• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wing flapping Cardinal (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Why would an adult male Northern Cardinal flap it's wings like a fledgling begging for food? I've seen this quite a number of times and maybe other birds do it as well but I've only noticed it with the Male Cardinals.

Even stranger, is I see this when they are at an open feeder feeding themselves.

Hi KC,

Seen the same in the yard and on fence post here, close to feeder. Bird(s) in adult plumage. Never have I seen and heard any vocalization from them when it was observed. Has always been in late spring, early summer. EDIT: Plural events, with singular male birds END EDIT

My thought, without evidence is a second year young adult that has undergone all molts up to adult prebasic molt. Essentially, a bird that appears as an adult, learning to fully be an adult,
but not quite having 'caught on' yet.

But, I've also seen the same with attached pairs, when the male behaves in the manner describes, but a female arrives to present food to it. I couldn't find a valid citation to back the ideal. In this sub forum, there's an thread that relates to geese called 'Geese on the Move', there's a few links that describe how sub adult geese form small flocks and move around, on occasion. Loosely, what you're describing does seem to parallel the same general, although not specific, behavior.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts on this Bill. I should have mentioned that the male is always alone when I have witnessed this behavior. Gonna have to do some research on this.

Must be an eastern Northern Cardinal thing, KC. Never seen it out west.
;)

Just watched a male cardinal doing this at an open feeder. There was a female present as well.
A Google search as to why brought me to this forum.
I tend to agree with the second-year adult theory. He was in full color, but looked small.
They flew off together.

I have only seen this behavior in the morning and there were other birds feeding at the three hanging feeders. it may be an expression of thankfullness? For the food. And without a wildlife camera videoing him, we don’t know if they only do it when they know we are looking at them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back