• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August Moths (1 Viewer)

The entirety of my catch last night.

Campion 1
White Satin Moth 1
Buff Footman 1
Rustic / Uncertain 2
Bright-line Brown-eye 3
Common / Lesser Common Rustic 2
Marbled Beauty 1
Silver Y 1
Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing 2
Snout 2
Straw Dot 1

Also had a new micro, ID'd for me as Aspilapteryx tringipennella

Wasps, too damned many, anyone know why, I'm killing 20-40 now every time I have the light on. I only kill them because they get in to my porch where my toddler could easily get stung.

Attachments

• Aspilapteryx tringipennella.JPG
    Aspilapteryx tringipennella.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The entirety of my catch last night.

Campion 1
White Satin Moth 1
Buff Footman 1
Rustic / Uncertain 2
Bright-line Brown-eye 3
Common / Lesser Common Rustic 2
Marbled Beauty 1
Silver Y 1
Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing 2
Snout 2
Straw Dot 1

Also had a new micro, ID'd for me as Aspilapteryx tringipennella

Wasps, too damned many, anyone know why, I'm killing 20-40 now every time I have the light on. I only kill them because they get in to my porch where my toddler could easily get stung.
Despite living by a wildlife corridor I haven't had a wasp in my trap yet this year. I think you should survey your own house/grounds and maybe your neighbours' for a big wasps nest.

John

Meanwhile in and around the trap this morning were 23 moths of 13 species, the drop no doubt being weather driven with a stiff breeze from the SW overnight. Scalloped Hook-tip was a tick, always a nice result!

Numbers:

Willow Beauty 2
Common Rustic agg 3
Mother of Pearl 5
Flame Shoulder 3
Shuttle-shaped Dart 4

In addition to that were nice singles of Iron Prominent and Pale Prominent, and one of the rufous Uncertains that I gather are all the fashion this year.

John

I was told when I first started to never turn my trap on till after dusk and off before dawn to avoid wasps. I try to do this as much as possible and haven't had many wasps, so guess it works. I didn't use to run till dawn but have this year, I have notice an odd one or two the last few mornings at 04:30, but only on the outside and they go when the lamp is turned off. Perhaps put a timer on the plug if you can't be around early.

07/08. Low numbers, 47 of 27 species.
NFY - Dun-bar (surprised it's taken this long to get one) and Acrobasis advenella.
Lifer - Waved Black. Very pleased to see this one.rsz_72066_parascotia_fuliginaria_waved_black_welwyn_herts_070821_3.jpg

I was told when I first started to never turn my trap on till after dusk and off before dawn to avoid wasps. I try to do this as much as possible and haven't had many wasps, so guess it works. I didn't use to run till dawn but have this year, I have notice an odd one or two the last few mornings at 04:30, but only on the outside and they go when the lamp is turned off. Perhaps put a timer on the plug if you can't be around early.
I do this, they come in during the dead of night and my light is on a timer. I think John's suggestion of a nearby nest is a possible reason but I can't locate one.

Damp and a low overnight temperature of 13.9C meant Friday was good for trapping, 158 moths of 40 species. 26 Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing was the highest single species count so far this year - I always get more of them than Large Yellow Underwing. Highlights were the first Gothic for a few years; Plain Clay, Phoenix, Ear Moth, Barred Chestnut and Brown Plume were all new for the year and the micro moths Holly Tortrix and Epinotia brunnichana were new for the garden, bringing my garden total to 301 species, I've been trapping occasionally since 2007 and regularly since 2011. Aviemore, VC95.

Pretty rubbish last couple of nights due to wind and rain so nothing worth noting here but Pale Prominent was new for me. One however I'm struggling to ID (pic 3) Considered Swordgrass and Turnip but neither of those. Help please. Also would appreciate pointers on difference between August and September Thorn (pic 2). And finally is pic 1 a Nut-tree Tussock as pics don't seem to show the pale front end as much is this one.

Attachments

• 20210808_070442.jpg
    20210808_070442.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210808_070654.jpg
    20210808_070654.jpg
    914.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210808_114021.jpg
    20210808_114021.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
August Thorn - wings held nearly flat, outer-cross-line kinked near leading edge and faint central mark.
Sept Thorn - Plainer and paler, and without central dot. Outer cross-line not kinked.
Ex- Manley.
Third photo is very faded, can't honestly tell.

Again, my catch last night was paltry, this is it and just two wasps last night.

Common /Lesser Common Rustic 1
Rustic / Uncertain 5
Copper / Svensson's Copper Underwing 2
Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing 1
Willow Beauty 1
Flame Carpet 1
Bright-line Brown-eye 1
Early Thorn 1

Last edited:
FWIW....Portland Obs. had a Stephen’s Gem on Aug.6th...I believe a 3rd for the UK, and never been recorded elsewhere in Europe.😮

Cheers

I thought the 9th? The one I twitched in 2002 was the fifth British record with two already in the Channel Islands. A transatlantic species that can be a commercial pest so a potential mix of transatlantic vagrants and accidental imports.

All the best

Paul

I thought the 9th? The one I twitched in 2002 was the fifth British record with two already in the Channel Islands. A transatlantic species that can be a commercial pest so a potential mix of transatlantic vagrants and accidental imports.

All the best

Paul
According to PBO....seemingly now the 9th?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back