• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding books (1 Viewer)

Frost1976

Hi, I've just booked up my first ever trip to South Africa (Kruger) - and then Mozambique for this September/October.

We'll be safari-ing, walking and beaching, but of course I'll be birding. As this is a completely new part of the world for me, could anyone recommend a good field guide for me. I want something that's going to be light and accessible enough to use while walking around, but detailed enough to give me the chance to swot up beforehand.

Grateful for any advice.

The Sasol/Princeton guide written by Sinclair is the clear choice.

You will also need a mammal guide, I take it? There is a photo guide for Southern
Africa that is great

Niels

I used the Sasol guide as well on my recent trip and liked it very much. I also got the iphone version of the guide, which was quite useful for sound reference and listing my sightings.

Peter

Two good mammal guides are:

Apps P (2000) Smither's Mammals of Southern Africa. Struik Publishers, Cape Town.

Kingdon J (2003) The Kingdon Field Guide to African Mammals. Christopher Helm, London.

The Smither's guide is probably better for you as it only covers southern Africa making it easier to use.

Both books have illustrations as opposed to photos which personally I prefer.

The SASOL would be my choice for birds also.

Re mammals, I am now at home with the books: we brought both the Kingdon guide and a guide by Chris and Tilde Stuart. The second one has mostly photos and got much more usage on the trip, simply because it was better.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back