• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice wanted on Trinidad/Wildwings/Pax Guest House (1 Viewer)

holmesneg

Hi,

Be gentle with me, it is my first post....and typically, I want something!

I am a keen UK birder who, over the past few years, has enjoyed a birding element to family holidays to Costa Rica, Panama, India, Florida, Mallorca, France.

Now I am considering taking the plunge and going on a more dedicated birding holiday. I have read about an 8 day trip with Wildwings staying at the Pax guest house in Trinidad. They do a birding package that includes trips out pretty much everyday to the hotspots. This is within my budget, unlike some of the horrendously priced briding trips.

Does anyone have any experience of Trinidad/Wildwings/Pax that may help me decide whether this is the right trip for me?

Anything would be appreciated as this is a new location and new type of trip for me....I need to get my money's worth.

Thanks

Nick

holmesneg said:
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of Trinidad/Wildwings/Pax that may help me decide whether this is the right trip for me?

Anything would be appreciated as this is a new location and new type of trip for me....I need to get my money's worth.

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick and welcome.

I have been to trinidad for a day (!) and you probably would be wise to go with either Wildwings/Pax or Asa Wright. Both offer good accommodation and reliable guides. Wildwings/Pax is cheaper, and something that I have often thought about doing. Wildwings generally offer pretty good value for money compared to a lot of companies.

Steve

Steve Lister said:
Hi Nick and welcome.

I have been to trinidad for a day (!) and you probably would be wise to go with either Wildwings/Pax or Asa Wright. Both offer good accommodation and reliable guides. Wildwings/Pax is cheaper, and something that I have often thought about doing. Wildwings generally offer pretty good value for money compared to a lot of companies.

Steve

The day was a side trip from Tobago by the way. Many people combine a week on Trinidad with a few days on Tobago, which offers a few different birds and is generally a nicer place in my opinion. Wildwings could organise a combination for you.

Steve

holmesneg said:
Hi,

Be gentle with me, it is my first post....and typically, I want something!

I am a keen UK birder who, over the past few years, has enjoyed a birding element to family holidays to Costa Rica, Panama, India, Florida, Mallorca, France.

Now I am considering taking the plunge and going on a more dedicated birding holiday. I have read about an 8 day trip with Wildwings staying at the Pax guest house in Trinidad. They do a birding package that includes trips out pretty much everyday to the hotspots. This is within my budget, unlike some of the horrendously priced briding trips.

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

What are the dates of your tour? I'll be leading a birding tour to T&T in January and will be at Pax from the evening of Jan. 24th until the morning of Jan. 28th. It would be great to meet you there. In my highly prejudiced opinion (I've been birding there more than 50 times), you’ll have a great time birding in Trinidad and will get a lot for your money.

I have no personal experience with Wildwings, but I’ve been staying at Pax Guest House Mt. St. Benedict since about 1978 and love everything about it. Visit their website at http://www.paxguesthouse.com/ for more information. Planetware has some nice pics of the Mt. St. Benedict area:

http://www.planetware.com/photos/TRI/TRI073.HTM
http://www.planetware.com/photos/TRI/TRI098.HTM
http://www.planetware.com/photos/TRI/TRI099.HTM
http://www.planetware.com/photos/TRI/TRI074.HTM
http://www.planetware.com/photos/TRI/TRI075.HTM

To quote briefly from the new edition of my Birdwatcher's Guide to Trinidad and Tobago: “At the edge of the Northern Range, with the ornate tapestry of the blue-green forest on Mount Tabor at its back and the lush Plains of Caroni at its feet, lies the Pax Guest House Mount St. Benedict. Centrally located in the cool heights (250 m, 820 ft.) of the largest and oldest (1912) Benedictine monastery in the Caribbean, Pax boasts 19 rooms, three tennis courts, and several nature trails on a 243-ha (600-acre) estate. The area contains two distinctly different types of evergreen forest: softwood (Caribbean pine) and hardwood. Guided tours through the estate are available… Pax Guest House is centrally located for birding excursions in all directions and is itself surrounded by bird-rich habitat. The manager, Gerard Ramsawak, is the epitome of a perfect host, providing delectable Caribbean dishes, sumptuous lunches, and sublime rum punch while adding his own charming personality to an already pleasing ambiance. You may telephone Pax directly from overseas, and you may telephone overseas from Pax. Piarco Airport is about 11 km (7 mi.) to the east, and Port-of-Spain is 12 km (7.5 mi.) to the west… Electricity at Pax is standard 120-volt, 60-cycle alternating current; appliances usually will need no converters. Most rooms are on the second floor. Baths are mostly shared, with separate men’s and ladies’ rooms. There also are efficiency (self-contained) rooms. Breakfast usually is served from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m., lunch buffet at 12:30 p.m., and dinner buffet at 7:30 p.m. Birders can arrange to have breakfast served as early as 5:30 a.m. or to have fruit and beverages set out for them the night before. Enormous lunches are packed every day for picnics in the field.”

Pax uses a comfortable van for birding trips, with Kenny Calderon as their local bird expert. Kenny’s father, Lawrence Calderon, was the first professional bird tour guide in Trinidad, way back in the 1960s. Kenny’s sister, Molly, is a local bird expert at the Asa Wright Nature Centre.

In my experience it's easier to find Lesser Swallow-tailed and Chestnut-collared Swifts, Rufous Nightjar, and Short-tailed and Zone-tailed Hawks in the Pax area than it is anywhere else in Trinidad. Gerard has planted an extensive hummingbird/butterfly garden that's produced 13 species of hummingbirds, including a very cooperative Brown Violet-ear on my last visit.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have about birding in T&T. You might consider visiting my Birding Trinidad website at http://birderbill.us and following some of the links to learn more about the area.

All the best,
--Bill Murphy, Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Great to see more and more people interested in birding in Trinidad!

I believe we have the highest number of species per area so you'll definitely see quite a variety of birds in a short amount of time.

Jan to Mar is usually the best time to visit Pax or Asa Wright. If you check my gallery, you will get a very good idea of what to expect in Trinidad.

I have pictures from:
Caroni Swamp
Sumaria Trace
Mt. St. Benedict (Near Pax)
Asa Wright
Brickfield reserve
Aripo Savannah
Cacandee

... and a few other places

It would be useful for you to find out who the guides are for various tours in advance of committing since the quality and willingness of the guide will determine if you have a good time or a great time!

Maybe I'll see you when in Trinidad ...

Enjoy.

Aside from the birding, supper on the terrace at Pax is an experience worth travelling to Trinidad for. The last time I went the two non birders were as enchanted with it as the birders!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back