did you hire a car or use some other means of getting there from the airport? Not sure if I need transport once there or just to and from the airport.
I've been several times in the last 10 years or so, I love it there! I always hire a car at the airport & drive thete, a car isn't essential once it's there but it's really handy for getting to the further away trails or popping down to the gap

Steven's Place is basically a bed & breakfast (plus evening meal if you want it) that is in a stunning spot, don't expect guiding or anything like that, you can still do pretty much what you want at frasers Hill

I've been several times in the last 10 years or so, I love it there! I always hire a car at the airport & drive thete, a car isn't essential once it's there but it's really handy for getting to the further away trails or popping down to the gap

Steven's Place is basically a bed & breakfast (plus evening meal if you want it) that is in a stunning spot, don't expect guiding or anything like that, you can still do pretty much what you want at frasers Hill
Many thanks, plenty to think about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back