• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boots In The Algarve – 04 Oct To 17oct 2010 (2 Viewers)

Boots In The Algarve – 04 Oct To 17oct 2010

Re : Sightings report
Please accept my apology for the inclusion of greater black backed gull (Alvor), which was an error on my part.With regard to the reference to crows at the same site, please check out my picture of the osprey above, which appeared to be harassed by crows, on other occasions they also mobbed a booted eagle and common buzzard - if these were raven, which may be a possibility - I stand corrected.
Butterflies :
Butterflies seen included :
Wall brown
Monarch (QDL)
Swallowtail
Clouded yellow
Common blue
Speckled wood
Red admiral
Painted lady
Small white
also a silver streaked hawk moth flew onto a light on our patio one night

Attachments

• z insects 1z Hawk Moth Silver striped ESPICHE 1610101.jpg
    z insects 1z Hawk Moth Silver striped ESPICHE 1610101.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 79
  • z insects 1x Swallowtail 1 Cape St Vincent 1410101.jpg
    z insects 1x Swallowtail 1 Cape St Vincent 1410101.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 69
  • z insects 1Z Butterflies Blue QDL 0910101.jpg
    z insects 1Z Butterflies Blue QDL 0910101.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 76
  • z insects 1Z Butterflies Wall Luz 1310101.jpg
    z insects 1Z Butterflies Wall Luz 1310101.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 94
  • z insects 1z Bug Silves 1210101.jpg
    z insects 1z Bug Silves 1210101.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 88
Boots In The Algarve – 04 Oct To 17oct 2010

Some site photos are attached below.
I should add that we skipped on Castro Marim and Castro Verde on account of the long journey and the fact that we have never experienced anything but distant views of a small number of species, over several visits in the past.
Thanks to anyone who took the time out to read this.
Mick & Tina Sveikutis
Cheers
B :)

Attachments

• z Scenes 1z Horta da Avozinha nr Espiche k7golf@netscape.net1.jpg
    z Scenes 1z Horta da Avozinha nr Espiche [email protected]
    191.1 KB · Views: 83
  • z Scenes 1z View from Foia 1010101.jpg
    z Scenes 1z View from Foia 1010101.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 87
  • z Scenes 1z Pera Beach Hut Flooded area 0810101.jpg
    z Scenes 1z Pera Beach Hut Flooded area 0810101.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 81
  • z Scenes 1z Silves 3 1210101.jpg
    z Scenes 1z Silves 3 1210101.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 79
  • z Scenes 1z Cape St.Vincent Lighthouse 1110101.jpg
    z Scenes 1z Cape St.Vincent Lighthouse 1110101.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I have enjoyed reading the additional posts of your report Mick!

I saw a few fleeting views of the Black-headed Weaver at Quinta Do Lago, a bit like a Kingfisher aren't they blink and you miss them! I was told that they/it are escapees! I was also told by another person that someone breeds them locally, whatever, they are a super looking bird!

I must mention that as we drove away from the car park at Alvor Estuary we saw what we thought were 3 Carrion Crows flying in the distance. We commented that they were the first we had seen in the Algarve, maybe they were Ravens? Difficult to get your bins on a distant bird from a moving car and they didn't hang around for us to check them out!
Also worth a mention are the 3 Common Magpie pica pica seen at Pera Marsh, they were all perched in one tree! I have only seen a single one on previous holidays over the last couple of years.

You have a great species list Mick! The Algarve never fails to please birdwise does it!

Thanks for sharing your super photo's and birding highlights!

When I was there at the beginning of this month I saw both ravens and carrion crows (at Castro Verde and at Cabo de São Vicente.).Also black-billed magpies in several locations in reasonable numbers - certainly more than I saw in the same week last year, when I only came across a handful.

Other corvids on the trip were Jackdaw, Chough (rather less than Mick saw, only a couple), Jay and of course Azure -winged Magpies all over the place.

Attachments

• IMG_8827 copy.jpg
    IMG_8827 copy.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 100
  • Raven (4) copy.jpg
    Raven (4) copy.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back