• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID - Worcester, Massachusetts, USA (1 Viewer)

YellowBudgie

Hi All,

The photos are from 3 weeks back, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA

I heard this birds nice song and when I spotted it, man was it fast, hopping from branch to branch in a bush it seemed to like (I included a photo)

I've been trying to ID this bird with a few books. Could this be a immature Yellow Warbler this time of year?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Bird 001.jpg
    Bird 001.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Bird 002.jpg
    Bird 002.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Bird 003.jpg
    Bird 003.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Bird 004.jpg
    Bird 004.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Bush.jpg
    Bush.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 87
Yes kinglet. You should only get two or three kinds of warbler anymore this late. Another small bird that confuses people this time of year is drab winter Goldfinches, but they have an obvious finch beak, so with the pointy bill it can only be kinglet.

Kinglet it is, awesome shots by the way. The green on its wings is a good field mark, but don't only go by one marking alone ;)

-Matt

Yes kinglet. You should only get two or three kinds of warbler anymore this late. Another small bird that confuses people this time of year is drab winter Goldfinches, but they have an obvious finch beak, so with the pointy bill it can only be kinglet.

If I only saw the tail I would have thought a Goldfinch on 10 cups of coffee :) I really enjoy the Goldfinches here at the house. A good size group feeds here through the winter. I took so many photos of them last year, I think I'm going to do a plumage gallery showing them getting their summer molt.

Thanks for the ID. That was the first time I've seen a kinglet.

Kinglet it is, awesome shots by the way. The green on its wings is a good field mark, but don't only go by one marking alone ;)

-Matt

Thanks,

Trying to frame the shot for that bird was like a video game. Seeing the Kinglet for the first time was neat. It's song was really nice and pleasant. Now I can read up on the little guy.

I've shown this a million times already but here is the first one I ever got, I only had time for one shot.

Attachments

• Ruby-crowned Kinglet.JPG
    Ruby-crowned Kinglet.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 54
I've shown this a million times already but here is the first one I ever got, I only had time for one shot.

It's nice you were able to get the one photo. I was lucky to find a few in a parking lot. The area is a good place for some migrating birds. I see the last of the Robins in this area, lots of berries.

These birds, and their golden-crowned cousins that appear with them, are unmistakeable once you've experienced them. They're too small to be anything else, very active, not at all shy and usually talk a lot. Billlions of them were passing through the northern states in mid-October.

Yargh, hate those distracting goldfinches.

Yargh, hate those distracting goldfinches.

I had to smile at that. I have a feeder pole close to my window. The goldfinches aren't so peaceful to watch in a group. It's like watching a big brawl. Their always working out their pecking order.

You have to love the call the first one makes at near the feeder. It's a cute call. You can hear the single goldfinch saying anyone coming? I'm not doing this alone. Come on, lets eat.

I love when the tree's full of them all in song, very nice to hear.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back