• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire Garden Watch (2 Viewers)

first time I have ever seen a Reed Bunting in my garden. Food must be very scarce. I always have around 30 Sparrows 4 Robins, a few Blackbird and Pigeons, the odd Jay and half a doz Dunnock, but RBunting!

Nice one, I have only once seen a Reed Bunting around our garden area which is in some ways a bit surprising given the environment. We again have a "tree full" of Siskin, Redpoll, Chaffinch and Goldfinch this morning. I have run out of sunflower hearts again !

We had a single reed bunting regularly through February in our garden in Warndon Villages, Worcester but not seen it lately

One Siskin Gone

Sitting looking at my garden this morning I watched a Sparrow Hawk take a Siskin from a tree about 15ft in front of me. The cycle of life goes on !

Not strictly in Worcestershire but almost on the border and did not want to start another thread but I had a Female - then Male Greenfinch looking for a nesting site in my conifer...not very inspiring I know but as I have only managed a Robin/Dunnock/Magpie and Pigeon in 10 years it is to me.....

Keith :t:

sorry crap pics - especially the Male...shot through glass.

Attachments

• Canon 89 083.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 89 083.jpg low.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Canon 89 077.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 89 077.jpg low.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 45
Sitting looking at my garden this morning I watched a Sparrow Hawk take a Siskin from a tree about 15ft in front of me. The cycle of life goes on !

I had the unwelcome visitor the other day too. My bird feeder became a feeder for a bird.

Attachments

• SH-2.jpg
    SH-2.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 60
Spotted this beauty feeding on the flowers of one of our Acers today. Would someone care to identify the species of bee please?

Attachments

• Bee 1_resize.jpg
    Bee 1_resize.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Bee 2_resize.jpg
    Bee 2_resize.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 39
Spotted this beauty feeding on the flowers of one of our Acers today. Would someone care to identify the species of bee please?

.........I read it as "one of our acres"...HE HE HE.....

Brill pics....I find these so hard to capture.

.........I read it as "one of our acres"...HE HE HE.....

Brill pics....I find these so hard to capture.

Keith

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't mean to give the impression that it was easy. This (essentially) involved me sitting motionless on the lawn for... 15 mins or so.

My local House Sparrows have successfully fledged 5 young so far along my street. Below is a photo of one of the juvs taken in the back garden

Attachments

• House Sparrow (juvenile) smll - Back garden, 17th May 2013.jpg
    House Sparrow (juvenile) smll - Back garden, 17th May 2013.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 69
It was very windy in the extended garden this morning but I managed to get enough shots to make up this focus stacked image of a Dandelion Head.

Attachments

• Dandelion Head_resize.jpg
    Dandelion Head_resize.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 66
Starlings Everywhere !!!!!

Three years ago we never saw a Starling in our garden, today it looks as if several nests have fledged and there have been over 20 young and several adults in our garden all day and they have eaten an entire suet cylinder in 24 hours !!! Also I have just had to rescue a youngster from our garden pond, somehow it got below the net and was trapped between the net and the water!
Its really great to see so many of them here today :)
Alex

Three years ago we never saw a Starling in our garden, today it looks as if several nests have fledged and there have been over 20 young and several adults in our garden all day and they have eaten an entire suet cylinder in 24 hours !!! Also I have just had to rescue a youngster from our garden pond, somehow it got below the net and was trapped between the net and the water!
Its really great to see so many of them here today :)
Alex

I meant to put this title on earlier in the month as almost every bird I saw was a Starling.
The acid test will be if one lands in my tiny garden though.....they do hundred miles an hour flypast already.

The young birds are flooding into the garden now. Sunday I counted 11 juv House Sparrows and this morning an incredible 22 juv Starlings.

Add to that we started having our garden fat feeder (my wife's homemade fat cakes) visited by a Great Spotted Woodpecker on the weekend for the first time in 10 years of living here (in a terraced street in a town centre!).

All in all a good garden weekend...oh yeah and the BBQ wasn't too bad on Sunday either!

Attachments

• juvenile Starling being fed.jpg
    juvenile Starling being fed.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 60
While I was posting Tim's requested gull shots this morning, I became aware of a real commotion going on in our front garden. It appears that our Greenfinches have fledged four chicks.
Apologies, but images taken through double glazing and one's the other side of the road!

Attachments

• GF1.jpg
    GF1.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 68
  • GF2.jpg
    GF2.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 64
  • GF3.jpg
    GF3.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 90
An uncommon visitor and lots of young birds

I spent a couple of hours in the garden this afternoon with my camera and saw the following 19 species in the garden - Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock, Collared Dove, Wood Pigeon, Jay, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Magpie, Moorhen, Starling and rarest of all - a House Sparrow. This is the first House Sparrow that I have seen in our garden for over 18 months!!! Overhead I saw Swallows and Swifts and a Mallard. I took a lot of photos particularly of youbg birds some of which are attached below. I am not sure if the Coal Tit is a young bird or a moulting adult but whatever it is the scruffiest Coal Tit I have ever seen ! Photos are
House Sparrow - rare for me
Coal Tit - aka Scruffy
Robin
Greenfinch
Starling

Attachments

• S House Sparrow.jpg
    S House Sparrow.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 71
  • S Coal Tit.jpg
    S Coal Tit.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 58
  • S Robin.jpg
    S Robin.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 65
  • S Greenfinch.jpg
    S Greenfinch.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 59
  • S Starling.jpg
    S Starling.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 66
This summer we decided to do some supplementary feeding in our humble terraced house garden (n the centre of a built up part of town), mainly to help the local population of House Sparrows & Starlings during the breeding season. The food we've been putting out is dried mealworms and homemade fat cakes.

The breeding of both species has been very successful with successive broods of House Sparrows and good numbers of juv Starlings being fed by the adults on the aforementioned food.

A real bonus though was having the feeders visited by a pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers for the first time and flying off with mouthfuls of fat cake. When the young fledged (2 juvs) they then visited the garden to be fed by the adult male. It was a real privilege to watch and we are still being visited by the adults every few days even now!

Attachments

• Great Spotted Woodpecker - Garden, 1st August 2013.jpg
    Great Spotted Woodpecker - Garden, 1st August 2013.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 77
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back