• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID of a bird with four colors. (1 Viewer)

Luis_gls

Mexico
Hi, I'm trying to ID a bird I saw yesterday. I'm not good at describing but it's a medium sized bird that has four colors from tail to head: blue, green, orange and yellow. I saw it in Guerrero, Mexico if that help.
Note: The colors are distributed on the bird as sections, as if the bird were divided into four parts and each part had one of these colors.
I know it's not easy to identify a bird with these few and unprescient clues, I'm just trying my luck.

First thought was Gouldian finch - they're found worldwide as cagebirds.
There are several different colors but the pattern is like this:
800px-37709IMG_4118.JPG

But they're quite small.

Second thought was a trogon or motmot - but that's been covered already.

Third idea - how about a green jay? No orange but otherwise not too far off:
Green_Jay.jpg

Hi Luis and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. You're sure getting some beautiful birds posted to look over - sorry I can't be of any help with this one.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, I'm trying to ID a bird I saw yesterday. I'm not good at describing but it's a medium sized bird that has four colors from tail to head: blue, green, orange and yellow. I saw it in Guerrero, Mexico if that help.
Note: The colors are distributed on the bird as sections, as if the bird were divided into four parts and each part had one of these colors.
I know it's not easy to identify a bird with these few and unprescient clues, I'm just trying my luck.
Are you saying blue head?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back