• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August Moths (1 Viewer)

My night just got a load better when I belatedly found this, along with my second record of Scarce Footman.

Attachments

• P8052258.JPG
    P8052258.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 7
  • P8052254.JPG
    P8052254.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 7
Jealous of your Least Carpet Andy, I've never had one.

But following on from my two NFG moths already this week, Coxcomb prominent and Knot Grass. I got a third today but the far less impressive Bryotopha affinis. I only identified it due to the excellent series of photographs in the third edition of the Manley book which includes several related species not illustrated in the Micro fieldguide.
Otherwise six more NFY today: Acleries variegana, Common Carpet, Yellow-tail, Lime-speck Pug, Buff Arches and Ear Moth. Still unusual numbers of ermines with 12 Ypo. rorrella the commonest today. And another Diamond-backed.

He can always go back (y)
Back in work Sunday I'm afraid. I do have a week booked off at the end of the month, but no excursions tied in yet, unlikely to be back down here till next year though. Looks not too wet now Friday night, but quite windy. We'll see. I'm happy with my 8 ticks though (I've rowed back on the Flounced Rustic, I can't convince myself that it's not within the variability of Common agg).

Jealous of your Least Carpet Andy, I've never had one.

But following on from my two NFG moths already this week, Coxcomb prominent and Knot Grass. I got a third today but the far less impressive Bryotopha affinis. I only identified it due to the excellent series of photographs in the third edition of the Manley book which includes several related species not illustrated in the Micro fieldguide.
Otherwise six more NFY today: Acleries variegana, Common Carpet, Yellow-tail, Lime-speck Pug, Buff Arches and Ear Moth. Still unusual numbers of ermines with 12 Ypo. rorrella the commonest today. And another Diamond-backed.
Newly established in Notts Steve but I didn't expect to get one here. Knot Grass, not something I get a lot but I got one last night too.

Ear Moth, not a chance of getting that past our recorder without dissection b ut I've never had any of them but I have 'probably' seen them all when I lived in Russia where they were much commoner.

Attachments

• 20170807100021844.JPG
    20170807100021844.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20170808035714389.jpg
    20170808035714389.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20170808040159476.JPG
    20170808040159476.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Very nice. Not been up to date for a while but been busy & now through 700 moth species for the year with the opportunity to compare Light & Dark Crimson Underwings in North Hampshire on Tuesday night. Phone pic attached.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 20210804_072820.jpg
    20210804_072820.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Very nice. Not been up to date for a while but been busy & now through 700 moth species for the year with the opportunity to compare Light & Dark Crimson Underwings in North Hampshire on Tuesday night. Phone pic attached.

All the best

Paul
You Southerners have it good but you pay the price in having to drink that filth you call beer.............;)

You Southerners have it good but you pay the price in having to drink that filth you call beer.............;)
Knocking back Tanglefoot or Old Thumper - or even Spitfire if you prefer low-alcohol beers - is a tough job but someone has to do it. ;)

I guess the only thing I can say now is Cheers!

John

Knocking back Tanglefoot or Old Thumper - or even Spitfire if you prefer low-alcohol beers - is a tough job but someone has to do it. ;)

I guess the only thing I can say now is Cheers!

John
Most of that real ale is bilge water, horrible stuff!

I remeber being in Devon somewhere with a mate who's an enthusiast and he waffled on about this stuff that was the supposedly the dogs, so politely I tried half, just a half at his suggestion as it was apparently so strong. All I can say is that I'm glad it was only a half, it was horrendous stuff.

Most of that real ale is bilge water, horrible stuff!

I remeber being in Devon somewhere with a mate who's an enthusiast and he waffled on about this stuff that was the supposedly the dogs, so politely I tried half, just a half at his suggestion as it was apparently so strong. All I can say is that I'm glad it was only a half, it was horrendous stuff.
Which it may have been, real ale is a gamble (certainly away from your own local where presumably one can rely on it being kept properly or it wouldn't be your local) and some people drink stuff I would send back. But if it's just personal taste, then enjoy your lager.

John

Which it may have been, real ale is a gamble (certainly away from your own local where presumably one can rely on it being kept properly or it wouldn't be your local) and some people drink stuff I would send back. But if it's just personal taste, then enjoy your lager.

John
I hate lager, I'm a plain and simple John Smoth's ;) man or any decent bitter. My favourite was a local brew, 'Kimberley' bitter by Hardy and Hanson but it and they are long gone.

Funnily enough though, I did have a very decent bitter recently called or by 'Flipside' at this establishment. Sadly, the painted pub sign outside, used to show the 'Old colunteer', a chap who was off to war in his tin hat but who was clearly older than most, I'll have to ask where that's gone and why?

I found a pic of the sign which is definitely no longer there and just found out that the micro brewerey 'Flipside', is vegan so I'll bet they objected to the war imagery. I wonder why the local historians haven't objected?

Attachments

• Volo.jpeg
    Volo.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I hate lager, I'm a plain and simple John Smoth's man or any decent bitter. My faourite was a local brew, 'Kimberley' Bitter by Hardy and Hanson but it and they are long gone.

Funnily enough though, I did have a very decent bitter recently called or by 'Flipside' at this establishment. Sadly, the painted pub sign outside, used to show the 'Old colunteer', a chap who was off to war in his tin hat but who was clearly older than most, I'll have to ask where that's gone and why?

I found a pic of the sign which is definitely no longer there and just found out that the micro brewerey 'Flipside', is vegan so I'll bet they objected to the war imagery. I wonder why the local historians haven't objected?
Sorry, you can't use "John Smith's" and "decent bitter" in the same sentence! Hardy and Hanson's used to be a decent brewery though.

Historians are becoming increasingly revisionist, haven't you noticed?

Anyway, back to moths. I was well impressed with Paul's Dark and Light Crimson Underwings in one photo and also relieved he's OK - I'd started to worry, he's been off-line for so long.

John

Sorry, you can't use "John Smith's" and "decent bitter" in the same sentence! Hardy and Hanson's used to be a decent brewery though.

Historians are becoming increasingly revisionist, haven't you noticed?

John
I actually drink more Guiness than anything else but many of these real ale pubs don't stock it, preferring instead to charge me a fiver for a 'lookey likey'.

06/08. Last night was breezy and very cool so numbers were down. 58 of 30 species.
Only highlight was the second Dewick's Plusia of the year. The Norfolk website suggests they are established and breeding so I guess they are doing that around here too, in low numbers.

Quick comment on the beer theme......
I was born and brought up in Tadcaster, where my father worked all his life at John Smith's and my uncle ditto at Sam Smith's. I know which is supposed to be the better beer but I prefer John's, maybe because I used to get through a lot of my dad's allowance.

Back to moths. Both cool and a bit windy last night so just 17 moths of 13 species but including two NFY, Square-spot Rustic and Least Yellow Underwing.

A bit of catching up after last week's excitement:

On the morning of 4th August I found 2 NFY in the trap: August Thorn and Dark Crimson Underwing (as previously advertised on here). Total was 31/20 species.

Numbers:
Clay 2
BBYUW 5
Flame Shoulder 2
Ruby Tiger 2
Box Moth 4
Uncertain 2

Also a very small Peppered Moth of a light hue.

The following morning (5th August) I found six NFY, two of which turned out to be lifers: Dingy Footman and the micro Mecyna flavalis while the rest were expected annuals: Brimstone Moth, Dusky Thorn, Bright-line Brown-eye and Brown China-mark. Total was 44/25 species.

Numbers:

Box Moth 5
Elephant Hawk-moth 2
Large YUW 3
Flame Shoulder 2
Mother of Pearl 3
Bright-line Brown-eye 2
BBYUW 2
Shuttle-shaped Dart 6
Tree Lichen Beauty 2
Knot Grass 2

I'm hoping to put the trap out tonight but no decision yet as the weather forecast is unsettled up to 2100 at least.

John

Quick comment on the beer theme......
I was born and brought up in Tadcaster, where my father worked all his life at John Smith's and my uncle ditto at Sam Smith's. I know which is supposed to be the better beer but I prefer John's, maybe because I used to get through a lot of my dad's allowance.

Back to moths. Both cool and a bit windy last night so just 17 moths of 13 species but including two NFY, Square-spot Rustic and Least Yellow Underwing.
My mum was born in Kirkstall, Leeds and my grandad used to take me fishing in Tadcaster.

Another Knot Grass here last night Steve, just started to rain again and it's not very warm but will probably have the light on anyway.

An ID question with no pic unfortunately. As I was going through the trap this morning after a 2am panic of heavy rain resulting in a make shift cover I found a small dark underwing with a very pastel yellow face and 'forehead' which flew off before I had a chance to photograph. The yellow face caught my attention and the best ID i could come up with is Lesser Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing. Sound about right?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back