• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

blackbird trapped in asda superstore. (1 Viewer)

coal tit

COAL TIT
yesterday when shopping in my local asda i was moveing between the aisles
when i noticed or i thought i noticed a small dark movement passing over
head it was the second time i witnessed this that i knew i was not imagineing
it along with other movements to follow up not long after, it was just a dark flash each time, from here i went to some staff working on the shelves and they
explained to me that it was a cock blackbird that had been trapped in the
store for around a week and arrangements had been made for some one to
catch the bird, i wonder where the blackbird had been getting his food and
water from during this time the store has been there for 30 years now and in
that time i have never known or witnessed a bird in the store i would imagine
with so much store space he will hard to catch, as anyone else witnessed
similar events.

I wouldn't be so happy for it. The usual way of 'catching' supermarket birds (Robins, Starlings, House Sparrows and Blackbirds are most common, entering through the warehouse bays) is with an air rifle. The stores are under strict health & safety regulations to deal with 'contamination' problems quickly (they often come down to feed and poo on the fresh fruit). Trapping them alive is usually not practical - takes too long and is too difficult. Shooting is virtually guaranteed on a single visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back