• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Cairns - My Cassowary House Adventure (3 Viewers)

great thread. I doubt anyone will believe me, but I didn't see the cassowaries at Cassowary House (although why I'd make that up I'm not sure -- a birder not being able to find a six foot tall bird is like going to the elephant house at the zoo and not being able to see an elephant). However as unlikely as it may be, they simply refused to turn up when I was there. I'm not entirely sure they even really exist. I doubt they're even that spectacular a bird anyway.

shouldn't that be "five for the price of one"?

Blimey, you were unlucky! And yes, now that I look closely you can see a fifth image, but surely that one's a UTV so unlistabe!

Monday 13th December
Cassowary House – Cairns Esplanade

After the excitement of the previous day, today was a quiet affair with birding limited to around Cassowary House and a short jaunt down to Cairns. In fact arguably the most interesting sight of the morning were the Japanese contingent (who stayed for the night) avidly photographing the breakfast! OK Sue puts on a fine spread, but their enthusiasm for recording it for posterity still seemed a little peculiar. Naturally, I had to photograph them photographing breakfast which probably makes me even worse! I did manage, though, with my new found expertise, to show the visitors Grey Goshawk and a few other birds.

Since the visit to Cairns was a shopping trip, I was dropped off near the mangroves at the far end of the esplanade for a third, solo, attempt to see that damn’d robin. I was already preparing my excuse - the denseness of the cover - as I ambled towards the mangroves without much confidence of success. As before, I could hear both the robin and Collared Kingfisher calling as I approach the mangroves. Then, there just inside the tangle of branches, having tantalised me enough, sat the Mangrove Robin. As if to highlight our previous ill luck, a second bird was feeding out in the open! A bird with a certain charm it resembled nothing less than a overweight monochrome female Redstart! Even the Collared Kingfisher got into the act by showing well albeit through the lattice work of the braches. Also performing creditably were White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike, Willie Wagtail and Brown Honeyeater. The latter behaved very well indeed allowing me to get some reasonably good photos. I never did solve the question of why they’re called ‘brown’ though. Being greenish-olive birds, they’re no more brown than several other honeyeaters and a good deal less so than some! No wonder I hadn’t realised this was the species I’d mistaken for Varied previously! Not a day for a big list, but a very satisfactory one for having laid the jinx of the Mangrove Robin to rest … and doing so myself.

Attachments

• Mangrove Robin.JPG
    Mangrove Robin.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 69
  • Brown Honeyeater.JPG
    Brown Honeyeater.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Collared Kingfisher.jpg
    Collared Kingfisher.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 69
  • W-b Cuckoo-shrike.jpg
    W-b Cuckoo-shrike.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 73
Just in case you weren't envious enough here's a photo of breakfast ..... and that's before the toast & jam, buns, scones etc appeared! The 'soft focus' look wasn't an attempt to do a 'David Bailey' but the lens being misted as always morning. With me speaking only a single phrase of Japanese and the guests speaking only a little more English, communication was problematic, but they were clearly a really nice bunch of folks.

Tuesday will follow shortly,

Attachments

• Breakfast 4.JPG
    Breakfast 4.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Breakfast 3.JPG
    Breakfast 3.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 113
Tuesday 14th December
Cassowary House – Mareeba Wetlands

My walk around Cassowary House and the nearby Black Mountain Road proved to be an excellent start to an excellent day’s birding. Along with all the now familiar species I at last managed to see a Cicadabird albeit somewhat indifferent flight views. The main course for today was a trip to Mareeba Wetlands (www.mareebawetlands.org) which, I later decided was one of my favourite sites of the whole trip. Stopping en route at a stockyard for this very purpose we got good flight views of Channel-billed Cuckoo. Despite being only about 45 minutes from Cassowary House (it’s about 7km north of Mareeba) the habitat surrounding the Wetlands Centre – open dry eucalypt woodland (complete with termite mounds) – was very different as were the birds. The centrepiece of this fabulous reserve, though, were a couple of large lakes and a first rate visitors’ centre. (Note – this reserve is closed during the wet season when the tracks become impassable so check before you go).

As we drove into the reserve along a good dirt track I got the first of several lifers at the reserve – a White-faced Heron. This was an attractive bird with which to close my tally of new herons, but it’s a pity that a few other likely, if elusive, candidates (e.g. White-necked Heron and Nankeen Night Heron) failed to materialise. Perhaps fuelled by my lacklustre attempts to see them in Spain, one group I’d been convinced also wouldn’t materialise were bustards. So when Phil pulled over by a weedy field and suggested I scan for Australian Bustard I wasn’t hopeful. I found one on my first scan – this man obviously knew where to look! After getting excellent views of the stately male, a female popped its head up just to demonstrate how easily such a large bird can disappear.

By the time we visited the superb visitors’ centre it was growing hot and a careful scrutiny of the attractive large lagoon “only” produced Australian Darter, Green Pygmy Goose and Comb-crested Jacana. Left to my own devices, given my dislike of extreme heat, I might not have opted for the long walk to another lagoon, but Phil knew better. Not far along the track we got my third lifer of the day – a subtly attractive Lemon-bellied Flycatcher. Plunging further into the reserve on foot, we stopped where we’d been advised and Phil quickly picked up the call of Black-throated Finch. With similar skill he promptly located this symphony in pastels – peach, buff and blue-grey – set off by a judicious amount of black and white. Great bird! As we watched these lovely little birds, a series of loud squeaks and trills (again instantly identified by Phil) attracted our attention to a feeding party of Varied Sittella, noisy and maniacally active birds. In the same thicket lurked yet another lifer (inevitably picked up and ID’d by call by Phil) – a Brown Treecreeper. Making our final approach to the lagoon through dry open woodland, we topped a slight ridge when a button-quail flushed from the ground. Despite getting flight views only, on habitat and size Phil thought it was probably a Buff-breasted Button-quail for which this is a key site. Meandering down the slope, thankful for the shade, we reached a primitive hide and the second lagoon. Unlike the first this one really “did the business” with my first wild Black Swan (yes, I suppressed a yawn), Australian Pelicans, Royal Spoonbill and, distantly, my second ever species of crane, Brolgas. Well pleased with the day’s haul I didn’t expect more lifers on the way back, but Phil pulled first Weebill and then Grey-crowned Babbler ‘out of the bag’. Australia’s smallest bird, the Weebill was a tiny Goldcrest sized bird with a stout, stubby bill which made for what it lacked in size (and colour) by its lively character. The babbler had a restrained “gentleman’s gentleman” colouration – all greys and whites – but carried it off with great panache.

On our way out we stopped in the hope of a Australian Owlet-nightjar which a friend had seen here previously and to search for Apostlebird. Our disappointment at seeing neither of the birds was alleviated somewhat by a party of Grey-crowned Babblers, a Collared Sparrowhawk and, most intriguing of all, a couple more button-quail. These lifted out of much wetter habitat and looked somewhat smaller than the first so Phil was of the opinion that they were Red-backed Button-quail. Brilliant as this was, with zero experience of the group myself, I still remain uncertain as to whether I can tick one, both or neither! Further along the track a Pale-headed Rosella zoomed across the trail, kites (Whistling and Black) drifted over and then a Dollarbird sunning itself in the road held up progress. A non-descript bird nipping over the road was scarcely, I thought, worth a second look as it seemed no more than a dull looking female Figbird. Happily, Phil knew better and rightly called it as a Great Bowerbird. Although it was only after getting good scope views of the bird in a tree that I felt justified in ticking it! Perhaps the least interesting looking of the group, it was still a good find since it meant I’d go home with at least one of this family. Here too I saw the most problematic bird of the whole trip; problematic not because the ID was difficult or the taxonomic status in dispute, but simply a matter of whether or not it was legitimate to tick it. Helmeted Guineafowl, a small covey of which were the innocent cause of my dilemma, are evidently now on the Australian list and the population here is as well established as anywhere. If I tick the similarly introduced Common Myna (which I have) why not these birds?

A memorable day birding with a supporting cast too long to mention. Only the day before yesterday I had I decided that the trip to Daintree ranked as my best ever day birding, but here was another strong contender. Simply brilliant! Huge thanks go to Phil without whom, once again, I’d have seen a fraction of the birds and identified fewer. With some very good accommodation on site, Mareeba Wetlands would make a fantastic base for a couple of days.

Attachments

• W-f Heron.jpg
    W-f Heron.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Aus Bustard.JPG
    Aus Bustard.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Aus Darter.jpg
    Aus Darter.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Lemon-bellied Flycatcher.JPG
    Lemon-bellied Flycatcher.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Black-throated Finch.JPG
    Black-throated Finch.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 73
The beautiful visitors' centre at Meereba not only had very accommodating Welcome Swallows, but more importantly ice-cold drinks, food etc. The veranda was a great place to sit around, but I wasn't allowed to do so as birds were to be found! I was absurdly thrilled to see the woods dotted with termite mounds as we drive in - a travel documentary come to life. Phil did well to get photos of the hyperactive sittellas, but had he been seconds quicker with the Dollarbird then he'd have got a geat shot of it sunning itself!

Attachments

• Welcome Swallow.JPG
    Welcome Swallow.JPG
    334.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Mareeba Wetland.JPG
    Mareeba Wetland.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 75
  • PAG - Varied Sittella.jpg
    PAG - Varied Sittella.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Termite mound.JPG
    Termite mound.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 66
  • PAG - Dollarbird in road.jpg
    PAG - Dollarbird in road.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 83
Mareeba Wetlands is a favourite place of mine and as good a place as any to look for dry country birds near Cairns as it can be very productive.

Interesting that Phil called the first Button Quails flushed as BB Button Quail. I asked Phil about their supposed occurrence in the area and he was very sceptical about many records of the birds as he reckons they're a great deal rarer than many people think. Maybe he's discovered a population at Mareeba Wetlands since our chat.

Mareeba Wetlands is a favourite place of mine and as good a place as any to look for dry country birds near Cairns as it can be very productive.

Interesting that Phil called the first Button Quails flushed as BB Button Quail. I asked Phil about their supposed occurrence in the area and he was very sceptical about many records of the birds as he reckons they're a great deal rarer than many people think. Maybe he's discovered a population at Mareeba Wetlands since our chat.

I can't speak for Phil, obviously, but being sceptical about many of the records, isn't the same as saying that they're not there! I didn't quiz him too closely about the ins and outs of the situation, but he certainly seemed to accept that this site was one of the better places to look for this rare bird. He certainly opined that I'd been jammy once again!

Wednesday 15th December
Cassowary House – Great Barrier Reef (Michaelmas Cay & Hastings Reef) - Cairns Esplanade – Centenary Park (Cairns)

The morning’s amble, around Cassowary House, my regular start to the day’s birding netted another ‘heard only’ - fortunately of a Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher. They’re present here but not so easy to see as at Phil’s site we visited earlier in my trip.

Today, though, with Phil being tied up with a necessary car repair, was to be a solo effort out on the Great Barrier Reef. Sue kindly organised for me to go with Sea Star Cruises (www.seastarcruises.com.au) which meant we’d be the first to arrive at Michaelmas Cay – a terrific island ternery. My first four lifers came before reaching the tiny atoll with first Brown Booby, then a Bridled Tern closely followed by Brown Noddy and Sooty Tern. As we dropped anchor I saw still more terns and Brown Booby – amongst the latter were a handful of Red-footed Booby. This, I was later surprised to find, was one of the few regular Australian species Phil hadn’t seen. Evidently with Oz ticks becoming harder to get, this was one species that Phil was saving until he was desperate! Also drifting around were some Great Frigatebird – one of a group of birds I’d always hankered to see (all of the handful of frigatebirds present seemed to reluctant to fly and of those that did, none were of the expected Lesser variety).

Eschewing all attempts to get me into a wetsuit and underwater (I can swim about as far as any pool is deep), the captain, being aware of a birder’s idiosyncrasies, made sure I was on the first rubber dinghy ashore. A short paddle later I was ashore welcomed by a cacophonous greeting from the terns. What an amazing experience – my first ever to a ternery of any description – it was too. The beach was choc-a-block with Noddies and Sooty Terns interspersed with the odd ‘Greater’ and Lesser Crested Terns. Less obvious, but a lifer none the less, were the Black-naped Terns fishing off the reef. (Bridled Tern, though, surprised me by their absence – about par for the course I later discovered). One possible ID remains to be resolved – I’d seen several dark, but fairly distant, noddies amongst the throng and had taken optimistic photos in their direction. Once I find one of the suspected birds amongst so many of its close cousins, I might be able to decide if I really saw Black Noddy.

Happily taking photos and seeing lifers, I’d forgotten Sue’s last words to me “Don’t forget to put sun block on your feet!” I remembered the sun block well enough, I just forgot to slip it into my pocket when we I left the Sea Star on the small dinghy. Hence in short measure my feet both looked, and I guessed, felt like lobster thermidor! When the crowds arrived, the captain came over to take us off the reef, but first took me on a quick circuit of the island. Unfortunately the tide meant we had to stand off a good distance from shore but I got more views f the terns and a good look at a white Pacific Reef Heron but there was no sign of the Masked Booby that had been seen a few days earlier (I suspect had Phil been there we might have seen it!). We then proceeded to Hastings Reef where we saw fewer of the same birds, but more two Bridled Tern. Next time I might just try scuba diving, unless, of course I opt for Green Island (it has more ticks!)

Back onshore, I again saw many of the expected waders along the esplanade before Phil and Sue arrived to collect me (somehow, though, we’d missed one another for half an hour) which had the consequence of limiting our time for birding around Cairns on our way back to Kuranda. Our birding stop was Centenary Park where I’d previously ticked Magpie Goose (and which was again present and looking peculiar perched atop an large tree). Here we had two targets. Taking pity on my anxiety over missing Papuan Frogmouth at Kingfisher Park a few days previously, Phil decided to visit a regular roost site along the saltwater creek here. This time the birds performed brilliantly. Unexpectedly large birds, they were dead ringers for a dead branch until you found yourself glowered at by a beady, scarlet eye! With a wide ‘grin’ and staring, large eyes beneath beetling brows these birds looked at once comic and oddly sinister. Absolutely marvellous birds. As far as I was concerned from here on it didn’t matter too much what I saw as I’d finally connected with a frogmouth! Naturally, Phil was less inclined to let me rest on his laurels and promptly steered me round to the nearby mangroves and, hopefully, Lovely Fairy-wren. And a hope they remained with only the briefest of calls to confirm their presence but, skulking in dense cover, denied me even the briefest of sightings. Despite the last minute disappointment this had been another tremendous day. In terms of ‘species seen’ this day out on the reef comes well down the table, but, as my first visit to an active ternery, it comes high in the pantheon of ‘great days in the field’. Seeing the frogmouth was the icing on an already wonderfully rich cake,

Attachments

• Brown Booby 1.JPG
    Brown Booby 1.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Booby boat.JPG
    Booby boat.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Noddy 5a - Copy.JPG
    Noddy 5a - Copy.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Terns & Reef Heron.JPG
    Terns & Reef Heron.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 80
Thursday 16th December
Cassowary House – Black Mountain Road

Another quiet day at Cassowary House - prabably my quietest yet although not one without a lifer. So there was a little birding mixed with me hobbling about, lobster-footed, helping Phil with a couple of chores about the place. If you’re reading this as a potential client, I’d better add that helping out was a special dispensation granted to me as an old friend who wanted to do a little to justify his presence. Besides, we chaps enjoy chopping down trees and such! Actually, the This did have the advantage of netting me my second sighting of Red-necked Crake , watching some of the resident species (remember those Cassowaries?) more closely. One thing I did discover during my stay was that Cassowaries are insatiably curious and it wasn’t unusual to find the chicks or ‘dad’ having a good look to see what we were doing! We also heard both Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher and Noisy Pitta calling in the woodland around the house.

A foray along Black Mountain Road for the birds missed on Saturday produced a cute little Spotted Pardelot (need I mention that this was picked up by Phil on its call?), but no fairy-wrens. Once more the pardelot demonstrated the impossibility of gauging the attractiveness of a bird from illustrations. The small size and perky nature of the bird, not to mention its vibrant colours, made a great impression. It was also good to have my earlier sighting of Grey Whistler confirmed by Phil. Later that day saw the arrival of two very pleasant guests, Herb and Bobbie Hodson from the USA, with whom Phil and I were going to have a day birding on the following day. This was to provide what was, arguably, the sighting of the whole trip to Australia .....

Later that day saw the arrival of two very pleasant guests, Herb and Bobbie Hodson from the USA, with whom Phil and I were going to have a day birding on the following day. This was to provide what was, arguably, the sighting of the whole trip to Australia .....

Have enjoyed reading your report, the excitement of seeing new birds and exploring new places. Some great photos too.

Regarding the people taking photos of the breakfast, a few years ago when I visited Crete and was on a coach trip to Samaria Gorge, a group of Danish tourists were videoing the road ahead from the bus and later their half drunk beer at a picnic site!

Waiting in anticipation of your sighting of the trip!

Gi

Regarding the people taking photos of the breakfast, a few years ago when I visited Crete and was on a coach trip to Samaria Gorge, a group of Danish tourists were videoing the road ahead from the bus and later their half drunk beer at a picnic site!

Waiting in anticipation of your sighting of the trip!

Gi

What John didn't say was that, a split second before taking the photograph, there was a victoria's riflebird or a macleay's honeyeater on the breakfast table.

Like Mysticete I thought that we should give suggestions as to what the sighting of the trip was. At first I thought that John has seen a grey falcon, but given his luck, I mean skill (just jealous, mate!), I thought that was too common. You saw a night parrot, didn't you?

Allen

Thylacine? Night Parrot? Paradise Parrot? Guys, keep a sense of proportion ..... I was lucky, but not THAT lucky! Service about to be resumed, but first some more photos of odd birds that I left out earlier .....

Attachments

• Frigatebird.JPG
    Frigatebird.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 72
  • Arboreal Magpie Goose.JPG
    Arboreal Magpie Goose.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 71
  • PAG - Whipbird.jpg
    PAG - Whipbird.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 76
  • White-cheeked Honeyeater.jpg
    White-cheeked Honeyeater.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 79
Friday 17th December
Cassowary House – Black Mountain Road - Mareeba cemetery - Granite Gorge – Hastie’s Swamp - Lake Tinaroo - Lake Barrine - Curtain Fig - Tarzali Lakes

This mornings’ perambulatory birding was enlivened by the presence of Bobbie and Herb and, later, Phil himself. It’s no coincidence then that today, along with all the expected birds we managed my first good view of Cicadabird , another sighting of Australian King Parrot and confirmation my previous sighting of Pied Monarch. After my regular solo searching for another sighting of the latter, Phil promptly found one, almost to the branch, where I’d had my previous ‘possible’.

Off out after breakfast, our first, somewhat macabre, destination was Mareeba cemetery – a known site for both Blue-faced Honeyeater (which I’d yet to see well) and Apostlebird (which I, and more to the point Phil’s clients, hadn’t seen at all). The large flamboyant honeyeaters, arguably my favourite of this diverse group seemingly linked only by a common vernacular name, showed well. With several young birds present they were more “greeny-faced” than blue faced honeyeaters! Surprisingly, for a bird that usually appears in groups of a dozen or so (hence its name), we found just one Apostlebird; naturally Phil dubbed it the Judas Iscariot-bird! This species was a great contrast to the honeyeaters with its subdued mottled greyish colouring. Who could have imagined that several millennia of evolution could have so precisely anticipated the exact colour of the cinder path on which it stood?

From here we headed for Granite Gorge (c12km SW of Mareeba see www.granitegorge.com.au) – a wonderful little site and, in all probability, the easiest place on the planet to see Mareeba Rock Wallaby. However, although not listable, the prize for the cutest animal of the day went to the baby Ring-tailed Possum which the owner of the site, a wildlife carer, was nursing. As we exited the small reception area Phil asked after two species found here. Scarcely had he asked when the first, Squatter Pigeon, appeared more or less at our feet! The other species, Tawny Frogmoth, required a little more effort and several minutes of fruitless searching ensued. As we looked, on my prompting, Phil explained that they were much smaller birds than Papuan. But before he’d finished, I interrupted him with the words “I think they must be about the size of those two birds in the tree behind you!” and there they sat two distinguished looking Tawny Frogmouths. Whilst the Papuan Frogbirds had a kind of gloomy magnificence, these two had greater charm and a kind of Edwardian gravitas that just stopped them being ‘cute’ (well, almost!). With my cup now distinctly overflowing, before we left we had two of my favourite honeyeaters, White-naped and Yellow, plus another Pale-headed Rosella.

However, this was no time for resting on laurels so it was off to Hastie’s Swamp for more birds. A long narrow lake overlooked by an excellent tower hide this place encouraged an air of expectation – and we didn’t have long to wait for this feeling to be justified. The first lifer out of the stocks was Cotton Pygmy-goose; a striking little bird in repose made still more striking in flight by virtue of its bold white wing bar contrasting nicely with the striking emerald green of its back and wing coverts. An obliging Sacred Kingfisher did its best to distract us from the blossoming trees, but concealed within the latter’s branches were White-cheeked and Scarlet Honeyeater. If the first was a fabulous little bird then the second, a resplendent adult male, totally blew me away. With a fine curved bill, immaculate bright red body, black wings and tail, its plumage closely matched that of Scarlet Tanager! Also present was a calling Bridled Honeyeater whilst Phil glimpsed a probable Yellow-faced. Although it could scarcely compete a (Australian) Purple Swamphen showed very well here too. As we left, more in hope than in any realistic expectation, I carefully monitored the trees on the far side of the water for any sign of White-bellied Sea-eagle, a bird conspicuous by its continued absence. Naturally, since we were on something of a roll, one promptly appeared. This wasn’t a long visit, but, goodness, it was a quality one!

The next location to be visited was an arm of Lake Tinaroo in the hope of a few waterbirds. The brief stop netted Coot (‘our’ version, but given its isolation perhaps not beyond being split), Wandering Whistling Ducks and a very obliging Australian Pipit. Once again, though, the star bird here was delivered up by Phil’s knowledge of local bird song – a White-throated Gerygone. A sweet songster, confusingly this bird’s most obvious character was its brilliant yellow underparts. By now it was time for lunch so we stopped at the excellent Whistle Stop Café in Yungaburra (which was by far the most attractive little settlement I’d seen in Oz and worth a quick stop).

Continuing on we headed for Lake Barrine, a beautiful crater lake nearby. Somewhat implausibly, to a British observer that is, this is home to a colony of Great-crested Grebe. One of the stars here, though, was a tree, or rather two, the massive 1,000+ year old Black Kauri (Agathis atropurpurea) a species of conifer found only in Queensland. As we returned to the car we found some honeyeaters – the quietly handsome if understated – Dusky Honeyeaters feeding in a small flowering tree, but, hold on, what was that spectacular bird feeding with them? That I failed to ID them instantly I put down the deafening sound of my brain shouting ‘Hells bells what’s that fantastic wee beastie?’ The ‘wee beastie’ was, it transpired, an Eastern Spinebill. I hadn’t appreciated that this stunning little ‘bobby-dazzler’ was ‘on the cards’ and Phil had neglected to tell me that this was a good site for them. Like a magician producing a rabbit from the hat, Phil liked to surprise me with the odd bird, but sometimes it would have been good to know even at risk of being disappointed! Then it was off to see the extraordinary Curtain Fig which was not far away. First, though some birding – Black-faced and Pied Monarch (again!), Golden Whistler, Grey-headed Robin and a Little Bronze-Cuckoo. At this point I ought to confess that the bronze-cuckoos had me confused – we’d had both of what seemed to be Little and Gould’s, but Phil was firmly of the opinion that they were conspecific.

Our final stop was Tarzali Lakes Aquaculture Centre (www.tarzalilakes.com) near Malanda where, on Sue’s instructions, Phil was to pick up some home cured bacon (or was it ham. Phil?). As we turned into the place with his trademark studied insouciance Phil commented that this was where we’d get Duck-billed Platypus …. oh yeah and the rest, Phil. It was with great confidence, though, that Phil led us over towards a more distant pool where, within a few minutes, we had indeed seen a Duck-billed Platypus! Although at first distant, I eventually got excellent views of this bizarre animal. I’d had firm instructions from my daughter when I left home that I mustn’t return without seeing one and here it was! Blessed with a more expressive pen than I possess I could write paragraphs about this extraordinary animal and what seeing one meant to me. Not being so blessed, I can only repeat that I really had seen an egg laying, poison spurred duck-billed relict of evolutionary history. Utterly amazing and something I have dreamt of seeing since early childhood! Even if they proved easier to see than I’d ever imagined and despite my birding blinkers, this was the lifer of the trip.

As we watched the platypus, the owner of the place, a friend of Phil’s naturally, came over for a chat. A large, bluff bloke (and only ‘bloke’ fits here), he spoke fondly and authoritatively about ‘his’ platypuses. This was no surprise, but to hear him, a fish farmer, wax so lyrical about White-bellied Sea-Eagle (one of which had just flown over) was as refreshing as it was unexpected. This was another terrific place and certainly an un-missable destination if you visit the area. As we walked happily back to the car (despite the drizzle) a group of Fairy Martins came over amongst which were a Tree Martin or two – another lifer. By now I knew that that Phil’s encyclopaedic birding brain never shuts down so I was hardly surprised when he picked up a singing Tawny Grassbird as we pulled out of the centre’s drive. I was pleased, though, that it was me that spotted the two birds, large long tailed birds like a cisticola on steroids, on the opposite fencepost.

It was skill, rather than pride, that gave Phil the last word. Driving home en route to Kuranda, he spotted two large birds distantly winging their way across the fields to roost. We stopped and, although getting a clear enough view, the duo had me totally perplexed. Very large long tailed and long winged birds with a deep wing beats I couldn’t place them in a family let alone a species. No puzzle to Phil, he promptly identified them as Red-tailed Cockatoos (birds he’d previously suggested we’d see in the area). My confusion partly stemmed from the fact that I’d never realised that these parrots were as big as a medium sized eagle. So ended a third contender for my best ever day in the field although this time the accolade rested more on an almost mythical mammal – Duck-billed Platypus - than any of the birds no matter how good! It was greatly helped too by the excellent company provided by Herb and Bobbie.

Attachments

• Platypus.JPG
    Platypus.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Apostlebird.JPG
    Apostlebird.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 88
  • B-c Honeyeater (juv).JPG
    B-c Honeyeater (juv).JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Ring-tailed Possum (young).JPG
    Ring-tailed Possum (young).JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Tawny Frogmouth.JPG
    Tawny Frogmouth.JPG
    355 KB · Views: 100
More photos .....

Attachments

• Mareeba Rock Wallaby.JPG
    Mareeba Rock Wallaby.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 86
  • White-naped Honeyeater.JPG
    White-naped Honeyeater.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Squatter Pigeons.JPG
    Squatter Pigeons.JPG
    321.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Australian Pipit.JPG
    Australian Pipit.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Granite Gorge.JPG
    Granite Gorge.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 78
Weirwood by any chance? I was there too, after a mad dash from Hampshire that (as it turned out) began even after the bird had left. Good that you've caught up with one after all this time.

And thanks for taking the trouble to post the account of your trip. A most enjoyable read it is.

James

Mad dash? How dare you! And posting the calumny on my birthday, too!

John

What an amazing couple of days - the platypus is an absolute stunner and I've long wanted to see a frogmouth . . . . Keep it coming John!

Cheers
Mike

Grrrrrrrr....bloody oribble things!! ;). Great report John.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back